LIVE THREAD RBR: Lawrence Okolie vs Krzysztof Glowacki, plus full undercard

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Chalky, Mar 20, 2021.

1. Skyver

Skyver Well-Known Member Full Member

Apr 29, 2015
    Dwyer is off his rocker he's said wilder is a 1st ballot hall of famer multiple times.absolutely ridiculous.

Tankatron, Accurate and Wizbit1013 like this.
  2. Mitch87

Mitch87 Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 29, 2018
    Dreadful.

Dwyer also backed Yildrim and Fielding against Canelo.

Usercom likes this.
  3. BiggieL

BiggieL Active Member Full Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Eddie should not be allowed contractually to have two or more girls’ fights on one card

velagod, Accurate and Wizbit1013 like this.
  4. CutThroatFade

CutThroatFade Rangers FC Full Member

May 25, 2015
    Sometimes as a fan in any sport you just have to eat humble pie. I predicted Chamberlain and then Askin would both KO Okolie and it never happened. Didn't think Okolie would win a world title without resorting to his previous hugging tactics.

He's a much better fighter than I thought he'd ever be under Shane and while it's all down to that crazy range he has, so what, a boxer has to make the most of his attributes.

He still has flaws and lunges a few times still which leaves him off balance but the guy is a problem in the division. I want to see him box someone next with serious power to test my theory about his chin. Someone like Dorticos. Shame Gassiev has moved up.

Mavin53, Scissors, Tankatron and 3 others like this.
  5. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 18, 2009
    If Okolie can take a punch then we might have another potential star. Barely got hit last night and carried out his gameplan perfectly.

Usercom, Scissors, Tankatron and 3 others like this.
  6. Fibbo

Fibbo Member Full Member

Mar 18, 2021
    Eddie Hearn already has Okolie on his Box Office schedule chin or no chin.

Okolie has taking the Box Office slot previously held and vacated by Kell Brook.

Gatekeeper likes this.
  7. CutThroatFade

May 25, 2015
    Okolie impressed but I think any talk of being a PPV attraction is still premature. There's not much about him that screams PPV attraction to me. He has none of the visual star quality that Joshua has. Add to that the fact that Okolie is a bit corny and awkward. I mean look at that music video he released recently. That didn't receive a great reception on the social media music blogs.

I can't see him headlining a PPV anytime soon but the best way to build him is to have him chief support in a world title fight on the Fury v Joshua undercard if it happens. If Okolie was to deliver a highlight reel KO on that stage against a world level challenger then that could be the springboard.

8. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 18, 2009
    If he fights Briedis in a monumental unification bout (you can have that one Eddie) they ain't putting that on Saturday Fight Night and I can't see it being a PPV undercard fight either.
    With an undercard featuring some established 'stars' like Conor Benn and Pricey plus talk of this being Lawrence's next step towards greatness, some fake hate, a press conference shoving match then there'll be mugs reaching for their wallets.

Edit: Dwyer could show up at the press conference and announce he's part of Briedis' entourage to make the fight personal.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2021
  9. Twentyman

Twentyman You dog nonce! banned Full Member

Apr 20, 2016
    I'm on board the Okolie train fully now. The lad has shown incredible determination to improve and iron out the aspects of his game that was causing him to be an eyesore. To think that Whyte was lording over him for daring to suggest he'd want a fight in future...Well he's a world champion now, something Dillian hasn't even fought for. I personally think a 15 stone plus Okolie absolutely bingo's him.

10. CutThroatFade

May 25, 2015
    Yeah tbf Briedis fight would be a PPV. I can't see that happening though, I thought all the talk was about MB moving back up to HW.

Gatekeeper likes this.
  11. Fibbo

Fibbo Member Full Member

Mar 18, 2021
    Dillian Whyte, Derek Chisora, Tony Bellew all mediocre boxers with the first two nowhere near a World Title yet all headlined Sky Box Office Cards.

Eddie sticks any heavyweight fight on Sky Box Office so a World Cruiserweight Champion is a cert, particularly as he attempts to unify the division then moves up to challenge in the Heavyweight Division.

There is no attractive traits in Whyte, Chisora or Bellew. Eddie sold them well to the public and he will do the same with Okolie.

12. Tankatron

Tankatron Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 1, 2014
    Agreed, I would much rather see him fight another top 10er before taking on Breidis even though I think he could be getting Breidis at the right time; Briedis likely past prime but still the divisions number 1 and would get huge credit if he managed to pull off the win and no shame if he didn't.

That whipping right hand he throws is almost like the back hand equivalent of the jab from the waist-hard to see coming and hard to defend against. Dorticis would definitely go at Okolie but, he's been in so many brutal battles that I think Okolie could detonate something on his chin and get him in trouble after the halfway point. The Breidis and Dorticis of a few years ago would be far too much for him but now? I think Okolie has a real shot and his level of improvement is mightily impressive.

I don't think Makabu is big enough or durable enough to have more than a punchers chance.

13. Donald Donaldson

Donald Donaldson Member Full Member

Oct 1, 2020
    If we criticize a fighter when their performances deserve it (e.g. Chamberlain and Askins fights) we need to also praise them and give credit where it's due.

Okolie was brilliant last night. Possible the best performance from that crop of Olympians turning pro?

I've never seen him use his jab so well before, it was accurate from the start and obviously heavy enough, he was disciplined, picked his shots superbly and didn't really put a foot wrong. He used his height and size so well, was always more or less out of Glowacki's range with deceptively quick feet. Glowacki is on the slide for sure but Okolie beat him without getting out of second gear! That deserves credit. I picked him to win, and wasn't surprised he did, but I was very surprised with how easily he won, and the quality of his boxing.

A lot of credit has to go to Shane too of course.

I think he would stop Makabu. I would give him a solid 50% chance against Breidis. His power is obviously legit world class. You don't get the KO record he has across levels (British, European and World) without having genuine power. On the basis of his natural size, reach, and power he has a 50% chance going into a Breidis fight. The fight would be a Sky PPV too, so Breidis would effectively have to KO him to win also.

For what it's worth at heavyweight he would definitely knock Dillian out, I have said that before too...

14. Twentyman

Twentyman You dog nonce! banned Full Member

Apr 20, 2016
    Definitely does a job on Makabu. Another southpaw who he can keep on the end of his jab. With his height and stature, that chin of his seems a fair old distance away for a left hander without leaving themselves massively vulnerable.

Gatekeeper and Usercom like this.