Lifting programs

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by Dannymita, Dec 26, 2021.

1. Dannymita

Dannymita Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 21, 2019
    I'm looking for something new for the new year ...I've just got through with a smolov jnr cycle and made progress on my reps rather than my one rep max but ...strangely enough after a hard n heavy bench n chest session (an hour n half ) I decided to test my 1 rep max on shoulder press after a month of not doing the lift and threw up 82.5 when heavily fatigued...which I found weird but I'm not complaining.

What are some decent lifting programs people here have run and made serious gains with

Wendler 5-3-1
    Juggernaut
    Strong lifts
    Super squat
    texas method
    hepburn
    Starting strength

Anyone ran any...I'm looking for something new
    I need to train abit smarter this year ...I want to try and have a year injury free...to do that I'm having to **** can deadlifts in favour of hex bar deadlifts.

Current lifts +no cheating... bouncing of the bar or with **** form etc are

Bench - 120kg
    Squat - 160kg
    Deadlift (sumo) - 170 ( my back is literally just not upto this anymore)
    Military press - 82.5kg
    Bent over row - 130kg

N before I get a those lifts are weak...they aren't all time PBS they are what I can currently do at 36 and I'm a natural lifter

Last edited: Dec 26, 2021
    ZablieJudahnoff and lepinthehood like this.
  2. Lazar

Lazar Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 3, 2016
    What’s your body weight?

3. Dannymita

Jan 21, 2019
    Xx -fatcunt lol

100kg

4. Ilesey

Ilesey ~ Full Member

Jul 22, 2004
    What are your goals?

When you say gains is this strength? Weight loss? Muscle growth?

What is your nutrition like?

5. Ilesey

Ilesey ~ Full Member

Jul 22, 2004
    You’re a strong lad FYI, those numbers aren’t bad.

Jackstraw and Dannymita like this.
  6. Dannymita

Jan 21, 2019
    Strength but without just piling weight on...I'd say im probably about 18% bodyfat ..my eatngs good most of the time to be fair... I could probably stand to get in a little bit more protein...I have abit of a fat ******* day on Saturdays where I have a takeaway and occasionally get shitfaced... So I try n eat pretty well the rest of the week

7. Dannymita

Jan 21, 2019
    Cheers...they've just dropped abit over the years and I'm struggling to get back through injury etc
    For a bloke my size I just think it should be a little higher...my training partners strengths just suddenly exploded and I'm getting abit jaded with training when I'm progressing at a snails pace

8. Lazar

Lazar Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 3, 2016
    I ask because the lift numbers are meaningless without providing the body weight. Your lifts are at intermediate level but I think you could easily move to advanced if you leaned out. (what’s your height?)

Solid natural numbers where you can be considered advanced would be hitting 3 out of 4 of the following:

Bench 1.5x body weight
    Squat 2x body weight
    Deadlift 2.5x body weight
    15 chin-ups

At a glance that might seem a lot but I think you could hit those very quickly if you just stripped unnecessary body fat.

Dannymita likes this.
  9. Dannymita

Jan 21, 2019
    All time PBS for anyone interested were around age 30

127.5 kg bench
    160kg squat +just not particularly good at this lift)
    200kg Deadlift
    82.5kg military press

Used to be pretty proud of my 50kg weighted pull up lol

10. Dannymita

Jan 21, 2019
    Erm bout 100 kg and 6ft 1 ... Definitely carry some extra fat nowadays ..I'd say probably around the 18% bodyfat area

I think deadlifting 2.5 is probably too much nowadays.....hex bar I'd say that's very realistic as it takes out the part of the lift where I normally get injured..I've had form checked by numerous trainers and been told there's no problem there..they think it's just wear n tear

Lazar likes this.
  11. Dannymita

Jan 21, 2019
    Anyone ran any of the programs?

12. Ilesey

Ilesey ~ Full Member

Jul 22, 2004
    If it were me mate I would focus on increasing your main lifts - squat bench deads and military press.

3-5 sets of 5 reps.

Then focus on some decent assistance exercises for each.

Some decent stiff legged deads for and ab work etc for squats. Shoulder presses and rows for your bench. Dips and pull ups for your OHP / Military press. Maybe some rows, ab work and I quite liked leg press.

3-5 sets, 10 - 15 reps.

I’ve been running this for years and made great progress squatting a 195kg squat at one point when I could barely squat anything at the start and I mean anything.

Nutrition - reasonable amount of protein, lots of water and eat clean natural foods. Cut sugars. Real simple stuff. Progress small as it’s a marathon not a sprint. Don’t worry if progress stalls - bad sessions happen. Get over it listen to your body, ramp up and have another go.

Importantly - sleep, rest. Your body needs it.

Jackstraw, don owens and Dannymita like this.
  13. Dannymita

Jan 21, 2019
    Kin hell...If I put 195 on my back id fold like amir khan after a left hook lol

Great lift... I've sorta got caught up in singles doubles trebles since the first lockdown and basically a year off n probably neglected more rep based work so I might give this a go

Ilesey likes this.
  14. Dannymita

Jan 21, 2019
    Didn't know boxers trained like this?

15. Brixton Bomber

Brixton Bomber Obsessed with Boxing banned Full Member

Sep 21, 2013
    How about Deepwater or Dog Crapp?

Dannymita likes this.