Liston vs Marciano?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Brixton Bomber, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Brixton Bomber

Brixton Bomber Obsessed with Boxing banned Full Member

Sep 21, 2013
    Both on their best day, who wins and why?

2. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Liston likley wins due to styles, but Marciano is the greater heavyweight.

3. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Think this has recently been covered if you want to trawl back.

4. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    For some reason I give Marciano a good chance of grinding out a win, dipping under enough jabs, closing the gap, and knocking Sonny out.

I dunno, maybe I haven't watched enough Liston lately.

5. choklab

choklab cocoon of horror Full Member

Dec 31, 2009
    Been done to death.

In brief Liston is a hard fight for Marciano and marciano is also a hard fight for Liston. Marciano is not Joe Frazier and sonny liston is not George Foreman.

I accept Liston deserves to be favourite but my cash goes on Rocky.
    Rocky is more proven at world level, can neutralise the jab, came through life and death at championship level and a strong 15 round fighter with two handed power. HE was better inside and stands more chance the longer this goes.

Liston would have his moments but would get tangled up and frustrated with the workrate and hit back from angles he would not expect. Just my opinion.

6. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    I dont think Marciano was very good at neutralising jabs, as his fight against a washed up Louis proved.
    Liston was a good inside fighter when he was younger and had better reflexes.
    Marciano would have more chance if he could prolong the fight , but my money says he would be a sorry mess after the halfway stage.

7. choklab

Dec 31, 2009
    I have studied the Louis v Marciano fight and Louis's jab worked for him for a total of two of 8 rounds when Rocky decided to alow Louis to expend himself whilst looking to counter with single pitching from outside. Previous to that Rocky barged and bundled Louis around, mauling inside and he went right back to doing that as soon as Charlie Goldman told him to after round 5. The "step off jab" Louis was forced to use over expended him. Joe's usual "step in jab" was ineffective because it brought him too close. Louis had no room and he could not match Rocky for pace.

Liston had a great "step in jab" at long range but not against shorter opponents. Albert Westphal was flattened by Liston but not after Liston missed two thirds of his jabs against him. Brave Albert was not even world class. I never saw Liston use a "step off jab" against anyone. Sonny was always hunting with it.

8. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    You should't use statistics choklab, you don't understand what you are saying.

33% connect rate for jab isn't even bad. What you've proven is that Liston can land his jab at an average rate against this type of opponent.

9. SuzieQ49

SuzieQ49 Officer Full Member

Sep 14, 2005
    Liston wins by decision

10. RockyJim

RockyJim Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 26, 2005
    Marciano "out-guts" Liston in this fight...Rocky with his"kill or be killed" attitude...high work rate...stamina...etc. could again make Sonny quit on his stool...

11. choklab

Dec 31, 2009
    33% isn't bad if two fighters share the same level of talent.

12. he grant

he grant Historian/Film Maker Full Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Liston stops him in about three rounds.

13. choklab

Dec 31, 2009
    Unlikely.

14. HOUDINI

HOUDINI Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 18, 2012
    Marciano was deceptively hard to hit. Everyone thought they could hit Rocky at will...Walcott, Moore....in the ring it never happened. Low crouch, head movement, awkward style made him not an easy target.

15. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Marciano was not as easy to hit as he appeared. However he DID get hit. His style almost dictated it. And both Walcott and Moore put him on his ass.

That said, this is an all time great match-up. I go back and forth on the winner. All I know for sure is that neither leaves ring unscathed. Today, I will take Liston by decision. Tomorrow, who knows?