Liston v Tyson

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by lufcrazy, Jun 29, 2014.

1. lufcrazy

lufcrazy requiescat in pace Full Member

Sep 15, 2009
    Who wins this shootout?

Tyson by my money is quicker and hits harder plus he has the bob and weave style to get beyond Listons jab and crash hooks into Liston.

Liston has the fundamentals and techniques needed to push Tyson back against the ropes and unload his own shots.

Both men are deadly accurate punchers, both have received criticism in that they are viewed as bullys who lost when someone stood up to them.

Well about when they stand up to each other?

Richard M Murrieta likes this.
  2. I Know Everythi

I Know Everythi Well-Known Member Full Member

Feb 12, 2014
    Liston KO 11-12

his jab will be enough to keep Tyson off him and he is a great inside fighter for when Mike does come inside. Tyson has a solid chance but I would favor Liston.

Floyd Patterson was fast too, and had a Cus D'amato/Tyson style but he did absolutely nothing to Liston. Tyson is much more dangerous than Patterson, but I still think Liston's style is too much for Tyson to overcome

3. SILVER SKULL 66

SILVER SKULL 66 Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 6, 2013
    Prime Liston against Prime 88 Tyson i would slightly favor Tyson...

Liston against post prison Tyson, i would favor Liston to Knock him out...

Either way none of these fights are going to the cards....

4. markclitheroe

markclitheroe TyrellBiggsnumberonefan. Full Member

Sep 14, 2013
    Both peak.. tough one...Liston can take a shot and would back Tyson up....Tyson couldnt fight going back...so once Liston backs him up he's in big trouble.
    Most of Tysons victims at his peak hadnt got the jab power to keep him at bay...Liston may have this...Sonny certainly wouldnt be intimidated.Close up though Tyson dangerous.
    My guy feeling Liston stopage 7-9 rounds...but pure guesswork. Two deadly assasins at their peak.

swagdelfadeel and mcvey like this.
  5. JoeLaTurkey

JoeLaTurkey Active Member Full Member

May 20, 2010
    Tyson was absolutely in awe of Liston, obsessed with him. You have to wonder what his mental state would be like coming into the fight

6. lufcrazy

Sep 15, 2009
    I think Tyson has a chance a early on if he can get get to Liston before any pattern begins to ensue.

If Tyson is able to close the gap his shots could be too quick for Liston to deal with.

If the jab gets set then I think Liston beats him up.

Going with my gut, I'm gonna say Liston takes it.

swagdelfadeel likes this.
  7. TheOldTimer

TheOldTimer Active Member Full Member

Sep 6, 2013
    You forget that Douglas backed Tyson up hammered Tyson for 8 rounds, landing 6 and 7 punch combinations, before Tyson coming off the ropes almost rescued his title on the brink of defeat with that vicious right uppercut. That punch might have gone down like Marcianos 13th round KO of Walcott. Tyson can fight backing up, See the Tillis fight, Berbick backed him up in the first round, its just we didn't see it that often becuase Tyson is strong and it takes a special kind of fighter to back Tyson up.

8. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    I think a prime Tyson overwhelms the mummy with fast footwork, angles and punching power. I don't think he freezes like Patterson and he brings a hell of a lot more pop. If Clay could inflict enough damage for Liston to stop on his stool, Tyson should sure as hell do it.

An off prime Tyson would have trouble and get into the groove of following him straight in and retreating straight out. That would be a recipe for disaster.

Sangria likes this.
  9. BUDW

BUDW Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 23, 2007
    Liston would back Tyson up,that becomes a very bad day for Tyson, Liston ko 10 rds maybe less,Tyson has a punchers chance of course but my money is on Liston

swagdelfadeel and Reinhardt like this.
  10. Entaowed

Entaowed Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Dec 16, 2012
    Seamus it is not more fair to consider old under-trained & drinking Liston vs. Ali than myriad post peak-& should have been peak in Tokyo but dissipated Tyson.

Though Tyson's speed & angles could make the difference, I tend to favor Liston & Foremean given power, size, enough skills, & lack of being intimidated. KO or TKO late.

11. Azzer85

Azzer85 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 13, 2010
    Tysons own comments

'The one man id be afraid of fighting was Sonny Liston'

take that as you may.

Tyson obviously saw something to be afraid of.

12. lufcrazy

Sep 15, 2009
    If Tyson does win it's early .

I think the fight is more about what Liston can do than anything else though.

13. Sardu

Sardu RIP Mr. Bun: 2007-2012 Full Member

Jan 22, 2008
    Liston was a flatfooted fighter who came forward so conventional wisdom would dictate that this style would be perfect for Tyson to exploit.

The jab of Liston however, is the great equalizer. It is a punishing, pulverizing weapon.

The Tyson of 87-88' had great head movement and could slip Liston's jab although Liston had an extensive arsenal which included a decapitating uppercut.

Hand-speed coupled with power would be Tyson's advantage here. A prime Tyson could lick Liston. That being the one from a small window - 87' to 89' version. If Tyson comes strait in and doesn't move his head and upper-body he's toast. This was the sloppier Tyson of later on. Either way a sensational match-up not to be missed.

14. Stevie G

Stevie G Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 17, 2009

This is why I pick Liston too

15. ForemanJab

ForemanJab Deus Vult Full Member

May 8, 2014
    Interesting clash of styles. I think Liston could beat Tyson but I am not confident with that pick. I think Tyson's speed and power could give Liston problems.