Macklin/Murray/Barker/Lee

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Brixton Bomber, Apr 12, 2019.

1. Brixton Bomber

Brixton Bomber Obsessed with Boxing banned Full Member

Sep 21, 2013
    My thoughts exactly, Len ;-)

2. Brixton Bomber

Brixton Bomber Obsessed with Boxing banned Full Member

Sep 21, 2013
    Think Murray hated Mack and wanted it, but Mack thought he was better than the rest so only had his sights on the champs.! Barker also shared the same opinion as Murray. Lee just seemed happy to be there.

3. lencoreastside

lencoreastside Obsessed with Boxing banned Full Member

Dec 27, 2010
    That's right twentyman. No version of the other 3 would trouble peak Sergio. I was there for the macklin fight. And Sergio was incredibly good. Macklin was competitive till near the end. I feel Sergio was the best boxer I've ever seen live. Incredibly athletic and slick. Tough and brave. A great champ. Murray Barker and lee would struggle to win a couple of rounds against peak Sergio. :)

4. Journey Man

Journey Man Journeyman always. Full Member

Aug 22, 2009
    Lee / Macklin / Barker / Murray. MM is one of the most overrated boxers of the modern generation. Never won a big fight, just a nearly man. Poor mans Crolla.

Brixton Bomber likes this.
  5. EJC83

EJC83 Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 20, 2019
    Murray faced a shot Sergio, that was his chance, he blew it, sadly.

6. Accurate

Accurate Jump back, wanna kiss myself! Full Member

May 3, 2018
    Lee
    Murray
    Macklin
    Barker

Not much in it between Lee and Murray for me though.

pow likes this.
  7. pow

pow Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 26, 2014
    Has Murray ever been knocked down? Incredibly tough man, despite limited ability made the best of what he had.

8. moog

moog Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 12, 2012
    Barker fought prime Martinez when no one wanted to fight him. Barker was ahead until he started to stay in the pocket and got beat up at close range. It was the inexperience of Barker at the time, his 1st step up from British level, what a leap in 1 fight.

9. tee_birch

tee_birch Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 6, 2014
    I personally see Murray giving all a hard fight with his toughness and fitness, butnlosing to all 3.

Macklin for me was the most talented, often switched trainers and lacked dedication to training though. Lee had awesome power but tried to box far too often.

10. Twentyman

Twentyman You dog nonce! banned Full Member

Apr 20, 2016
    Got put down three times against GGG. Out on his feet against Groves in the 9th but hung on. Incredibly tough man.

Birmingham likes this.
  11. Birmingham

Birmingham Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Jan 13, 2017
    This was how it was, Mack got his shot at a title and thought he was further ahead than the others, bit snobby of him when they all were roughly the same level as contenders

12. Birmingham

Jan 13, 2017
    Yes he was. He could've done with retiring after GGG, he wasn't the same force imo

Brixton Bomber and Twentyman like this.
  13. Twentyman

Twentyman You dog nonce! banned Full Member

Apr 20, 2016
    I think Groves took the last bit away mate. From around round 8 he gave him a vicious beating with some huge right hands.

Birmingham likes this.
  14. Birmingham

Jan 13, 2017
    He was a true honest northern lad, tough as fook mate with it. I think he would've outlasted Mack, a bit like Jamie Moore fight maybe coming from behind for a stoppage even

Twentyman and Brixton Bomber like this.
  15. pow

pow Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 26, 2014
    Remember those body shots now although the first two were more tactical knees and the third when he was putting some lovely combos together and starting to put it on him. Probably prime Golovkin too, who was on a viscous KO streak.

Should have said power here as Murray was actually pretty slick.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
    Twentyman likes this.