Lomachenko vs Lopez 2 : The Take Back

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by split_decision, Jun 27, 2021.

1. split_decision

split_decision Electronic information tampers with your soul Full Member

Apr 14, 2010
    Loma is what ?

2. Joeblogh

Joeblogh New Member Full Member

Apr 30, 2020

Loma….TBE……I just spilled my coffee.

3. Wizbit1013

Wizbit1013 The Original 101.3 Full Member

Mar 17, 2018
    Me to

4. Brighton bomber

Brighton bomber Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Apr 4, 2005
    I hope there's a rematch, the first fight was one of the more interesting tactical battles I've seen in a long while.

I was impressed with Lopez's team had figured Loma out in regard to his step to the outside to throw the jab and used that predictable pattern to take away Loma's jab as well as counter the jab with the right hand, all of which made Loma unable to mount his usual offense.

I think Loma did take him a little too lightly, he had no plan B in place so had to figure out a new strategy mid fight which he did by mixing up his jab more and throwing inside the lead hand instead of his usual step to the outside to jab. Once he had established the jab again he was able to then unload with his usual arsenal of shots. But he didn't make the necessary changes quick enough.

Next time Loma will hopefully have more than one strategy going in, it's clear just doing what he normally does won't be enough. I expect him to have been more diligent in his preparation 2nd time around and will pose a far stiffer test.

Will be interesting to see what Lopez brings 2nd time round. He won't have the element of surprise in the rematch, what he did before won't work as well, though he did in the last round make a change himself and began being more aggressive and throwing down the middle more as Loma was now fighting down the middle more than creating his usual angles. So I hope to see a similar level of ring intelligence in the rematch. If he can bring that level again a 2nd time we should have another great fight.

kirk, JOKER, Bokaj and 3 others like this.
  5. lordlosh

lordlosh Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 4, 2014
    The rematch definitely needs to happen, otherwise quack quack big duck from Lopez for second time around.
    He will be haunted by refusing to give Loma rematch. And Loma should be all in for the rematch, even if it mean they give more money to Teo to agree to the fight.
    The second fight will be totally different. Loma will definitely dominates him.

6. Olu G. Rotimi

Olu G. Rotimi Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

May 29, 2007
    I agree. He is an excellent fighter just not quite as great as the Lomasexual’s think.

Wizbit1013 likes this.
  7. roughdiamond

roughdiamond Bronsonville Full Member

Jul 25, 2015
    I think it's a style thing. Lopez did what he needed to do - he controlled centre ring and punched with Loma whenever he initiated. Loma is pressure and volume oriented, not counter oriented. The core of his style is to initiate - turn the angle - reset / regain centre - repeat. It is very Soviet in its application, similar to the older Soviet Boxers such as Arbachakov, Nazarov and many top amateurs from that system. Loma does not punch with the opponent. In fact, he doesn't even actually counter that much compared to other top fighters. He pressures with his feet and head-movement to throw a combo and then start an angle switch then reset, repeat. Loma's offense isn't actually that varied either, just incredibly refined and smooth. A fighter who is classy or ballsy enough (and good enough, obviously) to punch with Loma will land and consequently reduce his output - which is exactly what Lopez did in combination with his physical advantages. Loma's output for the first 6 was abysmal because of this, not because he was 'cruising' or any of that crap. Loma was beaten legitimately through Boxing strategy, and only really came on due to a combination of realizing he was down on the cards + Lopez losing focus in his Boxing.
    Even if Loma tries to change his style in a rematch, he massively struggles in terms of physical attributes. I just don't see it happening. Even against Nakatani he didn't box differently - Nakatani just did not have any sort of ring IQ or style to deal with Loma. The worst thing you can do with Loma is wait for him to initiate without countering.

I don't think Loma will be able to adapt massively - he is too old and is also quite arrogant in the quality of 'his' style. I think repeat is the likely scenario, though I'd rather see Lopez move up and fight at 140 instead.

8. split_decision

split_decision Electronic information tampers with your soul Full Member

Apr 14, 2010
    coffee is bad for you, Loma is the greatest
    This content is protected

9. From.Russia

From.Russia Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 15, 2013
    Excellent analysis. Who are you, who are so wise in the ways of boxing?

10. PIPO23

PIPO23 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

May 18, 2006
    I predicted Loma would run.

To ensure a Teo win the will need to keep his hands up.Nakatani paid the same price for not keeping the hands up to protect the head.Stop the Mayweather shoulder scroll BS he is horrible at it.**** poor imitation of a shoulder scroll.Besides he is not defense first kinda boxer.Keep the hands up and move the head.Kid has no head movement head is stationary at times.

Loma takes the angle to the left TLO cant stand there he has to pivot and spin with him and take that angle away.He needs to fire that right hand to the body more.His left hook and jab were nullified and ineffective.If Loma gets that angle he loves.TLo needs to be first fire in combination.Dont allow Loma to be first.

Loma can’t get that angle he in trouble.He cant take the power and he will punish Loma.Easier said that done but i believe minor adjustments is required.Tlo team better shut it and use the cerabal mind to beat Loma talking won’t do squat.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2021
  11. HolDat

HolDat Active Member Full Member

Sep 25, 2020
    There's only a select few who can change their fighting style past their prime.

roughdiamond and MarkusFlorez99 like this.
  12. MarkusFlorez99

MarkusFlorez99 Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 13, 2021
    It is most definitely a styles thing

roughdiamond and HolDat like this.
  13. Surrix

Surrix Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 16, 2020
    For sure.
    Head beating from Loma did not had hurt Linares enough while 1 liver punch did the job more effectively than everything Loma had landed on him together taken during all fight.
    Almost like Garcia vs Campbell. Ofc for delusional ppl Campbell will be chinny boxer after this liver punch. For sure.

14. Bokaj

Bokaj Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Loma should try and get Haney in his next fight and then face Lopez. Otherwise Lopez should face Haney first. Then a rematch might be in order, depending also on what happens with Garcia and Tank.

I'd like to see a rematch, but it's not a must since the result in the first was uncontroversial.

15. DonnyMo

DonnyMo Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 21, 2011
    Some mental gymnastics in people's logic here.... Not on single acknowledging Loma had one arm in that fight.

Loma had a torn labrum that required surgery the Monday after the fight. I agree with Andre Ward that Loma won 6 rounds and it was a draw, but really have no huge problem if you think Lopez won 7 rounds.

First fight was entertaining but we gotta see a rematch. I think Loma wins 8-9 rounds this time around.

Ivan28 and iii like this.