Little Bit Of Hypocrisy?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by HolDat, Nov 25, 2020.

1. HolDat

HolDat Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 25, 2020
    As fans, we typically talk about losses not being a problem. This is mainly considered a "casual's" mindset.

BUT.... As soon as a fighter loses just 1 time, people predict them losing almost every hypothetical matchup. Lomachenko is a recent example of this.

NAME a few boxers/fights (and there post fight reactions) that you considered to be unfair in terms of their boxing ability amd legacy.

sasto, Tankatron, CST80 and 3 others like this.
  2. Jackman65

Jackman65 FJB Full Member

Aug 31, 2019
    It’s human nature. Guys lose one time and everyone jumps off the bandwagon. It’s because fighters rarely fight top opponents these days. They carefully cherry pick opponents more than ever and pad their records. Especially undefeated fighters.

When top guys fight top opponents and lose, people are quickly to throw dirt on their grave. Even if it’s a closely disputed decision loss, people are quick to call these fighters leftovers or say the other fighter is the daddy or whatever ghetto-speak insults are popular at the time. I wish boxing was more like MMA where very few guys are undefeated and fighters are forced to fight top guys. Crawford and Spence would have already fought three times and Wilder would not have been allowed to fight 40 guys before facing a true challenger. Tank Davis wouldn’t be allowed to fight smaller and older washed up guys exclusively and people would respect fighters who take on top challengers and lose.

It’s not going to happen. The blueprint that Floyd laid down will continue. Some fighters will talk trash and call out top opponents, even bigger ones in higher weight classes, but when it comes time to fight, they will go with the sure thing, easy win. Their fans are too dumb to knew the difference between a real opponent and a setup. This is why boxing will never retain the glory it once enjoyed. I miss those days even though cherry picking has always been part of the sport.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
    sasto, roughdiamond, Surrix and 6 others like this.
  3. HolDat

Sep 25, 2020
    Great post. I was a fan of other sports earlier in life (basketball,football, etc.), so I guess I'm not so fickle.

Jackman65, sasto and N17 like this.
  4. testez

testez Member Full Member

Jul 16, 2008
    I think the opposite. Protecting and valuing the zero is more of a casual theme. Once you lose it you are a bum.

Jackman65, N17 and HolDat like this.
  5. bandeedo

bandeedo VIP Member Full Member

Feb 19, 2007
    i think mikey garcia gets that treatment from those that dont know better. even by those that do. guy is still p4p talent and 1 fight that most dont even understand and he gets dismissed.

6. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007
    The problem is this. Other sports have a schedule where their favorite team always faces top competition. In boxing that seldom happens which is why the losses count more.

In the MMA they all have losses because they face the best.

7. MaxwellOnTheRoad

MaxwellOnTheRoad New Member Full Member

Mar 18, 2020
    This happens a lot. I remember people saying AJ was done after the Ruiz loss. I still see people questioning AJ's chin even after he took everything Ruiz had for him in the rematch, not to mention every elite-level shot he has taken before like Povetkin's, Whyte's and even Wlad's.

Also, I don't think Dillian Whyte's career is over like some people I've read. If he loses by KO against Povetkin again then yeah, he's probably out as a Top 5 elite HW boxer but until that happens I still think he has a chance to make a comeback.

Jackman65, sasto, RB1702 and 3 others like this.
  8. tealt

tealt Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 24, 2017
    Was it like this before Mayweather?

sasto, C.J. and N17 like this.
  9. HolDat

Sep 25, 2020
    I meant casuals think the opposite. Thanks.

10. HolDat

Sep 25, 2020
    Exactly. I guess I learned not to be so fickle because there'd be another game ahead.

11. HolDat

Sep 25, 2020
    Garcia seems to be cashing out now like Thurman.

12. bandeedo

Feb 19, 2007
    i dont believe so. i think theres still big money fights for him out there. pac, crawford, pretty much any ww out there that can sell tickets. spence is the only one who can beat mikey the way he did. no other fighter has the speed, length and power to do what spence can do. and even if they rematched, i think mikey would do much better, it would be tighter, but i think mikey gets stopped. mikey is a live dog vs anyone at ww and favored over 90% of them.

13. HolDat

Sep 25, 2020
    Mikey's not beating the top WWs my guy. He went up to make more money in the first place (instead of facing Loma). You can tell when a fighter is more concerned about money than their legacy. I'm not sure why folks are adverse to this. It happens in every sport.

14. HellSpawn86

HellSpawn86 Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 6, 2007
    True to an extent, but some guys are clearly shot and no longer have a chin, but get recycled for top fights ala Faber, Holms, Cerrone, Petis. Some of these fighters should have retired, but keep going because of the money. The UFC keeps them around because their talent pools aren't as deep as boxing. The UFC has something like 1000 active fighters where as boxing has something like 30,000 active fighters around the world. It's pretty hard to compare.

However, yes I'd like to see top boxers face each other more often and I do think boxing fans are too fickle.

Mendoza, sasto and KO KIDD like this.
  15. bandeedo

Feb 19, 2007
    i think youre wrong. and i think we will get a chance to see how wrong you are. i think mikey becomes 5 division champ before he retires. but to be clear, ive never said he beats ALL ww's, but he does beat a lot of the ones people think would beat him.
    and he went up because loma turned down the fight, said he had a hurt shoulder. he would have beat the snot out of loma, just like i always said he would.