Liston v Tyson

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by lufcrazy, Jun 29, 2014.

1. swagdelfadeel

swagdelfadeel Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 30, 2014
    I agree Tyson tended to slow down a lot in the later rounds but calling him "extremely inactive" is stretching it. I agree that Liston wins though but not before tasting some serious leather.

Gazelle Punch likes this.
  2. Gazelle Punch

Gazelle Punch Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 15, 2018
    Guess it depends what era we r referring to as far as active goes. Bigger they get less punches they throw (usually). Think Tyson only threw like 35 punches a round or something so depending what they throw today maybe not so accurate to say extremely. But when he threw them. Nasty fast and accurate.

swagdelfadeel likes this.
  3. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Bye for now! banned Full Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Jeez, I honestly never had much trouble with this one I think Tyson turns Liston Into mince.

4. RulesMakeItInteresting

RulesMakeItInteresting Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 23, 2019
    Liston's lack of being intimidated would definitely start the fight off in his favor.

I think Sonny would get rocked several times, but Mike would have been getting pole axed by the jab and...Liston was just too strong and bullying for Mike.

Liston TKO in 6

swagdelfadeel and Reinhardt like this.
  5. White Bomber

White Bomber Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 31, 2021
    I think Marciano throws more than anyone, he was incredibly conditioned.
    He threw 90-100 punches per roubd, which is incredible for HW.
    By comparison, I think Tyson threw 30 or 40.
    Anyway, Liston is amazing and in my top 5 HWs, it would be an awesome match between him and Tyson, regardless who wins.
    But I never knew Liston threw many punches per round, I was expecting quite the opposite, considering that he wasn't the hardest trainer and that he was way older than stated.

louis54 and swagdelfadeel like this.
  6. swagdelfadeel

swagdelfadeel Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Watch his bouts with Machen, and Whitehurst. His workrate was insane, and what's more is he kept up throughout the fight without even remotely tiring. Against Machen he threw more punches in the last round than he did in the first! A very well-conditioned athlete.

7. djanders

djanders Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 21, 2009
    And here I am again beating my drum about styles: IMHO, Muhammad Ali would have had more trouble with Tyson than Liston. I'm picking Liston by stoppage, middle to middle/late rounds.

8. MarkusFlorez99

MarkusFlorez99 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 13, 2021
    Tyson would overwhelm him but he'd get manhandled in the clinches

moneytheman12 likes this.
  9. RulesMakeItInteresting

RulesMakeItInteresting Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 23, 2019
    I keep seeing Liston's long, step in jab frustrating the hell out of Mike's rushes. And if Mike tries throwing that wide open right hand...look what happened when he tried that against Holy I, the round right before the stoppage. Holy knocked him across the ring, Liston would paralyze him. Just my opinion.

Stiches Yarn and swagdelfadeel like this.
  10. moneytheman12

moneytheman12 Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Feb 4, 2021
    easy win for mike easy to see on vid mike was way to good at counters for the slow motion puncher son

11. moneytheman12

Feb 4, 2021
    flawed quote style of fighting is not the only thing that makes fights and son had nothing mike never seen mike would win son was to slow and easy to hit

12. cross_trainer

cross_trainer Liston was good, but no "Tire Iron" Jones Full Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Why wouldn't Liston be intimidated? Tyson is a wrecking ball, and had 30 pounds on somebody like Patterson. Not to mention greater durability, much more power, and at least comparable skill.

Some accounts -- dunno how accurate they are -- had it that Ali's acting like a crazy person unnerved Liston. Tyson could definitely dial up the crazy as well when he needed to.

moneytheman12 likes this.
  13. Philly161

Philly161 "Fundamentals are the crutch of the talentless" banned Full Member

Oct 25, 2020
    Sonny wasn't easy to hit at his best.

I dont wanna open up the whole different era debate but, assuming fighters from the 80s weren't generally superior to fighters from the late 50s early 60s, I really disagree that Tyson wins.

Not only were Patterson and Tyson taught by the same father figure, but liston was a mentor to a young george foreman, who also annihilated come forward fighters and struggled against backfoot boxers

I would pick Tyson to beat lots of guys I think beat liston. I'd pick Tyson to do better in a super 8 tournament with many hw champs. but on their best night I think liston wins

14. moneytheman12

Feb 4, 2021
    you need to watch more of son then he was always easy to hit and slow real slow and would get hit more then he would hit mike it's easy to see he was to slow

cause saying his defense was good is a lie he never had close to the defense of joe or ali which was the 2 best defenders of the 70s

Last edited: Aug 23, 2021
  15. moneytheman12

Feb 4, 2021
    right but I don't think son would be intimidated what is this thing of people saying that like why cant we focus on the style or skills which is the most important