Marciano fast footwork, closing the distance, and using angles against Lastarza

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Mr.DagoWop, May 2, 2017.

1. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Yes indeed he was ,Rocky had slowed him up with body punches ,plus a few below the belt ones.

That isn't the point the point is that Lastarza was ready to go no,fast footwork or clever angles were necessary to finish him nor indeed were they employed, just relentless punching,until he could absorb no more without going down.

cross_trainer and mrkoolkevin like this.
  2. dinovelvet

dinovelvet Antifanboi Full Member

Jul 21, 2012
    I haven't read all 29 pages so im not aware of the context of the argument. I would agree with that summary. Straza moved well at first but was broken down round after round by Rocks pressure and heavy body attack.

cross_trainer and mcvey like this.
  3. reznick

reznick In the 7.2% Full Member

Mar 17, 2010
    Okay, keep lying to people about this.
    And using your decades of books and bad quality footage that you have to load into a projector every time you want to view them as supporting evidence for something that is patently and obviously false.

I don’t think it’s going to work for anyone viewing boxing through a 21st century lens.

Didn't you already admit to being wrong about this?

Let me guess, Gifs, and HD footage are the devil!

4. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Hold the front page I don't tell lies!
    I've never made any secret of the fact that at 69 I am not technically proficient with modern technology.I asked you what a GIF was and I've already forgotten your answer!

My point is I first saw the Lastarza fight over 50 years ago,I've since acquired the collection on dvd and watched it on You Tube several times,so I flatter myself I am up to speed with what happens in the fight.
    What would I gain from telling lies about it,what would be my motive? Where is my agenda here?

mrkoolkevin likes this.
  5. Mr.DagoWop

Mr.DagoWop Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Jul 1, 2015
    You don't see the fast step back that Marciano uses to adjust his range when he has Lastarza on the ropes?

You are completely misunderstanding the point of this thread. I posted the clip as an interesting display of boxing. Not to make some crazy extravagant point that Marciano moved like a lightweight or whatever.

You boomers are always coming to the wrong conclusion!

reznick and he grant like this.
  6. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Yeah we don't know what we are looking at,we need youngsters to interpret all the fights for us.
    We have misconstrued ,misunderstood and generally failed to grasp the essentials of pugilism despite practising it, watching it ,reading about it ,writing about it, and talking about it for over half century.Thank God you are here to lead us to the path of correctness!

7. Mr.DagoWop

Mr.DagoWop Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Jul 1, 2015
    I think you may be responding to the wrong poster. I'm just here celebrating a renowned boxer. Not trying to overly persuade you into some sort of ideology that you seem to not think man.

RockyMarciano and reznick like this.
  8. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Fair enough I don't want to antagonize you.I happen to think Rocky Marciano was a great fighter and champion, and a fine man. He fought his contenders and ducked nobody ,I don't think it would ever have occurred to him to do so. Sorry if I came across as combative.

9. BlackCloud

BlackCloud I detest the daily heavyweight threads Full Member

Nov 22, 2012
    Genuine question Rez......how is the boxing turning out?

reznick likes this.
  10. mrkoolkevin

mrkoolkevin Never wrestle with pigs or argue with fools Full Member

Jan 30, 2014
    Perry's legendary workout still makes me smile.

I was about to hop on the elliptical for a leisurely half-hour of cardio but now I think I'll step it up a notch.

11. reznick

reznick In the 7.2% Full Member

Mar 17, 2010
    I stopped a while ago.
    I cherish my mental faculties too much.
    And I realized you can't get around the health issues no matter who you are.

Had so much fun though, training almost full time for almost a year was one of the best experiences I've ever had.
    If we lived in a different time, and I had less to lose, I could definitely see myself going all in.
    Still got my power, and a looming regret that I never got to put it to the test beyond sparring.

12. BlackCloud

BlackCloud I detest the daily heavyweight threads Full Member

Nov 22, 2012
    He still reads these forums you know.
    Regularly logs in under his original username " Houdini "

mrkoolkevin likes this.
  13. mrkoolkevin

mrkoolkevin Never wrestle with pigs or argue with fools Full Member

Jan 30, 2014
    If any of you need a little motivation to get off your couches and work off some of that holiday weight...

cross_trainer, BlackCloud and Pat M like this.
  14. Shrollleftupper

Shrollleftupper Active Member banned Full Member

Mar 21, 2016
    Marciano should have shoulder rolled.

George Crowcroft likes this.
  15. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I don't see anything particularly impressive there.

People need to remember Marciano is an ATG.

mrkoolkevin likes this.