Losing muscle?

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by anderslundgaard, Nov 11, 2008.

1. anderslundgaard

anderslundgaard Member Full Member

Jan 19, 2007
    I've had a period with no boxing, and only lifting weights. I've put on around 12 pounds of muscle, and I think that's too much if I want to fight again, considering I'm 5'8, around 165 right now.

So basically I'm asking how to lose muscle in a healthy way? Meaning without feeling drained/getting malnourished.

I know that I should stop lifting and do more roadwork, but I'm more thinking about the diet aspect of it.

Anyone been in the same situation as me? - what did you do?

2. Primenal

Primenal Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 10, 2008
    If your actually a SOLID 165 it's gonna be hard for you to lose much. Your going to lose some muscle. By solid...I mean 7-maybe 12% bodyfat.
    I'm 5'6, 165, about 7% body fat. I actually started killing myself at cardio..While still lifting heavy though, and my weight actually has went up! I don't diet though, and eat about 6-8 times daily. I'm personally not trying to lose weight...Maintain, or gain while getting in to better shape. So, maybe it'd be different for you, but if you tear your body apart...Gotta feed it!

3. tri-pod

tri-pod Guest

try eating less calories than you are losing. if you are losing 2000 calories eat 1500 a day for example.

4. Arka

Arka New Member Full Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Maybe you should switch to a diet with more carbohydrates and less muscle building protein .

5. JMonster

JMonster Active Member Full Member

Mar 8, 2005
    stop lifting weights. u will lose the muscle REAL fast. diet aspect. this might sound CRAZY but i was thinking if u eat a lot of junk, then a lot of ur muscle will turn into fat. then u will just have to do a lot of cardio to stay in shape and healthy...

6. viru§™

viru§™ Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 28, 2007
    Muscle does not turn into fat...

7. scurlaruntings

scurlaruntings ESB 2002 Club Full Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Thats very poor and inaccurate advice.Thats a bit like saying water can turn into wine. FAT FEEDS MUSCLE. Muscle atrophies when not used. It does NOT turn into fat. Lifting weights stimulates muscle growth AND weight loss by burning fat.

8. JMonster

JMonster Active Member Full Member

Mar 8, 2005
    ok but sugars and other things in junk food DETERIORATES ur muslce FAST!!!!! that's y u have to eat good and healthy when u want to gain muslce. so if u do the exact opposite it is going to deteriorate ur muslces. also, if u don't eat healthy, ur body is going to use ur new muscles as the primary source of energy.
    don't tell me that's very poor and inaccurate advice. it's the truth!
    DUH!

9. scurlaruntings

Jul 19, 2004
    Previously you said muscle can turn to fat. If i was you id quit while your ahead..

As for junk food deterioating muscle thats more rubbish. Naturally all calories are not the same. But Army recruits eat tons of carbs because they burn sooo many calories. There diet consists of ALOT of junk. Carb loading is prevelant in most high intensity routines. Either way the body does NOT use muscle as a source of energy. It uses Glyogen stores and fats. Eating more carbs replenishes your stores. If the body used muscle as a source of energy the muscle would atrophy which is called catabolisation. In other words the muscle begins to waste because there is nothing to feed it. So stop talking crap and dishing out bad advice.

10. anderslundgaard

Jan 19, 2007
    It sounds like you know what you're talking about, so could you give me any advice?

I'm thinking eating nothing but veggies for a while, the muscle should come right off?
    I just don't know if this is healthy over a longer period?

11. scurlaruntings

Jul 19, 2004
    Do you work out? If not the effect of just eating vegetables will be extremely nominal. Naturally your diet is important but if your not stimulating your metabolism its almost fruitless if your trying to loose weight. As for loosing muscle thats not sensible.

12. El Puma

El Puma between rage and serenity Full Member

Jan 8, 2006
    :thumbsup:thumbsup:happy

13. anderslundgaard

Jan 19, 2007
    I just got back to boxing 4 times a week and running 2-3 days a week.

So what is the sensible thing to do for losing muscle?

14. Thomas619

Thomas619 Im from West Not East Oo Full Member

Nov 18, 2006
    do alot of long distance running and cut down on your diet, that should do it!

15. El Puma

El Puma between rage and serenity Full Member

Jan 8, 2006
    What part of losing muscle is not sensible did you not understand?

****, train for power with OLY lift movements and watch your diet.

Worry about cutting water weight for a comp before the comp and not during training. Training is for skill aquirement and sharpening while getting stronger.