Listen to the noise during the intro for Tyson-Williams

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by McGrain, Oct 13, 2019.

1. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    This content is protected

Not sure i've heard anything quite like it. Say what you like about the man but i'm not sure there's ever been anything like it in terms of phenom and I include Louis and Ali in that. But maybe not. He's there, anyway.

ForemanJab, reznick, Sangria and 3 others like this.
  2. louis54

louis54 Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 20, 2013
    Tyson was for awhile the biggest thing in sports and not even close

3. Sangria

Sangria You bleed like Mylee Full Member

Nov 13, 2010
    Damn. That sounded beyond bedlam in there. Haven't watched the entire fight in 15 years. Tyson doesn't hurt his knee and Danny is done within 2 rounds. But those fans in Louisville were going berserk!!

4. ETM

ETM I thought I did enough to win. Full Member

Mar 19, 2012
    Love him or hate him Mike Tyson was one of a kind. There will never be another.
    With that said weird fight. Tyson I thought looked good for his age. He was nailing Williams with some nice left hands. That was the best his left had looked in years. Suddenly he just lost the will to fight Midway through the 4th.
    Tyson won all 3 rounds + points off Williams he was dominating at least on the cards.

Brixton Bomber likes this.
  5. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    I've never seen anything like Tyson in my lifetime. His peak fights were E-L-E-C-T-R-I-C. You could cut the air with a knife such was the tension, expectation and excitement. I watched some of his big fights in pubs and man was it something. His aggression and ferocity, his speed, his power, man what a mix. Everyone knew he was going to try and knock his opponent senseless as soon as that bell rang and he often did. The atmosphere can barely be described. Many people genuinely thought he was invincible. History has always shown such expectations to be foolhardy but he was the most exciting thing in sports for some time. Even when he was shown to be mortal many still thought he wasn't and you can clearly see even at this point (Macs video) he was still a sensation.

Brixton Bomber, ETM and reznick like this.
  6. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    Only Ali imo made such a massive media and public impression in Boxing. And Tyson still had that appeal and fame long after he was actually successful in the sport. It's going to take a truly successful big name boxer to come even close to being as world wide famous as those two. Not sure we'll see it for a heavyweight especially, in our lifetime!

7. Cecil

Cecil Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 22, 2015
    Tyson simply reignited not just the heavyweight division but boxing in general.
    He was a phenom.
    Having said that it’s virtually impossible to surpass Ali’s impact because apart from dominating the sport it was also his cultural impact.
    He was probably the most famous person in the world at his height.

8. Skins

Skins Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 20, 2011
    One of my favorite heavyweight brawls:headbash

9. Brixton Bomber

Brixton Bomber Obsessed with Boxing banned Full Member

Sep 21, 2013
    You could show someone a picture of Tyson anywhere in the world and they would recognise him (same with Ali).

Mayweather isn't anywhere CLOSE to being as popular as Mike. Mike was popular on a whole other level.

Hell, Balrog/M.Bison (depending on which version you had) was Mike Tyson! No fighter was in a video game back then.

I genuinely believe that Mike was the "Baddest man on the planet" in his time. I couldn't think of ANY top fighter from any discipline that would have lasted with him.