MARCH 31, 1980

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by The Morlocks, Mar 31, 2019.

1. The Morlocks

The Morlocks Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 21, 2009
    JUST GOT DONE WITH THE SECOND FIGHT ON ABC ON THIS NIGHT: Weaver KO 15 Tate. A great amount of body punching in the final rds helped that monster left hook. Weaver had a great underused body attack. The 1st fight was a clinic as Eddie Gregory destroyed Marvin Johnson w/ body shots. If not for eddys naturally lazy approach to life he could have had him out in 5. And maybe been great. But alas, no heart in Gregory.
    Next up will be Leonard-Price and Holmes vs the very underrated LeRoy Parker Jones. Great free tv during the week.

ETM, robert ungurean and roughdiamond like this.
  2. Saintpat

Saintpat Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 26, 2009
    I loved those ABC prime-time megacards. I think the one you’re watching took place in three cities — was it Knoxville, Tenn., for Tate, New Orleans maybe for Leonard and Gregory/Johnson and Denver for Holmes?

robert ungurean and The Morlocks like this.
  3. sweetsci

sweetsci Well-Known Member Full Member

Jan 22, 2008
    That was a great card on ABC prime-time free tv - four bouts broadcast from three different cities (Las Vegas, Landover MD, and Knoxville, TN).

Ray Leonard fought Dave Green that night, not Andy Price. The Price bout was six months earlier on another ABC-TV prime-time spectacular broadcast - Holmes-Shavers II, Duran-Gonzalez, Gomez-Mendoza (Duran's first pro victim!), and the Leonard-Price bout.

Those were the days!

robert ungurean and The Morlocks like this.
  4. robert ungurean

robert ungurean Богдан Philadelphia Full Member

Jun 9, 2007
    Great night and great fight indeed. As spectacular as Weavers KO was and it was spectacular it was Gregory's body punching clinic that I remember the most. I think he broke a couple of Johnsons ribs if I'm not mistaken. Just brutal.

The Morlocks likes this.
  5. redrooster

redrooster Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 29, 2005
    the Holmes - Jones fight was terrible

6. Saad54

Saad54 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Dec 10, 2014
    Tate was too tired to stay out of harm's way in the 15th round. One punch made Weaver's career and, at the same time, ruined that of Tate. If Tate survives the 15th, he likely goes on to embarrass a shot Ali and then fight Holmes in a unification fight, possibly.

7. Saad54

Saad54 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Dec 10, 2014

Those really were "the days" ABC and NBC both showed a plethora of prime time cards in that time period. I was not yet a "hardcore" fan but remember watching parts of many of these cards.

sweetsci likes this.