Low blows: Andre Ward vs Kovalev 2

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by HellSpawn86, Jun 23, 2017.

1. HellSpawn86

HellSpawn86 Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 6, 2007
    I watched the replay and thought it was a very good tactical fight! I saw Kovalev employ a very strong accurate jab, but wasn't enough to keep Ward at bay. I saw Ward much more aggressive which left him open to get hit more often, but allowed him to get in more body shots.

Ultimately Kovalev couldn't handle the body shots, complained too much, which is why he got stopped. After seeing the replay I saw that the two body shots that Kovalev complained about were right on the belt line. I believe this influenced why Weeks did not take the last low blow complaint seriously. Kovalev took I believe 4 unanswered shots and was already hunched over and looked to be in serious trouble without intervention.

However I do think it was a sad way for the fight to end on a very clear low blow in the replay. I think these two fighters should take on some other challenges and rematch in the future to clear the last bits of controversy, but I think at this point Ward is the clear mental winner which would not bode well for Kovalev.

I think Ward should stick around in the division and take on the likes of Beterbiev, Jack, and Stevenson.

2. Willie Maeket

Willie Maeket The Mothership Connection Full Member

Jun 22, 2015
    I think Ward should fight Joe Smith Jr or get the **** outta his way before he has to give him a Everlast ticketless flight outta the ring like he did Bernard.
    I like Ward but the future is The Hammers. Andre needs to take his money and go and enjoy his retirement in the Town with his family. I don't want to see one of those Long Island jaw breakers to hurt him like they will Adonis, Kovalev, Gvozdyk, and everyone else.

CST80 likes this.
  3. TheyDontBoxNoMore7

TheyDontBoxNoMore7 Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Nov 2, 2016
    Nothing wrong with this post. We still got crybabies making a narrative that Kov got hit with like 10 low blows. It's pathetic. I personally would've loved if Ward didn't look to weeks when Kov was clearly trying to fake he got hit low. You can't cry wolf on false accords. It screws you over when the wolf does appear. I suggest some of you Kov fans read this story and understand it.

[url]https://www.storyarts.org/library/aesops/stories/boy.html[/url]

4. TheyDontBoxNoMore7

TheyDontBoxNoMore7 Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Nov 2, 2016
    Also go to the 32:00 minute mark for a better angle of the final 3 shots. The last one was the only low blow but it didn't matter. Kov was done

This content is protected

5. You've Got Male

You've Got Male Member Full Member

Jun 19, 2017
    Foul fest by Ward.

Perkin Warbeck likes this.
  6. You've Got Male

You've Got Male Member Full Member

Jun 19, 2017
    BTW, what kind of loser goes to a fight and films the whole fight instead of paying attention and watching the fight? LOL I mean, cool perspective (inside the arena), but why would someone miss out on the experience?

7. Ahurath

Ahurath Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 25, 2012
    Sure it happend but I don't think it wold have matterd. Kova was done and dusted at that point, he wasn't really wanting to go on.

8. navigator

navigator "Billy Graham? He's my man." banned Full Member

Nov 5, 2017
    This is a good post.

On close inspection, though, the finisher wasn't such a clear low blow. The punch caught some hanging fabric during its trajectory, but its impact registered firmly on the beltline area of Kovalev.

People were just looking, as ever, for reasons to avoid holding their hands up and giving Andre Ward credit. Oh, well. Ward retired with greatness on his name. Kovalev is a brilliant fighter who quite arguably won their first bout and emerges with the credit of boxing on even terms with Andre Ward for 57 minutes (something no-one else even came close to doing) - he has every reason to continue his career and seek to add to his own legacy.

Ward-Kovalev protesters would do well to compare Ward's 'low blows' to the two blows which Felix Trinidad was fairly penalised for in rounds 3 and 4 of his bout with Vargas, as well as the one which Trinidad was generally considered to have been unfairly penalised for in the 7th round of the same bout;

Ward's finisher, [url]https://i.img.ie/36w.png[/url]

Trinidad #1 (fairly penalised), [url]https://i.img.ie/36t.png[/url]

Trinidad #2 (fairly penalised), [url]https://i.img.ie/361.png[/url]

Trinidad #3 (considered to be unfairly penalised), [url]https://i.img.ie/367.png[/url]

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
    TigerDariusz likes this.
  9. bailey

bailey VIP Member Full Member

Dec 11, 2009
    I didnt like the low blows. I felt there were several. People often just look at the last few and forget how much early low blows can take out of someone.
    I felt Kovalev was winning and thought Ward used an elbow on Kovalev (think it was round 4). I have felt that these tactics could have been used to try and gain ground.
    I like boxing to remain within the rules.

kk17, skunk, Perkin Warbeck and 5 others like this.
  10. GK BOX

GK BOX Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 23, 2015
    Ward's a dirty fighter, period. He's retired and practically no one cares that he's gone. There's a reason fighters like AJ, GGG, Canelo, Cotto, Pacquiao, Floyd filled up stadiums. They were all CLEAN fighters. CLEAN ENTERTAINING fighters. Ward just had a real messy, dirty style that was difficult to enjoy. The Ward Kov 2 fight was watched with several casuals. All of them said "why is he holding so much, whats with the wrestiling?"
    Bye bye Ward.

3rdegree, skunk and Perkin Warbeck like this.
  11. navigator

navigator "Billy Graham? He's my man." banned Full Member

Nov 5, 2017
    Paulie will tell you, in admiring terms, that Cotto was among the most subtly dirty fighters he ever met.

Floyd? Your view on him is atypically generous, at least as far as the 'we want our boxing squeaky clean, free of dirty tricks and uniformly entertaining' crowd go. He's usually being ragged on for his use of forearms/elbows/sticky punches and a perceived lack of entertainment value.

And how are we rationalizing Hopkins' ability to pull a good crowd, if immaculately clean fighting is what puts butts in seats?

Fighters can be clean to a fault. You've got to be able to get your hands dirty. It's a rough darn sport.

12. Todd498

Todd498 Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Jun 13, 2011
    Agreed. And damn right boxing should remain within the rules! The low blows are what set up the right hand that stunned Kovalev in that last round. If you get cracked in the nuts a few times... you’re going to be very wary of another low blow from then on out. I don’t care who you are. Ward set up shots by going low. Bottom line.

Ward knew he could NOT beat Sergey within the rules. Well... unless he had **** judges in his corner like the 1st fight. And 80% of the population feel Sergey won the first one.

3rdegree, skunk, bailey and 4 others like this.
  13. stiflers mum

stiflers mum Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 9, 2005
    Stopped reading at ''ultimately Kovalev couldn't handle the body shots''.

skunk, Todd498 and mirkofilipovic like this.
  14. stiflers mum

stiflers mum Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 9, 2005
    Go to 3 min 30 sec mark of this video for a reaction to legit bodyshot.

Go to 6min 30 or 40 sec mark of this video.

and I could name many others.

Kovalev's reaction was of a guy hit by nut shots

Todd498 likes this.
  15. ashishwarrior

ashishwarrior VIP Member Full Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Ward went south
    The man does travel towards men's jewels
    Either your eyes or you re balls I aint fighting you outta my state with both intact

Perkin Warbeck likes this.