Making a Best I Faced for Larry Holmes

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by OP_TheJawBreaker, Jul 7, 2021.

1. RulesMakeItInteresting

RulesMakeItInteresting Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 23, 2019
    Though I'm a fan of Mike myself, I have to ask the question: who did Mike knock out that was better than a young and fresh Jimmy Young? Since we really can't count 38 year old Grandpa Holmes...an over the hill Trevor Berbick and Pinklon Thomas? Were they really any better than Young? Bruno? definite no there. Spinks? An overblown light heavy (something Mike himself proved).

Just playing devil's advocate because I'm curious how others feel about this.

I personally think Mike was both a far better overall puncher (except for the right hand) and massively better finisher than Shavers ever was.

OP_TheJawBreaker likes this.
  2. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Mike was the first guy to ever stop Pinky, Tubbs, Biggs, Holmes and Spinks....Spinks survived Cooney's bombs and twice beat a Holmes who had a decade plus on his career, so I don't think he was a blown up lightheavy any more than tiny Mike was blown up. He also obliterated a champ in Berbick, who in a long career was only stopped one other time, in his 12th fight.

3. Bronze Tiger

Bronze Tiger Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 23, 2018
    Larry Holmes and Mike Tyson have become quite friendly over the years

4. Bronze Tiger

Jun 23, 2018
    There are several interviews where Larry Holmes says the best fighter he ever fought was Ken Norton....and the hardest puncher he ever faced was Earnie Shavers

5. Bronze Tiger

Jun 23, 2018
    Years ago...Larry Holmes actually had his own boxing forum like this one ...he was the moderator...and every once in a while he would pop up and answer questions

Last edited: Jul 7, 2021
  6. Bronze Tiger

Jun 23, 2018
    And the answer to every hypothetical matchup was ..” ___ couldn’t deal with my jab”. Rocky Marciano...Sonny Liston ...Jack Dempsey...Michael Dokes ...Pinklon Thomas etc etc

7. JackSilver

JackSilver Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 24, 2017
    Ask Holmes who would have won between him and Ali both at their best and I guarantee he would say he would have.

8. JackSilver

Jun 24, 2017
    Yeah, I heard him say that he beat Norton with only one arm because he torn his bicep or something. That’s not really giving much credit to Norton by saying that.

Kamikaze likes this.
  9. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Bye for now! banned Full Member

Oct 12, 2020
    So did Kostya Tszyu.

Bronze Tiger likes this.
  10. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Bye for now! banned Full Member

Oct 12, 2020
    l
    lol He said Ali only looked past his best against him and he was still fine.

11. RulesMakeItInteresting

Mar 23, 2019
    He cried after the fight and said nothing could ever be taken away from Ali. It's in the postfight...kind of beautiful, really.

12. JackSilver

Jun 24, 2017
    He was really trying to hurt Ali during the fight though, some of the body shots had Ali screaming in pain according to those at ringside and in the corners. It’s kinda a myth that Holmes was holding back. He was trying his hardest to stop Ali and only eased up in the later rounds when it was clear that Ali wasn’t going down but was just going to carry on standing by the ropes taking the punishment as best as he can.

roughdiamond and Sangria like this.
  13. RulesMakeItInteresting

Mar 23, 2019
    If you watch how Holmes finished guys who were hurt, both before and after that fight, you might change your mind about that. Look at how he mauled the hell out of Shavers in the second fight, how he ceaselessly pummeled Spinks until the stoppage, Frazier...

He didn't do that to Ali. The excess damage occurred due to a terrible ref, and a Dundee who fed too much into Ali's pride to stop it five rounds before it actually did. Holmes was much better at finishing people than that. He could have stopped him many times before that.

14. JackSilver

Jun 24, 2017
    None of those guys could take punishment like Ali did. Holmes was hitting Ali just as hard as he was hitting the others that he stopped especially during the rounds where Ali was still taunting him . There’s a chance I could be wrong but the way I see it anyway

15. Saintpat

Saintpat Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Holyfield pushed Tyson around like a grade-schooler.

Bonecrusher was able to tie Tyson up and Mike couldn’t muscle his way out of it.

And what does Williams getting knocked out have to do with how good Tyson’s jab is by comparison?