Loma put on a clinic on how to block punches

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by tinman, Dec 10, 2018.

1. tinman

tinman VIP Member Full Member

Feb 25, 2015
    By compubox Pedraza actually threw a lot. Including power punches. But he landed very little except for some decent shots in the 10th round. And even his power shots were anything, but. He was in keep away mode the whole time.

The judges got it right though. Loma won basically every round in large part because Loma just ended up blocking everything.

Lomas defense is actually something we dont pay much attention to. It's mostly the angles, footwork, speed, quickness, combos, punch variety.

But he actually is an expert at blocking punches. The only problem is blocking punches is the single least glamorous part of boxing. Nobody gets excited about a blocked punch. And it takes a discerning eye to understand what is effective blocking.

But for large parts of the fight against Pedraza, Lomachenko is simply in range blocking punches. Pedraza was the bigger man with a much longer reach. Loma likes to fight in the pocket. So against a longer man he just simply starts blocking his punches.

FastSmith7, pacas, vast and 3 others like this.
  2. Gil Gonzalez

Gil Gonzalez Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Jun 15, 2012
    I was impressed as well, especially with how he blocked body shots. Still, he’s more of a slip and move type guy. There was some ring rust there, and protecting the shoulder of course, and at the post fight press conference he seemed pretty pissed off about his own performance. His irritation with Seckback was actually kind of funny.

tinman and oldcanvasback like this.
  3. caligula4

caligula4 Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Not meaning to derail the topic, but Fury was doing really great work with blocking against Wilder, too, which went somewhat unnoticed. Definitely a skill, and a very important one that can be hard to spot at the frantic pace of a live fight.

4. Salty Dog

Salty Dog My name is Buck and I'm here to... Full Member

Sep 5, 2008
    al juevo

5. RingKing75

RingKing75 Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Dec 23, 2013
    Absolutely great post! Im glad someone here noticed and appreciated the blocking skills. That was pretty incredible to watch as he was just deflecting/blocking everything with his gloves and elbows. Pedraza found a small opening with that right hook to the body and Loma closed that sht up and started ripping the uppercut to make him think twice about it. You could see Loma was not 100% but still managed to put on a clinic. That was pretty special.

DonnyMo, pacas and tinman like this.
  6. R.B.J1

R.B.J1 New Member Full Member

Jan 20, 2018
    Loma blocked a lot of shots with his face. Both of his eyes were almost closed shut.

SambaKing1993 and Manfred like this.
  7. Dario Argento

Dario Argento The exotic Waitress banned Full Member

Nov 4, 2018
    According to @Caper Loma wasnt blocking anything and it was even on the cards up until the 10th round.

8. Cafe

Cafe Sitzpinkler Full Member

Sep 2, 2011
    Yeah it was a good defensive display, however, in one round I was actually concerned, to the point where I thought the tide of the fight might turn around in Pedraza's favour.

I think it was the round before Loma went ape**** on Pedraza. Pedraza was tagging him at will almost? I'm not sure whether it was from tiredness or becoming impatient but Pedraza tagged him with good 10 hard shots as Loma was coming in. And it wasn't off of setups or combinations, Loma was just coming in and got hit with single counter-shots. That kinda shocked me watching it live.

Also, there's one thing that's always annoyed me about Loma, he seems to be open to the body shot on his left hand side. I see it happen in every fight.

9. Serge

Serge Ginger Dracula Staff Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Yeah he blocked most of Pedraza's shots. Some slipped through, some almost slipped through but were partially blocked, but the vast majority were blocked which is impressive given his aggressive style and that Pedraza is a very talented fighter when he actually elects to use his skills and length as opposed to walking opponents down and fighting dumb like he did against bowling ball head Twink.

Delicious

This content is protected

anthoto1, mirkofilipovic and CST80 like this.
  10. The Ogdoad

The Ogdoad Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Feb 27, 2017
    Funny how all of a sudden Pedraza is very talented, but when Tank beat the **** out of him some of the same people downplayed Pedraza as not being that good. :lol:

Ph33rknot and thesmokingm like this.
  11. bandeedo

bandeedo VIP Member Full Member

Feb 19, 2007
    i dont remember the fight, or rather, never saw it. but if there are people doing what you claim, then that is some weak female type behavior.

12. BoxingABC1

BoxingABC1 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 21, 2016
    it was the same in the Linares fight as well. People saw the quick, flashy combinations of Linares, but didn't seem to notice that a lot landed on gloves and arms.

13. bandeedo

bandeedo VIP Member Full Member

Feb 19, 2007
    same can be said about the 80 punches loma threw at pedraza in the 11th. but has anyone bothered to point that out?

14. BoxingABC1

Sep 21, 2016
    I didn't. i actually picked Pedraza to beat Davis. I still don't understand why Pedraza fought the way he did that night.

15. BoxingABC1

Sep 21, 2016
    I can't speak for what other people's eyes see or don't see can I, only my own. And most of those landed anyway, Pedraza managed to evade quite a few though. But even then, that was just one period of the fight, not over the course of the whole fight.