Loma the best of our generation?

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Blue Manc, May 15, 2018.

1. pow

pow Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 26, 2014
    Floyd can bang, like many boxers he had hand injuries later in his career. Just ask Ricky Hatton.

When Loma has achieved half of what Mayweather has I think it's fair to open discussions but at this stage he has a long way to go to prove it. Consistent as an amateur but might not have enough time left on the clock to prove it as a pro.

Triple G should also not be discarded from the discussion.

Last edited: May 16, 2018
    Scissors likes this.
  2. B.A.S.

B.A.S. Active Member Full Member

Feb 24, 2012
    I disagree, he's only 30 and lives the life. So far he's not wasted anytime in the pros in terms of keep busy fights so I can't see that happening now. He won't need to get to anywhere near 50-0 to secure his legacy.

pow likes this.
  3. Hit The Road Jack

Hit The Road Jack Member banned Full Member

May 9, 2018
    haha that's what they are like. It's embarrassing that Khan is so well known to casuals, the guy hasn't even won a world title fight for about 7 years

I find that they also lie and pretend they know about boxers sometimes.
    I was talking to someone on Monday and he asked what I did at the weekend, I said watched the boxing, and he claimed to like boxing.. and I said have you heard of Lomachenko, he said '' oh yeah I know Lomachenko yeah'' a couple of minutes later it was very clear he had no clue who Lomachenko was haha.

4. BoxingABC1

BoxingABC1 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 21, 2016
    I don’t understand this way of thinking. 1). What is everyone’s obsession with an ‘0’. Put anyone in with Salido in their second pro fight, who is a division above, and have him low blow for a quarter of the fight and I’m sure they’d lose too. And Loma did adjust, that’s why he took over in the fight and had Salido holding for dear life in the 12th. A lot still see it as a draw or a Loma win. 2). Why can’t people give him credit for already fighting above natural weight? Why do you need say “if he goes up again, he’ll get beat”? He hasn’t, so his talent level is completely irrelevant to that point. If he went up and beat Garcia, people would move the goalposts again and say “he’s gotta go to 147 and see Crawford”.

And if you want to rip Lomas resume, what the hell could you do for every other active boxer now?

5. phil rowe

phil rowe Member Full Member

Apr 13, 2018
    1) you say Salido was his second pro fight which is right but he had 400 amateur fights and wbs fights and fough at 2 olympics, most pros only have around 100-200 amateur fights so he had already had more boxing expericne than most pros have by the end of their career before he had even started his, so it would have been disgraceful to start fighting journey men after having 400 amateur fights.
    2) I never discredited his resume or the fact that he has fought at 3 weights, im saying people shouldnt be calling him the best ever after winning only 1 out of 4 belts at 3 divisions, he hasnt faced another world champion in a unification fight, he hasn't cleaned out any divisions yet and he stepped up against another elite fighter on saturday and it showed he isn't the best ever after being dropped and losing rounds. If he keeps fighting other world champions, cleans out the 3 divisions where he has won world titles then you can start putting him up there with the goats

6. BoxingABC1

BoxingABC1 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 21, 2016
    thats all well and good but had he had a 12 round fight with 10 oz gloves on? no he didn't. I think the way he paced himself in that fight showed his inexperience at that level

you said he looks good against smaller guys with padded records, that kind of is discrediting his resume. I dont think hes the best ever either, but the thread was about his generation, which you can argue, yes, he is. you cant blame him for not clearing out divisions or having unifications because no one would fight him. Sugar Ray Robinson has been stopped and lost many rounds, so hes not one of the best ever either right?

7. phil rowe

phil rowe Member Full Member

Apr 13, 2018
    Lomachenko could very well be regarded as tbe when he retires along with ray robinson etc, all i was saying is that in this moment you can't say he is after 12 fights.

Scissors and pow like this.
  8. pow

pow Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 26, 2014
    Well half would be 25-0 with resume to match. Certainly achievable and would take him to 34/5. Floyd was still pretty much untouchable at 37 will Loma slow down or still be at the top? Time will tell.

B.A.S. likes this.