Loma and p4p misunderstanding

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Glass City Cobra, Oct 23, 2020.

1. Glass City Cobra

Glass City Cobra H2H Burger King Full Member

Jan 6, 2017
    Both LLomachenko and his fans have decided that Lopez was "too big". LLoma in particular complained about how hard it was to get inside.

Here's the thing tho, LLoma was only 1 inch shorter and his reach disadvantage was only 3 inches. If You are a world class masterful boxer, those do not sound like insurmountable odds to me. And at the weigh in they both had the exact same weight, so where is this so called "enormous" size advantage for Lopez?

Not only that, but Lopez wasn't fighting with a bullying/physical type of style or imposing his size. He fought primarily at mid range throwing solid and textbook jabs to the head and body. In fact it was actually somewhat uncharacteristic of Lopez how methodical his approach was. Less of a slugger and more of a boxer puncher.

I think people really need to stop crying and realize just what p4p means. Its one thing to ask a guy to jump up 2 divisions and face an opponent who has an enormous height/reach and weight advantage. Lopez, as I mentioned, was barely an inch taller (they can see eye to eye in multiple stare down photos) and had a slight reach advantage. They were in the same weigh class. A p4p master boxer shouldn't be whining about such miniscule numbers. And the fans are pretty hypocritical having no problem with an old tiny 5'4 Rigondoux moving up from bantamweight to face LLomachenko and being practically helpless. Again if you look at photos and during the fight LLoma looks clearly much bigger and basically bullied and dominated Rigo but there was no sympathy since Rigo was supposed to find a way to win since he was one of the top pound for pound boxers.

Now that the shoe is one the other foot people want to cry about size. Did Leonard complain about Hearns size? Duran about Barkley? Jones about Ruiz? Pacquiao about Margarito? Stop it. And anytime there were talks of LLomachenko moving up to fight Crawford or other guys at 140 people shot it down immediately like they were terrified. Why? Well now we see I guess. P4P means you have the top notch skills to pull off a win regardless of weight class.

2. Richmondpete

Richmondpete Real fighters do road work Full Member

Oct 22, 2015
    No one mentions the fact that Loma won a gold medal at 132 when they mention the 3 weight classes and say he's too small for 135 either

Staminakills, Pimp C, chacal and 2 others like this.
  3. Pakkuman

Pakkuman I'm not hot. I'm just BIG. banned Full Member

Jun 26, 2019
    This content is protected

Pac: 146
    Horn: 147

Pac: 146.5
    Thurman: 146.5

Pac: 145
    Mayweather: 146

Pac: 144.8
    Vargas: 146.5

Spence: 147
    Porter: 146.5

I'm sure Pac is the same size as Thurman, Horn, Floyd, Spence, Porter, etc..

:meparto:

Are you really unfamiliar w/ the rehydration process?

:lol:

And Pacquiao did complain about Margarito's size. He said he was "lucky to win" couldn't believe he "survived" and said that 150 was way too big.

Bofo24, Serge and George Crowcroft like this.
  4. Glass City Cobra

Jan 6, 2017
    Pacquiao was shorter with shorter reach than all of those opponents and was moving up from like his 7th weight class so those are all terrible examples.

LLomachenko and Lopez was almost the exact same height and he had been fighting at 130 since the amateurs so no, Lopez was not some sort of behemoth with an unfair size advantage. LLomachenko was not some midget moving up multiple divisions to face Lopez so cut it out.

Pacquiao beat Margarito so him mentioning the size difference is less of a "complaint" and more of an observation. This thread isn't about Pacquiao anyway so try to stay on topic? I know that must be difficult for you.

Staminakills, Pimp C and MURK20 like this.
  5. Pakkuman

Pakkuman I'm not hot. I'm just BIG. banned Full Member

Jun 26, 2019
    It's not about Pac, but his example blows away your notion that Lomachenko and Lopez are the same size.

6. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
  7. Glass City Cobra

Jan 6, 2017
    No it didn't. Your examples were stupid. Pacquiao was moving up from his 7th weight class and was shorter in height and reach than all the men you mentioned 2 of whom started out in the weight class Pacquiao fought them at (Horn and Thurman).

Lopez isn't some weight bully cutting down from 147 or something. He doesn't look any bigger than LLoma in photos. Stop crying.

Obviously.

If both fighters have similar height and weigh the same where is the so called size advantage?

Staminakills likes this.
  8. The Akbar One

The Akbar One Obsessed with Boxing banned Full Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Nothing but excuses from arse sore Loma fans. A true pound for pound #1 doesn't need size excuses when losing to a guy who is his size. Donaire held a bigger advantage in size over Rigondeaux, than Lopez held over Loma.

9. George Crowcroft

Mar 3, 2019
    So I take it you think Tommy Hearns is bigger than Mike Tyson then.
    Same weight?

