Mafia involvement in Boxing

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by la-califa, Oct 31, 2008.

1. OLD FOGEY

OLD FOGEY Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 18, 2006
    Fair enough, but Charles and Marciano were two of the top three heavyweights in the world, and I believe that Layne actually gave a rather strong performance in the first Charles fight before fading late and being knocked out.

2. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    I haven't seen the Mathews /Murphy fight ,have seen the Maxim Murphy one the story of which is left jab ,left jab,result big lumps around the eyes.I will take your word for the probable outcome as you have seen both fights ,though I think Maxim is a little underated ,due to his less than fan friendly style ,and lack of power ,in which Mathews surely had and edge. The chin goes to Maxim ,however .

3. Schmapps

Schmapps Member Full Member

Mar 3, 2008
    Wow, really? I have never heard this before. Anyone else here heard about this before? Not that I'm doubtin you or anything Bummy just curious if anyone else has heard/can elaborate on this.

4. Bummy Davis

Bummy Davis Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 26, 2004

I am not saying it in a negative way. The Dundee's had a lot of conections and that was the way you did business back then and now but the connections are different today

5. Legend X

Legend X Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Mar 18, 2005
    This is true. Chris Dundee was actually given the IBC promotional franchise down in Miami, and the IBC and Madison Sq Garden was controlled by Frank Carbo and the New York mob.
    The Dundees were part of the "monopoly" in boxing that the anti-racketeer campaigners were trying to break.

6. Legend X

Legend X Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Mar 18, 2005
    This article covers Don King and his links to the mob :

[url]http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1140332/index.htm[/url]

7. frankenfrank

frankenfrank Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 18, 2009
    i watched d movie about it and d mere existance of this movie convinces me more that he was 1 of d benefitors than 1 of d victims .

8. Bill1234

Bill1234 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 28, 2007
    My understanding of it is that Carmen himself did not deal with the mob and hated them. But in order for Carmen to get the bigger fights his management needed to pay the mob some money behind the scenes. I don't think any of his fights were fixed.

9. BUDW

BUDW Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 23, 2007
    Something is wrong in todays boxing look at all the BS decisions

10. Danmann

Danmann Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 30, 2011
    Sonny Liston dived due to Nation of Islam pressure, not mob. Ali was on fast track cause he was Olympic Gold medal winner, and immediately a hit with media, not due to any connections Dundee had.