Liam Smith, What Next?

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Scissors, Jul 22, 2018.

1. Scissors

Scissors Posts are sponsored by Matchroom Full Member

Feb 11, 2018
    Don’t know where Liam Smith goes after that defeat. He’s not ranked by any other organisation so he’s not going to get another world title shot any time soon.

He struggles to make weight so can’t move down. He doesn’t have the power to move up.

Only option I can see for him is signing with Hearn, having a domestic dust up with Eggington (be one hell of a fight to watch) and then leading on to a big money one with Brook (no doubt Hearn would try and sell that as a PPV). There’s a possible Cheeseman fight too.

Or stay with Warren and try the WBO route once again? But surely that’s exhausted? Or a Merseyside derby against Metcalf who just won a WBC international belt so a ranking that will come with it.

im sparticus and lewis gassed like this.
  2. Here's Johnny

Here's Johnny Well-Known Member Full Member

Jan 18, 2015
    Eggington, Fowler, Metcalfe and Brook have to be options. All great and winnable fights. I think they’d all be wars too.

3. Scissors

Feb 11, 2018
    Yeah Fowler is another one. There would be some great fights there.

4. Scissors

Feb 11, 2018
    Just seen the British title is vacant, could that be an option? Or Zerafa for the commonwealth.

5. Here's Johnny

Here's Johnny Well-Known Member Full Member

Jan 18, 2015
    Don’t know if he’d get up for them fights because of the money. But if he can win them it doesn’t harm his chances of being a voluntary for a World title if something comes up. The yanks will like him even more now after that.

I will say this though he won’t be as bad as Paul and just wait around claiming he deserves title fights. Liam loves a fight.

6. ashishwarrior

ashishwarrior Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Apr 19, 2010
    On that performance oscher will keep being g him over a few more times for other GBP fighters
    should have gone with Hearn long ago
    what he get for last night roughly 45 grand
    not bad but eddie would get him more imo

7. Scissors

Feb 11, 2018
    I know Callum got more than double that for the Fielding fight and so did Rocky I think. So maybe the big domestic clashes are the way forward for him.

moog likes this.
  8. ashishwarrior

ashishwarrior Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Apr 19, 2010
    love to see him in with heffron
    but f w a n k would not make that in a million years

9. Twentyman

Twentyman John Fury’s nut sack.... Full Member

Apr 20, 2016
    I can honestly see the Yanks taking him under their wing like they’ve done with Spike. Putting him on the undercards of major fights against stylistically suitable opponents, building his reputation up. The Mexicans know all about him now too, and I think he has their respect and they enjoy his style of fighting.

I just can’t see him stepping down to fight the Sam Eggington’s...that would be a bread and butter fight for him. Personally, I think a fight with Brook would be a corker but they’re too focused on fighting Khan.

10. Northadox

Northadox Active Member Full Member

Apr 9, 2017
    Brook would be a good fight. But when you look at the title holders at 154 Smith really isn’t on their level

11. Scissors

Feb 11, 2018
    I think you’re right to be honest. The HBO announcer was bigging him up in the ring afterwards and was saying thanks for coming over, every time you come over we know it’s going to be a fight etc.

Twentyman likes this.
  12. Octolony shore

Octolony shore Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 14, 2016
    He loves a fight so he'll get plenty of offers, I would love to see him fight brook.

Scissors likes this.
  13. lewis gassed

lewis gassed The Bronze Dosser Full Member

Nov 24, 2013
    Stay at 154, it's shallow enough. Khan, Brook, Eggington and Cheeseman are all good fights.

Scissors likes this.
  14. moog

moog Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 12, 2012
    I agree. I can see him being a voluntary for the top boys, a good undercsrd fighter in states. Agree he goes through Eggington. I really like the Brook fight, Liam has more heart, maybe a better engine but Brook the better boxer. Personally think Brook would win but would have a tough night doing so. If his eye went though Liam would hit him with everything including kitchen sink.

Scissors and Twentyman like this.
  15. lewis gassed

lewis gassed The Bronze Dosser Full Member

Nov 24, 2013
    I give props to Smith, I didn't expect him to go 12 rounds, he's tough and has heart.

stittyb and Scissors like this.