Liam Williams vs. Christopher Livingstone Eubank Jr.

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by IntentionalButt, Aug 4, 2020.

The Machine or Next Best?

Poll closed Jan 1, 2021.
  1. Williams on points

33.3%
  2. Williams by stoppage

22.2%
  3. Draw

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Eubank on points

27.8%
  5. Eubank by stoppage

16.7%
  1. Dangerwood84

Dangerwood84 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 21, 2017
    He should be dominating and stopping that version of Pascal though. Yeah Jack is a frustrating type.

Badbot likes this.
  2. Brixton Bomber

Brixton Bomber Obsessed with Boxing banned Full Member

Sep 21, 2013
    Nah, nowhere near prime.

James, in his prime, would have walloped Truax silly.

Greg Price99 likes this.
  3. lufcrazy

lufcrazy requiescat in pace Full Member

Sep 15, 2009
    Abraham was far superior to Strum imo. He was ranked higher then him every year they were MW title holders.

Plus he held top spot in SMW when it became a wasteland.

4. IntentionalButt

IntentionalButt Guy wants to name his çock 'macho' that's ok by me Full Member

Nov 30, 2006
    Yet in spite of all that he was a very one-dimensional fighter and historically very weak belt holder in h2h match-ups.

...and Sturm would've UD'ed him.

5. lufcrazy

Sep 15, 2009
    He was one dimensional, but it was a good dimension imo.

He'd have knocked Sturm into retirement had Felix ever taken the fight.

Strum had an excellent jab, but he didn't have much else. You can nullify an excellent jab by jabbing with the jabber and Abraham was certainly good enough to do that. Combined with his iron jaw and crushing power, he definitely would have stopped Felix.

The MW is traditionally a strong division, but you have remember the lies of Quincy Taylor and Doug DeWitt have held belts there. AA is no MW great, but he's not as bad as some titlists and certainly superior to Sturm, imo.

6. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    We're going to have to agree to disagree. Sturm deserving the nod against Oscar (who isn't even a real middleweight) trumps Abe's whole reign IMO. Oscar would probably take a wide decision over Arthur, with no controversy.

It would have been high guard vs. high guard, two stiff and robotic jab-forward Euro types, except that Catic would be playing chess to Abraham's checkers. His jab was significantly better than was the Armenian's...while he is savvy enough to not eat any of the clean right hands that would be Abe's only prayer for a miracle from-behind one-shotter.

I didn't say the absolute weakest ever...but weak indeed. A couple of dregs aside, there's a long and proud tradition of titlists at 160.

Badbot and George Crowcroft like this.
  7. MorvidusStyle

MorvidusStyle Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 11, 2017
    I would love to see Williams destroy Eubank, but unfortunately I'm not convinced he does. If Eubank can take Groves' power, I think he can take Williams' too. And Williams did fade in the first Smith fight, lacked will to win in the second. So that's not a good recipe against a grinder who is very tough to put away. Might be a bad matchup. Eubank is bigger too.

Greg Price99 likes this.
  8. lufcrazy

Sep 15, 2009
    In terms of who achieved more as a MW, if we're scraping the bottom of this barrel, I wouldn't argue too vociferously.

But I do feel strongly enough to reiterate that no way would Sturm beat AA.

9. dinovelvet

dinovelvet Antifanboi Full Member

Jul 21, 2012
    Williams has way too much technical skill for Eubanks but he could potentially capitulate if the going gets tough. Eubanks would have to take a leathering before his pressure starts to take effect... It would probably be too late like it was against Billy and Groves.

CST80 likes this.
  10. dinovelvet

dinovelvet Antifanboi Full Member

Jul 21, 2012
    Plus Sturm ducked him

lufcrazy likes this.
  11. jquest

jquest Active Member Full Member

Oct 30, 2014
    I would say prime Degale was only ever seen for a few rounds in a few fights. Great talent but would always kind of switch off in some of his biggest fights or do the opposite of what he was good at. He was slugging it out with Badou Jack making it a harder fight than he needed to

IntentionalButt likes this.
  12. jquest

jquest Active Member Full Member

Oct 30, 2014
    Even 1 round in CEJ was taking another lesson. The Korobov injury was a gift for him that night.

Baneofthegame, CST80 and Wizbit1013 like this.
  13. Patter983

Patter983 Active Member Full Member

Jul 20, 2018
    Some people saying Eubank will deal with a come forward fighter like Williams, Williams has the ability to look like pernel whittaker against the skills of eubank! He will fight off the back foot boxing his head off early on and put the pressure on more later in the fight !

14. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
  15. Aussie Invader

Aussie Invader Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Jan 5, 2017
    who didn't sturm duck?
    i mean seriously.