Loma is still too small for 135, the Pedraza fight highlighted this again

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Tyson379, Dec 11, 2018.

1. tinman

tinman VIP Member Full Member

Feb 25, 2015
    Typically guys who move up multiple weight classes with great success are either tall/long or smaller guys with huge power.

Guys like Duran/Pac moved up well and were savage punchers in the lower weights. They weren't tall, but they carried power. Not the same power as the lighter weights, but you were forced to respect their power.

Guys like DLH and FMJ were not bangers, but could still punch a little (particularly DLH), and they had the reach to box and move with guys in higher weight classes.

Loma is a short armed guy without power. That's not a recipe for climbing weight.

Power_tek likes this.
  2. Power_tek

Power_tek Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 22, 2018
    I must of explained myself wrong I wasn’t referring to any fight in particular (especially the one I fell asleep for) I just mean that with all lomas talent his reach is what will limit him.
    And with other fighters styles a reach disadvantage would be less limiting?

CST80 likes this.
  3. Power_tek

Sep 22, 2018
    That’s what I ment cheers man was struggling there haha

4. tinman

Feb 25, 2015
    Barrera and Morales reached their limit at 130. Both hit a wall hard after 130. Marquez hit the wall after 135. Pacquiao hit the wall after 140 or 147 cuz he couldn't KO anybody at 147.

Not everybody is Pac.

5. CST80

CST80 Liminal Space Autochthon Staff Member

Nov 23, 2013
    I wasn't really responding to you in the second half of that post, merely speaking in generalities due to the bizarre overreaction people are having in the aftermath of Loma-Pedraza,

6. bandeedo

bandeedo VIP Member Full Member

Feb 19, 2007
    thats right, and everything i write about loma reflects that analysis, thats why im advising him to move to 130. not once have i implied that loma is not an elite talent, but because i dont pick him to be favorite over everyone under welter, his harem takes it personal. i dont study many match ups, but when i do, i am rarely wrong. not braggin, just outlining my post history and track record. i have studied both mikey and loma, both are in my top 4 favorite current fighters, and i can confidently say that mikey beats loma at 135.

tinman likes this.
  7. tinman

Feb 25, 2015
    If were being honest his effectiveness at 147 and higher took a nosedive. He stopped KO'ing people. And he never fought any top young Welterweights. Even Pac had his limits when it came to size.

8. CST80

Nov 23, 2013
    What was Pac's limits? He beat everyone he faced at WW decisively with the exception of Mayweather and Marquez, both stylistic nightmares for him, it wasn't because of size. Against Horn, he was getting a little long in the tooth.

Power_tek likes this.
  9. Power_tek

Sep 22, 2018
    Fair enough man I need to watch the fight again was enjoying it till I crashed was impressed with Pedraza from what I saw, and thought loma wasn’t using his angles as much as usual, think it was 3/4/5 when I crashed.
    How did the knock down come?

CST80 likes this.
  10. tinman

Feb 25, 2015
    Mikey started at 126 though. And hes only got a 68 inch reach. Hes certainly bigger than Loma but I'd say hes smaller than Linares and around a similar size to Pedraza.

Mikey has filled out his frame nicely as he moved up but hes still not a particularly big LW.

But he still bigger than Loma and more importantly hes the only fighter 135 and under with the size and SKILL to seriously trouble Loma right now.

bandeedo likes this.
  11. Serge

Serge Ginger Dracula Staff Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Another thing a lot of these multiple weight division champions typically do is jack themselves silly with steroids and various other PEDs.

Off the top of my head but I'm sure there's more

Roy
    Clenelo
    Shane
    Toney
    Holyfield (allegedly lol)
    Salido
    Lamont Peterson

12. tinman

Feb 25, 2015
    DLH was old and below 147. Cotto was at 145, still a great win but not at the full WW limit though. He never fought Spence, Thurman or Brook. Young and big Welterweights.

Pacquiaos biggest WW accomplishment is decisioning a blown up JWW who couldn't crack an egg if he was equipped with a hammer.

Pac has the greatest boxing legacy of my lifetime, BUT his career after Cotto was carefully orchestrated. No big deal though he accomplished everything by that time anyways.

13. CST80

Nov 23, 2013
    I wasn't shocked in the least that Pedraza did well, he's an incredibly talented fighter, one of the absolute best from 130-140 skillwise. I've been hyping him for years on here, sadly he fought like an idiot against Gervonta on his way out of the door to 135. As far as the KD's go, Loma rocked him with a hook IIRC, and he went all out and threw a barrage of punches at him, most landing flush, and a one two dropped him hard. He made it back up, then went down again on a body shot.

14. tinman

Feb 25, 2015
    To me Loma Garcia is 50/50. Garcia is slightly bigger. And Loma is the slightly better p4p fighter. So I really don't know who would win.

15. CST80

Nov 23, 2013
    I don't hold him not facing Spence, Thurman etc. against him, neither were all that relevant when May-Pac happened, and there was no real clamor for it, the megafight was all that mattered. What? Bradleyx3, Margarito, Vargas, RIos are chopped liver? They'd be defining wins on Spence's resume if he had any of them.

Power_tek likes this.