Marciano fast footwork, closing the distance, and using angles against Lastarza

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Mr.DagoWop, May 2, 2017.

1. Mr.DagoWop

Mr.DagoWop Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Jul 1, 2015
    What's more important is why tf you are responding to some **** I said 4 months ago

2. It's Ovah

It's Ovah I'm your huckleberry, that's just mah game Full Member

Sep 5, 2016
    So what did I lie about?

3. Mr.DagoWop

Jul 1, 2015
    What were you doing October the 19th 1998?

4. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Dempsey had just a target in front of him at that stage he didn't need technique.At the start of the fight he drops Jess with a terrific left hook.He massacres Firpo with short punches that only travel inches.Watch him floor Tunney there are no windup punches there!

cross_trainer likes this.
  5. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    People see what they want to see,that is my point. Lastarza was a static punch bag at the time of his stoppage.no ability to cut off the ring, glide into range or any other hyperbolic nonsense was needed to finish off an exhausted foe who was done!

6. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Its part of the quotes from the ringside experts who were just a few feet away from the action at the time!

7. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    I support my opinions with primary sources! I can recommend it!

8. reznick

reznick In the 7.2% Full Member

Mar 17, 2010
    Show me. Time stamp.

How much do you want to bet that I will find Haye, Sanders, Povetkin, and other modern fighters throwing flurries of power punches bringing their fists way further back from Dempseys?

Dempsey punches from the position of his fists and only goes forward in the segment we discussed.

Not sure why you're reverting to insults.
    Especially when your analytical abilities are hot garbage.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
    dinovelvet likes this.
  9. reznick

Mar 17, 2010
    Lol why is this still being brought up.
    Are you insinuating that they're right? This is embarrassing.

That's the problem with you and some other members here Mcvey.
    You are attached to your books and old sources, in the face of fresher, richer, and much better data.

You might have read more books than me, but I will never ever, ever ever ever, ever ever, make such an erroneous error as to mistake the Braddock KD for a chest punch. Why? I've seen the clip over 100 times, and it is ingrained into my memory. I work with footage, not obscure quotes.
    You will never see a guy like Rummy, Hanza, or other editors of historic boxing footage making this mistake.

The Braddock knockdown of Louis is a watershed moment of Louis' career. One simply does not confuse it for a chest punch.
    Your sources need work.

dinovelvet and Mr.DagoWop like this.
  10. reznick

Mar 17, 2010
    Your source is a ringside quote.
    And you're attached to it against the overwhelming video footage of the punch landing on the head.

Don't turn this into a Trump-esque double down.
    Let it go, admit it's wrong, and move on.

11. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Yeah that fresher, richer ,much better data, that I first viewed in the 60's when I bought my Marciano Collection from Black Hawk Boxing Films.I've read more books than you ,seen more fights, had more fights, and talked to more fighters ,boxing writers and referees than you,but I'm not a kid in my twenties so I'm not young enough to know everything!

Watching the Braddock Louis fight, Louis's back blocks where Braddock's punch lands,but you will make up some nonsense like"Oh you can see by how he falls that it hits him on the chin!"Just as you did about the Sharkey Carnera ko. Now, Mr," I know it all," read this!

"He feinted me and I didn't go for it,and I came right back and he went for it and he come to me but he was way down low and I had to uppercut him and I hit him and he went down.But if he was standing up and I hit him straight it might have been a different story.And the next punch missed his chin by by that much and hit him on the chest you could hear the thunder of the punch all over the joint ." That's is where I misconstrued what Braddock said. An easy mistake considering you cannot see where Braddock's punch lands.

You watch vids and ,if they are boxers you hero worship, you construct fairy-tale scenarios about what is actually happening in these clips,you've been called on it countless times on here by posters saying what you say is not representative of what is actually occurring on the film.

It never appears to occur to you that you might not be viewing the footage with less than objective eyes.
    You've made some videos and punched a bag in a gym,let's all bow down and worship at your feet!

The arrogance of youth" amply demonstrated for all to see.

12. Mr.DagoWop

Jul 1, 2015
    But it still happened. Marciano still closed the distance, used fast footwork and used angles on his punches.

13. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    I said in a post several months ago that I was wrong on where the punch landed and explained how that came about ,I've repeated that on a post just now.

Don't tell me you can see where the punch lands because you can't ,you can accept Louis's word for it that it landed on his chin.If you state that you can see for certain that it lands there from the film you are not just a fan boy creating a scenario ,you are a LIAR!

14. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    He isn't using fast footwork he is merely coming towards an exhausted opponent who is a stationary target,and one who has nothing left.

Bottom line Marciano never had fast footwork!

God All Mighty! You Rockista's are something else!

Pat M, mrkoolkevin and Seamus like this.
  15. dinovelvet

dinovelvet Antifanboi Full Member

Jul 21, 2012
    Wasn't he a stationary target because Rocky had ripped the mid section off him? I love that fight . I recall a Rocky body shot lifting Starza clean off his feet.