Loma v Linares

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Jurgen, May 13, 2018.

1. Jurgen

Jurgen Pay Per Pudding Advisor banned Full Member

Sep 30, 2016
    Cracking fight on Boxnation and I still wonder why the dumb PPV mugs fork out £20 to watch the Bellew v Career Ending Injuries Haye fight.

Incredible that the fight was level on the cards when it ended so Linares Promoter De La Hoya must have got 3 Terry O'Connors to judge the fight.

I had Loma up by at least 5 rounds.

S.K likes this.
  2. Farmboxer

Farmboxer VIP Member Full Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Oscar owned the judges as always. I had Lomachenko winning the fight on points at the time of the knockout. Teddy Atlas is back, he predicted a 10th round stoppage by Lomachenko as he was correct. Teddy also said he did not know what was wrong with the judges.......................Trella was the one judge that gave El Pollo the 7th round, hell a round that Byrd gave to Golovkin. Rotten judges, including Julie Lederman................

3. dazzpowder

dazzpowder Member Full Member

Dec 8, 2008
    I rate Linares but Loma is really something else, he received some criticism early in his career (seems weird saying that after only 12 fights) for been a bit of a powder puff puncher but he’s proved the critics wrong Linares is as tough as they come.

For me he's the epitome of class. An absolute pleasure to watch, I hope he receives the accolades and financial rewards that Mayweather received, for me twice the fighter he was.

Hit The Road Jack and ryanm8655 like this.
  4. jonny v

jonny v Well-Known Member Full Member

Apr 24, 2010
    I also had a tenner on loma r10@12/1 and was close but no cigar with fury i had r4.

Potwash likes this.
  5. hap

hap Member Full Member

Mar 28, 2015
    For me there's always been a bit of baggage watching the second half of Linares' career. The calibre of competition seemed to flatter him, slightly lesser fighters who couldn't quite bring out the quit in him again.

After last night it's quite clear that I've misjudged him. What an incredible fight. The level of skill on display was insane. Lomachenko went through the gears as usual and when the pace that would break or dishearten most fighters had been reached Linares put his foot down and stayed right there with him. For a few rounds that fight was a thing of beauty.

Makes me wonder just how well Linares might have done with Mikey Garcia.

Howitzer1888, ryanm8655 and moog like this.
  6. tdf1974

tdf1974 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 9, 2013
    you shudda stayed up and watched one of the best fights for years.LIVE

If you had Loma up by 5 i suggest you stick to sleeping pal

Sonny1, ryanm8655 and Potwash like this.
  7. Kapparino

Kapparino EDDIE HEARN PROTECTION UNIT Full Member

Jul 12, 2015
    Had Loma winning every round but the Knockdown round.

8. Hit The Road Jack

Hit The Road Jack Member banned Full Member

May 9, 2018
    Very good fight, two elite skilled operators . Linares' stock should go up after this, he's a top 10 P4Per himself. Lomachenko is just unreal- the best fighter on the planet there is no debate now it's clear, would love to see him fight in the UK at some point.

Hugo98 likes this.
  9. Octolony shore

Octolony shore Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 14, 2016
    It was a beautiful fight to watch, two of the best going at it. Full credit to Linares for giving him a slight test. I had lomachenko well in front when the stoppage came.

10. hitandhope

hitandhope Well-Known Member Full Member

May 2, 2009
    Brilliant fight. One to enjoy again anytime. Didn’t want to see either man lose really. I thought Loma sensed he was really getting to Linares in the sixth and pushed his luck a bit too far.

I hope Linares gets a few more good paydays. Also hope Loma doesn’t climb any further in the weights. Dominate your natural weight like the old classic fighters.

Liverpool82, Hugo98 and jonny v like this.
  11. jonny v

jonny v Well-Known Member Full Member

Apr 24, 2010
    Loma looked tiny in there hitandhope you are totally correct He can't possibly move up again I can't see anyone getting near him underneath lightweight tho. I can only hope that he gets up for lesser challenges and stays around for a while. Linares is top drawer and although his size helped he never worked loma out.

Liverpool82 likes this.
  12. Twentyman

Twentyman You dog nonce! banned Full Member

Apr 20, 2016
    Linares was about a stone heavier on the night but it made absolutely no difference. It’s not like they can walk the lad down, in a split second he is stood directly to the side of them, will bang in a body shot, then in the next split second will be stood behind his opponent. He’s suddenly on the inside throwing multiple shots to the head and body, then steps back out and throws a lovely jab from the outside. The lateral movement, the speed, shot variety, range, distance, feints...you’ve got to just admire the lad.

I was of the opinion he can go no further up in weight...maybe he can push it a bit further.

13. alpo1

alpo1 #TeamShanny Full Member

Dec 10, 2005
    Lomachenko gets hate from a certain group of american fans who can't admit he's better than fmj.

but floyd didn't display this kind of offense against much bigger elite opposition. loma hasn't even outgrown featherweight and he's destroying the top 135 guys.

linares was starting to wither as he was trying to go toe to toe with loma the last couple of rounds, the way loma was landing combos on him pre-knockout was amazing.

zulander likes this.
  14. Jurgen

Jurgen Pay Per Pudding Advisor banned Full Member

Sep 30, 2016
    The other posters appear to have Loma well ahead - enlighten us as to why watching a recording of the fight first thing in the morning with no knowledge of the result is any different from wasting time being up all night?

You do have Sky Q and understand how easy it is to record?

15. bbjc

bbjc Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 25, 2012
    Might be way out of line here. But had them about even. Lomachenko,s a great fighter....skillwise his skill levels fantastic. An absolute joy to watch. But it takes more than skill to win a boxing match against true great fighters. People are overrating him as an overall package because of that high skill level. Think I read a post today saying he was the greatest fighter ever.

His skill level, footwork, combination effortlessness is up there. But mayweather would have beaten him soundly. Linares would not have laid much on mayweather regardless of a stone advantage. What the guys dones phenomenal...hes a great fighter...terrific to watch the best in the sport atm for me. But its the golovkin stuff all over again. The best we,ve ever seen etc. Before canelo made him look almost average. I think Linares although carrying weight/reach advantages definitely got off on him too much to be regarded as much better than Floyd.

He would have brought out the best in Floyd tho....cause he would have breached than defense of his..mayweather would have had to turn more aggresive. I still say may eather was a solid puncher when push came to shove tho....he just didn't need to take the risks often because they all struggled to breach his defense enough.

DON1 likes this.