HolDat, Boxingfan2 and Serge like this.
  10. Serge

Serge Ginger Dracula Staff Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Here we have Loma, who has come up from 126 and who turned pro at almost 26 y/o weighing 129 in the ring, looking exactly the same at the weigh in as he does in the ring (and he makes 135 whilst not skipping any meals) because he usually comes in at about 138 as he has been doing for half his fights at 126 and all of his ones above

Lopez after having starved himself all week looking like a sunken-eyed cadaver

''Skinny Fimo right now, but then you get the monster tomorrow''

''By tomorrow I'm gonna look like a different man.. a whole new man''

Teofimo ''No More Tall Fighters Anymore'' Lopez

Interviewer: ''Lomachenko is small for the weight class''

Teofimo: ''Very!''

“He’s on the way out of the sport and 135 is just too big ,” the Honduran-American said.

Lomachenko, 32, started his career in 2013 as a 126-pounder. Lopez, 23, has fought at 135 since he turned pro in 2016.

''I think that he's on his way out. I really do believe that and 135 is just too much of a big weight class for him''

''If you look at the Luke Campbell fight, you can see there is just a lot of wear-and-tear on his body.

“I look at it like this—maybe this whole COVID-19 year helped him out. Maybe he needed it. That way he can probably at least hang in there a little bit with me. It’s going to be a great fight. I just look at the facts. You see a fighter who has gone up in weight class. Sometimes they go up too much where their body isn’t used to it, or the weight class is too big for them.''

“This man has had over 400 fights. I have over 150 fights. I’m 23. I’m going to tell you this, when I get to camp, oh man, my body aches sometimes. If I’m 23 and dealing with stuff at this age, I can only imagine what he must be going through at 32 with over 400 fights.”

''I'm not going to have a 126 pounder come out here and try and take over on me. I'm a big guy''

Timestamped

''No 126 pounder is going to beat my son. It's impossible'' -- Teofimo Lopez Sr.

Loma won gold up at 132 in the Olympics and World Amateur Championships because the featherweight division in amateur boxing was scrapped. You can't win a medal in a weight class that no longer exists. He was undersized at that weight and he wasn't as dominant as he had been at his natural weight.

Lopez weighing an in shape 156

Lopez at worst is a natural 140 and Loma is a blown up 126 who can still make that weight if he wanted to. Lopez would have to cut off a limb to get down to 130, Loma can make 130 with ridiculous ease

11. Glass City Cobra

Jan 6, 2017
    I said reach and height are size advantages. That is factual. I never said Hearns was bigger overall than Tyson.

Lopez wasn't towering over LLomachenko like Hearns nor did he have a weight advantage so I'll ask again where this size advantage came into play? Basically the same height and the exact same weight, where's the unfair advantage?

Did Lopez have a weight advantage, yes or no?

12. Glass City Cobra

Jan 6, 2017
    Lomachenko weighed over 130 in the amateurs.

If Lopez is supposedly cutting so much weight that he was skinny and malnourished then he obviously wasn't at full strength. See how that works?

I don't care if Lopez would need to cut a limb off to get to 130. Both men made weight and weighed the same. They are basically the same height. WHERE. IS. THE. SIZE. ADVANTAGE?

And I'll repeat for the people in the back: if you're supposedly a p4p master boxer and you complain about size moving up a mere 5 lbs you probably aren't a p4p master boxer. You clearly don't understand what the term means. Your skills should be able to overcome miniscule reach advantages.

Staminakills and The Akbar One like this.
  13. The Real Lance

The Real Lance Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 29, 2012
    This ^^

The whole focus of this thread seems to be on height. So of course they are the same size, apparently.:confused: No account for frame whatsoever. If one guy weighs a pound more than another, according to forum fools, he's the BIGGER man. If their height is close, they are the same. For ****'s sake.. these overly simplified definitions are brain numbing! Body frame and structure matter....

Serge and George Crowcroft like this.
  14. Serge

Serge Ginger Dracula Staff Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Loma weighed 129 in the ring for his pro debut.

Amateur boxing is same day weigh ins, not 24 hours before. They don't rehydrate from anything up to 20lbs after the weigh ins in amateur boxing lol

They're called weight divisions for a reason.

And no he wasn't skinny and malnourished. He was rehydrated and big, strong and powerful and obviously to anyone with the gift of sight and a semi-functioning brain much bigger, stronger and more powerful than Loma who is a blown up featherweight fighting in his third division.

But don't take my word for it that Lopez was bigger, just listen to what Lopez and his father had to say about it lol.

Jesus wept this is not rocket science. Lopez is the one who has been saying he's moving up soon because it's hard for him to make 135, Loma has been talking about moving back down because it's not his natural weight class. Lopez is clearly much naturally the bigger man and who hits hard enough to flatten teak-tough fighters who've never been stopped before who weigh 154 in the ring with single right hands, that's 16lbs more than Loma.

kriszhao and Jackman65 like this.
  15. George Crowcroft

Mar 3, 2019
    The idea that Lopez isn't bigger than Lomachenko is laughable.

Height and reach don't define size.

Lopez clearly rehydrated more after the weigh in.

brown-bomber, kriszhao, Bokaj and 3 others like this.