Marciano Contemplated Coming Back For Sonny.

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Rainer, May 13, 2019.

1. choklab

choklab cocoon of horror Full Member

Dec 31, 2009
    Sure, just so long as you know schulberg was no athlete. A guy has to make it to competitive level at boxing to offer any kind of workout in sparring for real fighters. This is what qualifies somebody as a boxing person. A non participating matchmaker or coach actively involved in the sport also counts. But writing about the sport, being friends with fighters, putting your name to the management of a fighter, Having a photo in a ring with someone simply wont do. Boxing people are actively and primarily involved.

2. choklab

choklab cocoon of horror Full Member

Dec 31, 2009
    Of course he cant.

Jackomano likes this.
  3. Bah Lance

Bah Lance Active Member banned Full Member

Apr 29, 2019
    This the first time I seen "The Bear" described in such a way.

choklab likes this.
  4. BitPlayerVesti

BitPlayerVesti Boxing Drunkie Full Member

Oct 28, 2017
    He competed in a wrestling match with Tom Jenkins, and his strength was said to be a match for Jenkins, only losing to Jenkins superior skill.

IIRC the match was made after Sharkey did shockingly well in a contest which was simply supposed to be how long Sharkey could survive.

A lot of the bareknuckle guys were successful in other sports, like Tom King and Jem Mace. Going back way further one of the 1700's bareknuckle guys who fought Jack Slack was also a Cricket player, Tom Faulkner.

5. reznick

reznick In the 7.2% Full Member

Mar 17, 2010
    Nah

6. Jackomano

Jackomano Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 22, 2014
    This. Marciano was way too far gone at 39 years old to beat Liston or for that matter any of the top heavyweights at the time.

Marciano coming back at 39 years would’ve ended much like Joe Louis’ comeback at 36 years old, which resulted in Louis taking complete beatings from Charles and Marciano.

7. The Undefeated Lachbuster

The Undefeated Lachbuster I check this every now and then Full Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I believe Dempsey quoted that Wrestling has the greatest carryover to Boxing

BitPlayerVesti likes this.
  8. Golden_Feather99

Golden_Feather99 Active Member Full Member

Apr 23, 2019
    Difference is, almost all of Marciano's major wins are over fighters who were past their prime. Ali still has wins over two all-time great heavyweights that were younger than him- Frazier (2 yrs) and Foreman (7 yrs). Norton, Quarry, Young, Bonavena, Shavers, and Bugner were also younger than Ali. The reason all of Ali's opponents (in the 60s) were older than him is because he turned pro at the age of 18 and became a champion at the age of 22. Patterson was 30, Terrell was 27, Mildenberger/Chuvalo were 28, Cooper was 29, Jones was 26. Ali's opponents weren't too old (most), it was Ali who was too young. On the other hand, Marciano turned pro at the age of 23 and became a champion at the age of 29. Walcott was 37/38, Louis was 37, Moore was 38, Charles was 32/33 but clearly past his prime.

Marciano's wins over Walcott are comparable to Ali's wins over Liston (in a way). Both were seemingly old at the time but they were also heavyweight champions. Walcott had beaten Charles twice, Liston had beaten Patterson twice.

Marciano also has a top-heavy resume. If we look past his wins over the top 4, he only beat 3 other ranked fighters- LaStarza, Cockell, and Layne. None of them were great contenders. Liston beat Folley, Machen, and Williams. Some of the best heavyweights that weren't champions.

Nah, Layne was definitely better but I don't know about LaStarza. Chuvalo has wins over ranked contenders like Miteff, Cleroux, Jones, and he also knocked out a prime Jerry Quarry. LaStarza fought way too many cans.

9. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    The best version of Marciano gets clowned by Liston. Louis' decrepit old jab bruised up The Rock's face. Liston's would mince, tenderize and fillet it. Too much man.

Golden_Feather99 likes this.
  10. Gazelle Punch

Gazelle Punch Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 15, 2018
    There was a story that they almost sparred in a gym when Sonny was talking trash. Rocky told them get me gloves when Liston said he would’ve knocked him out supposedly Listons handlers rushed him out

choklab likes this.
  11. Sangria

Sangria You bleed like Mylee Full Member

Nov 13, 2010
    I have a question: Why didn't Marciano try to fight Patterson?

12. ETM

ETM I thought I did enough to win. Full Member

Mar 19, 2012
    Remember at that time it still was uncommon for a champion to comeback. Sugar Ray was the 1st one to pull it off and own camp didn't think he was gonna do it. Rocky probably did the right thing unless he could have gotten $1 million or close to it.

Bummy Davis likes this.
  13. ETM

Mar 19, 2012
    That's fair but those were great fighters. They fell off but we're still quality defenses. Walcott for example was fighting great. He was a late bloomer like Hopkins but for a different reason.

choklab likes this.
  14. ETM

Mar 19, 2012
    Sonny Liston almost got his ass kicked for talking that mess to the Rock. Sonny should've thanked those guys that advised him to take off.
    Meanwhile Rocco was standing him the middle of the ring just pacing back and forth waiting to get a piece of Charles Sonny.
    Damdest thing i ever saw.

choklab likes this.
  15. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Cute story.