Marciano-I Just Don't Understand It

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by janwalshs, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Bummy Davis

Bummy Davis Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 26, 2004
    Wilder showed he is not a good fighter backing up- A good pressure puncher with the gumption to fight that way has a 50-50 chance of knocking Wilder out and a great pressure puncher with the will to wins have even greater odds.

Some guys are great at coming forward but lose their power and game plan backing up- Ken Norton comes to mind.

Right now I give many of the ATG's a excellent chance of victory over Wilder - size has nothing to do with it -Wilder was already KO'd in the amateurs vs a 6 ft Romanov so his chin can be reached.

Wilder still has power but despite his size Fury is not a puncher- it was his pressure and will to win and carrying out his plan that won this fight.

2. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Superman was not a word I used about Frazier,in fact Frazier does not make my all time top ten.
    How does he beat Wilder?
    He beats him with pressure and inside fighting ,Wilders right hand sailed over Fury's head time and time again. All Fury had to do to avoid it was drop his head down.
    Frazier's head was always moving and Wilder would have great difficulty landing solidly on it.
    Wilder hasn't got a clue about fighting inside and nearly everything he throws is long.He has the power to ko anybody but has he the skills to land it?
    He's been fed a bunch of scrubs and only faced a couple of class men in his career.He is no better now than he was when he beat Stiverne and took his title.That was 5 years and ten fights ago .

Fury knocked him down with a left hook to the body.
    Frazier would be hitting him in the ribs all night.Wilder likes to fight at a leisurely pace and his punch output is dire. Frazier would not give him room to breathe.
    Anyone who has eyes knows Fury beat Wilder in their first fight, Wilder did not win more than 3/4 rds,In his last fight he lost every round against an old Ortiz,If Wilder's jab is so great, how come he was behind on points in both Ortiz fights before he landed his right hand?
    I don't know what the three forum experts think, but that's my take on it.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
  3. Mod-Mania

Mod-Mania Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 12, 2012
    By completley outclassing him that's how.

4. Fury's Love Handles

Fury's Love Handles Mrkoolkevin Full Member

Feb 22, 2020
    Very well put!!

mr. magoo likes this.
  5. sauhund II

sauhund II Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 8, 2008
    fair assessment

So wilder will never land against Frazier ?

Does frazier have the same strengh as Fury to maul him inside ?

6. mr. magoo

mr. magoo VIP Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    Agreed. It would take a Mike Tyson ( or someone LIKE him ) to beat Wilder by mauling him on the inside.

7. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Nowhere in my post did I say he won't ever land his punches.I said he would have difficulty landing solidly on Frazier.Frazier won't try to maul him inside, he'll be too busy throwing , he was a much better inside fighter than Wilder and Fury put together.His hook would be beating a tattoo on Wilder's skinny ribs all night long. Frazier bossed Ali on the inside and Ali was 5 times the fighter Deontay is. Frazier bruised Ali's hip bones and the tops of his legs,and Ali was a hell of a lot more durable that Wilder.Six or seven rounds of being bombarded by that left hook would find Wilder's chicken legs beginning to betray him.imo

Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
    BobD99, swagdelfadeel and Bummy Davis like this.
  8. reznick

reznick In the 7.2% Full Member

Mar 17, 2010
    imo Wilders two biggest weaknesses are fighting on the inside, and fighting going backwards.

Marciano KO

9. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Things I learned today.

"Gumption" is the key to beating a world champion who has been argued by many to be the hardest puncher of all time.

35 fight amateur records are to be taken into account when reviewing the prospects of a world champion with 44 fights, including 11 title defenses.

By the latter rule, I guess it's time to discuss Coley Wallce... and perhaps even Ted Lowry.

Pat M and Clean & Crisp like this.
  10. Bummy Davis

Bummy Davis Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 26, 2004

well I just learned Wilder stated it was the 40 lb costume that drained him so now I know the real reason he lost

The things "I Learned" from the fight itself is that Wilder can not fight backing up and getting hit stopped the hitter from hitting

I think Wilder can still punch very hard but his weaknesses are more evident and his opponents with "GUMPTION" or big testicles will take a different more aggressive approach

time will tell

choklab, BobD99 and Gazelle Punch like this.
  11. Glass City Cobra

Glass City Cobra H2H Burger King Full Member

Jan 6, 2017
    The part of the equation these "pressure fighter beats wilder" folks aren't getting is that pressure fighting takes time and endurance to pay off. Frazier and Marciano had tons of endurance but they weren't exactly defensive wizards and it would take TIME to wear down the 6'7 wilder, gap in skill or not. Neither woukd stop him early. They still have to get past those sledgehammer right hands. Both of them usually took a few rounds to warm up and did their best work in the mid-late rounds. Both rocky and frazier have gone down early in multiple fights. Only a fool would bet that they miraculously never get nailed hard before their pressure fighting begins to pay off in the mid rounds. Do they survive? Possibly, both are tough and have gotten off the floor to finish fights. But we're talking about a guy who, if nothing else, can punch really damn hard (top 3 of all time) and neither Frazier nor marciano were hard to find. Wilder can't fight backing up but they can't either.

Clean & Crisp and Blaxx like this.
  12. mr. magoo

mr. magoo VIP Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    Absolutely.. I agree on all accounts and have felt the same way for years... Especially when fantasy matchups featuring them vs guys like Lennox Lewis and the Klitchkos come up.. granted I don’t put Wilder in their category but some of the same nuances make for a very similar scenario. Another thing is that the old adage “ the smaller guy always has to work harder “ holds a lot of weight here.. Marciano and Frazier would have to work VERY hard to beat Deontay wilder and that hard work along with getting hit by some of those huge bombs would all take its toll

Clean & Crisp likes this.
  13. ETM

ETM I thought I did enough to win. Full Member

Mar 19, 2012
    Your a complicated man.

14. swagdelfadeel

swagdelfadeel Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 30, 2014
    How so? I mean it wasn't really tested to much but it did take some decent shots without failing him.

15. swagdelfadeel

swagdelfadeel Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Meh. Tyson was not good inside. His best range was mid. That being said I'd pick Tyson to KO Wilder in no more than 4.

young griffo likes this.