Marciano-I Just Don't Understand It

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by janwalshs, Aug 2, 2010.

1. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    He was more a master of the improvised science.

He couldn't be a technical boxer, due to his reach, so he became a swarmer, and as good a swarmer as he could be.

Just because a fighter has to function as a swarmer, it does not mean that they are unscientific, or that they don't understand what a scientific boxer is doing.

It just means that they have decided that their best option, is to adopt this high intensity style.

Bummy Davis and BitPlayerVesti like this.
  2. mr. magoo

mr. magoo VIP Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    I agree. He had his own set of skills and they worked just fine for him.

George Crowcroft and janitor like this.
  3. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    I would say that Wilder had beaten nobody then, and that his resume is still very thin now.

I would give you an award for being premature in your praise of an active fighter!

Bummy Davis and George Crowcroft like this.
  4. choklab

choklab cocoon of horror Full Member

Dec 31, 2009
    Proof once again.

another example where somebody may as well just say:

“ I disagree with any defence of Marciano, therefore you are dishonest, disingenuous and mad.”

5. choklab

Dec 31, 2009
    Was the post even directed at you?

6. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    Wilder has beaten three ranked contenders.

He's obviously dangerous for that.

George Crowcroft likes this.
  7. KuRuPT

KuRuPT Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 26, 2011
    This right here made me LOL at work

swagdelfadeel and JohnThomas1 like this.
  8. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Marciano did not have good balance and Emmanuel Steward commented on it, he fell to the floor after missing punches against Lastarza and Beshore.The problem with Rocky ,for his opponents, was he never seemed to get discouraged or fall prey to doubts about the possibility of losing,even when half blinded in the first Walcott fight , his only comment to his corner was,"Im having trouble seeing",he never for a second contemplated quitting. A very disquieting man to fight I should imagine.

Cecil, Reinhardt, Seamus and 2 others like this.
  9. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    I don't think you are mad.lol

swagdelfadeel likes this.
  10. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    As of this moment McVey is half pissed on Chateauneuf- du- Pape!

11. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    No, but @The Undefeated Lachbuster told me he didn't have the heart to tell you himself

12. choklab

Dec 31, 2009
    Oh the hate is strong in this one.

Why do you take it so personal? It’s not my fault the legend of Big Cat Williams didn’t stack up.

13. choklab

Dec 31, 2009
    Hope it’s a good vintage. Enjoy!

mcvey likes this.
  14. Glass City Cobra

Glass City Cobra H2H Burger King Full Member

Jan 6, 2017
    I guess you don't know what a volume puncher is?

How do you spam and throw tons of 1 punch ko punches and land flush yet take several rounds to ko your opponents? Its a contradiction.

Have you seen Wilder's ko of Szpilka? It was a beautiful counter. Rocky getting dropped early cant be called a fluke since it happened twice and wilder has several brutal first round blowouts.

There weren't 4 titles in rocky's era. Rummy's corner already ethered this silly argument against wilder. There'd be a lot more people equaling his record in this so called "weak" era if it was so easy. And Joshua blatantly ducked him to cherry pick gabriel iglesias--i mean Andy Ruiz--and paid for it.

He showed that he was in better shape than a bunch of shopworn old fighters. Credit to him for beating the best opponents available but to quote his own opponent don cokkel "he simply threw more". I don't know why people keep putting their fingers in their ears when it comes to this. He has to usually resort to tko's/ref stoppages when he finally steps up against mediocre opponents who had several prior brutal ko losses. That says it all.

Wilder fights tall and rocky uses his "special crouching style to make himself smaller" to quote the experts around here. Sounds like a recipe for a disaster. A flabby old joe Louis gave rocky a black eye with his jab, how is he going to get past a prime wilder's jab? Watch the first stiverne fight. Obviously rocky is a better fighter than stiverne but the dude was helpless and lost every round to Wilder's jab.

Actually he does but many people have made that comparison as far as his body type and how he gets leverage and snap. Foreman, holyfield, and lennox have also praised wilder but i guess they were just drunk.

1-wilder has become more of a boxer puncher in his recent fights. His ko of brezeale was beautiful.
    2-wilder has a damn good jab too. Not as Great as hearns Obviously but this is a myth. Agree hearns waz a better body puncher i have no idea why wilder doesn't go there.
    3-true but to be fair hearns had a phenomenal amateur career and an ATG trainer.
    4-sometimes. Wilder's footwork is inconsistent but he's had some food showings. Its becoming apparent you only watch his earlier cruder fights which is ironic given you are arguing in rocky's favor. Their early careers were both very crude and sloppy.
    5-they both do that.

That's all i was saying then you went on a huge tangent. He gets lots of leverage with a similar lanky body. A stubby slugger with poor defense is a bad matchup. If wilder had a weak chin like hearns id favor rocky in a heart beat.

Yawn.

Fury was a prime undefeated lineal champion. Ortiz was an undefeated hard hitting south paw with a superb amateur background and top 10 ranking. Your entire paragraph is fake news.

Reinhardt and swagdelfadeel like this.
  15. swagdelfadeel

swagdelfadeel Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Any Liston or Marciano thread. The fact that you're trying to deny it is laughable.