Luis Resto-Billy Collins

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Thread Stealer, Aug 23, 2007.

1. Thread Stealer

Thread Stealer VIP Member Full Member

Jun 30, 2005
    http://www.secondsout.com/USA/news.cfm?ccs=229&cs=22588

This content is protected

The film "Cornered" documenting a boxer’s despairing journey as a result of his apparent involvement in one of sports’ darkest hours, has been selected from thousands of applicants to be showcased at this year’s 29th Annual IFP Marketplace – scheduled for September 16th through 21st in New York City.

For the first time ever, "Cornered" reveals the real story behind the infamous Resto-Collins scandal – a boxing match turned 30-minute criminal assault. The film uncovers new information about the fight, picks up with the reeling lives of those still affected 24 years later, and ultimately produces an unexpected twist.

Cornered chronicles the life of boxer Luis Resto, who in 1983, had seemingly fulfilled a fighter’s ultimate dream by upsetting the previously undefeated Billy Collins Jr. in front of a capacity crowd at Madison Square Garden. Resto’s post-fight victory celebration proved fleeting however amongst allegations that padding had previously been removed from his gloves – vilifying his reputation and sending the brutally-beaten Collins into a tragic downward spiral.

The film’s director, Eric Drath, first met the Puerto Rican-born Resto seven years ago in a rundown gym in the Bronx. Working as a boxing agent at the time, Drath perceived Resto as taciturn and humble.

“The glaring contradiction I saw between Resto’s quiet, restrained character and the premeditated violence of his convicted crime lay on my mind. For years, I have researched his court case and developed a relationship with him and his family. I hope to uncover the disparity between what really happened and the account presented to the jury that found him guilty. This documentary is a personal account of my pursuit to find justice; to delve into, and understand the issues that haunt this unassuming man,” stated Drath.

Cornered is produced and directed by Eric Drath, edited by EMMY Award winner, Aaron Lubarsky (HBO’s Journey’s with George). Also involved in the making of this film; Jenna Rosher (Academy Award nominated Jesus Camps).

To see a 90-second trailer of the film, go to: www.youtube.com/ericdrath

2. buzzsaw

buzzsaw Member Full Member

May 20, 2007
    Anybody know if Resto was aware that Panama Lewis was tampering with the gloves?

3. Thread Stealer

Jun 30, 2005
    I think he knew.

4. TBooze

TBooze Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 22, 2006
    Yes, hence his life ban. I was no boxing genius, but the little bit sparring I did, tells me it would rather noticeable if your gloves were tampered with like Resto's were.

At least Resto has not come back (to my knowledge); shame the murderer, I mean parasite, that is Lewis lacks even that common decency; but then I guess that is not surprising...

5. Thread Stealer

Jun 30, 2005
    http://www.boxing-monthly.co.uk/content/0003/two.htm

6. TBooze

TBooze Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 22, 2006
    Sorry Resto may come across as butter would not melt in his mouth, but remember we talking about a man who used Panama Lewis who had reputation way before Resto/Collins...

No matter the state of Resto's intelligence he would of known something was not right about his gloves, IMO.

Jim Borzell, who runs the Morris Park gym, described Resto as “a good, hard worker and a humble, honest guy”. He believes Resto should be relicensed by the New York commission as a trainer. In fact, he’s lobbied on the former fighter’s behalf. “The punishment has been meted out,” Borzell said. “Nobody should be punished for life.”

I guess nobody told Billy Collins family about this not being punished for life...

Boxing has had many demons in its time, we do not need Resto back in sport to remind us of how shameful our sport was on June 16th 1983. It already angers me Panama Lewis makes money again, without the body blow of a Resto comeback. If Luis Resto truly loves the sport as much as he makes out, he should know for the good of it, he should leave it well alone.

7. ChrisPontius

ChrisPontius March 8th, 1971 Full Member

Oct 4, 2005
    What Panama Lewis did is simply unforgiveable. If it was my call, he'd be in a prison for the rest of his natural life.

2.5 years is a joke.

8. Thread Stealer

Jun 30, 2005
    Agreed.

9. ChrisPontius

ChrisPontius March 8th, 1971 Full Member

Oct 4, 2005
    By the way, i've never seen that fight.

How one-sided was it? Was it obvious that Collins responded in an unusual way to the punches?

10. David B

David B Nazi Russia lies. This is the only truth. Full Member

Feb 25, 2006
    i believe Panama Lewis was the trainer for Oba Carr in the Trinidad fight.Wasn't he suspended for life?

11. mike4819

mike4819 Member Full Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Suspended rof life? Both these mother****ers (resto/lewis) should be in jail for life.

12. Thread Stealer

Jun 30, 2005
    He wasn't working the corner. He trained Oba at the gym, but I don't think he actually worked the corner.

I remember Czyz mentioning Panama.

For being trained by Panama, I'm glad Carr lost.

13. Thread Stealer

Jun 30, 2005
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDuDIR0_KhQ

Resto's reaction once Collins Sr. touches his glove sure doesn't seem like that of an innocent man.

14. Cobra33

Cobra33 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Resto is a disgrace to boxing and humanity.Panama Lewis shouldn't be allowed near a boxing ring.
    There is noway Resto didn't know there was something wrong with his gloves.

15. la-califa

la-califa Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 12, 2007
    Resto should get his license back as soon as Collins Does... Which is never, Collins never fully regained his eyesight & in the tradgedy of his life, He was killed in a Car accident a few years later...