Liam Williams...... Is he a legit world class prospect?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by pistal47, Feb 11, 2019.

1. pistal47

pistal47 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 14, 2007
    I really, REALLY love the way this kid fights, I get a lot of enjoyment watching him fight and really appreciate his sharp and accurate punching, very good hand and Foot speed......... I mean this kid really does have moments of abaolute beautiful boxi g and moments where he looks truly elite world class, but something is really off with him mentally. It's an intangible thing and he lacks a true killer instinct.

@Serge and @305th , I know you guys have seen a good amount of him and like him as a fighter. In your guys highly regarded opinions and analysis of him -- which I've thoroughly enjoyed in the past...... Is he a future worls champ, contender, gatekeeper..... Do you think he can tie it all together and reach his enormous potential or no? I really wanna see this kiddo good, out of the toung guys from the UK that I really like such as Josh Taylor, Williams, Aston Brown, Josh Buatsi, Fowler, Callum and Liam Smith -- where does Liam Williams rank as a potential prospect compared to thise guys and how would you rank them potential-wise from top to bottom? I truly appreciate the feedback fellas. I love the current UK boxing scene and there are some truly exciting young prospects/fighters that I'm really going to enjoy watching and following in the future.

2. Robney

Robney ᴻᴼ ᴸᴼᴻᴳᴲᴿ ᴲ۷ᴵᴸ Full Member

Jan 18, 2010
    He will be a fringe contender/gatekeeper in my eyes. Moving up to a much tougher weightclass at his level won't be doing him many favors I fear.
    He's probably on par Liam Smith's level (as we have seen in those 2 fights), which means he's not going to win a titlebelt unless it's a vacant one.

pistal47 likes this.
  3. Northadox

Northadox Active Member Full Member

Apr 9, 2017
    I rate him as a fighter & hope he does well

Can he beat the likes of Charlo/Hurd tho.. i can’t see it personally

Or even worse if he stays at MW.. Jacobs, Canelo, Charlo etc

I just can’t see it

pistal47 likes this.
  4. pistal47

pistal47 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 14, 2007
    I agree though I hate to say it. Really love how he boxes though and enjoy watching him.

Northadox likes this.
  5. London To Alabama

London To Alabama New Member banned Full Member

Feb 12, 2019
    He's quality, but there seems to be something slightly missing. I mean you'd have expected him to have beat Liam Smith as he's more talented than him. Still, the Ingle move seems to have done him good and he's still very young at 26. 154 is quite weak atm I can see him picking up a title.

6. 305th

305th Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 28, 2018
    I appreciate the tag mate but at the risk of being a complete ducker there are other far, far more well-suited to giving an opinion on Liam than me!

The only thing I will say is that I think he was beaten well before he stepped into the ring with Smith the second time for a host of reasons, the same Smith who made the admittedly raw Munguia look ragged and overhyped. Also, he seems to have made noticeable positive stylistic changes since the Ingle move.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
    pistal47 likes this.