Magnificent Match Monday #2 Rocky Marciano V Jack Dempsey For The GDP of the U S A

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by ThatOne, Mar 27, 2023.

Who wins?

1. Rocky

64.0%
  2. Jack

36.0%
  1. ThatOne

ThatOne Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 13, 2022
  2. swagdelfadeel

swagdelfadeel Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 30, 2014
    When swarmers collide and one fighter is both bigger and faster, that's a lot to overcome imo.

What clinches it in Dempsey's favor for me is, Dempsey would be far away the most powerful and fastest puncher Marciano faced. You can't say the same vice versa.

3. BoB Box

BoB Box Rollin with the punches Full Member

Jun 13, 2022
    Not sure what a DGP is but if its another word for a STD then Rocky definitely wins

4. guilalah

guilalah Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Gross Domestic Product?

swagdelfadeel likes this.
  5. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Dempsey ,faster, better defence,less cut prone.

6. Greg Price99

Greg Price99 Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 17, 2018
    It's GDP - Gross Domestic Product

ThatOne and swagdelfadeel like this.
  7. Greg Price99

Greg Price99 Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Apologies, you'd beaten me to it.

8. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    I've long respected your knowledge and takes on fights, but we've differed on this one for over a decade. With that said, here's my rebuttal.

Everyone was faster than Marciano so I don't see that as a unique advantage which would befuddle Rocky. Dempsey was not consistent on his defense. He could look fantastic one minute, then lose focus in that regard and go for broke on offense. It worked for him a lot of times. However, Marciano was expert at returning fire while under fire. In fact, that might have been his greatest talent.

I just don't see the opponent Jack beat that was anywhere near Marciano's quality. Meanwhile, Marciano did beat some fighters closer in quality to Jack. Jack's got more to prove in that regard.

This would be a close one, obviously entertaining, but I give Rocky the edge.

9. Melankomas

Melankomas Prime Jeffries would demolish a grizzly in 2 Full Member

Dec 18, 2022
    Dempsey comes out fast and TKOs Rocky before he can really get into the fight. Dempsey TKO2.

swagdelfadeel likes this.
  10. KernowWarrior

KernowWarrior Bob Fitzsimmons much bigger brother. Full Member

Jul 12, 2012
    I say prime Dempsey has the beating of Marciano, and would also not be as accommodating of Marcianos dirty fighting as some other of the Rocks opponents were, Mr Dempsey would no doubt introduce Mr Marciano to a few not so pure fight techniques of his own in response.

mcvey and swagdelfadeel like this.
  11. RockyJim

RockyJim Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 26, 2005
    Marciano-Dempsey...Survival of the fittest...who was more "fit" than Rocky Marciano?

Greg Price99 likes this.
  12. Guru88

Guru88 Active Member Full Member

Sep 6, 2020
    Who did Dempsey fight who hit harder than Marciano?

13. guilalah

guilalah Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 30, 2004
    This could go all sorts of ways. Dempsey often fast out of the gate, sometimes also got zapped early, especially with rights. Rocky sometimes warmed gradually to his task, but also at times could drop some early bombs. A sort of probable edge to Dempsey here, yet it could easily play out the other way. Very good chins, very good punching powers; very good recuperation, and quite a bit of ability to keep an opponent hurt and not let them back into the game: I only hunch a bit towards Marciano. Would Dempsey's short shovelings give him an advantage inside, or would Marciano leverage his lower center? Stamina, I have to favor Marciano, yet Brennan II and Gibbon's showed more on Dempsey's part than often gets credited, and I have no doubt that Rocky would find that the guy infront of him also knows a bit about attrittioning an opponents arms and shoulders. Stamina may or may not be a big factor, depending whether the two fighters aggressions subtract or add to the others offensive opportunities.

14. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Those that were faster than Rocky tended to be boxers.Dempsey was an earlier version of Rocky and,imo a better one .It would be a hell of a fight. Thanks for the kind words ,your opinion is reciprocated from my side.

15. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Of the two I think it is Marciano that got zapped early.Walcott 1st rd,Moore 2nd rd.
    It's really a pick em fight ,imo.