Marciano-I Just Don't Understand It

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by janwalshs, Aug 2, 2010.

1. mostobviousalt

mostobviousalt Active Member banned Full Member

Jun 4, 2016
    Not that he punches as hard as the lightheavyweights Kovalev or Stevenson.
    And he doesn't punch as hard as the cruiserweights.
    Certainly not as hard as the heavyweights.

He never would have been a heavyweight puncher except maybe the very early years of boxing when you still had Walcott (the midget) fighting an occasional heavyweight and knocking out Choyski.

I don't even rate his power that high.
    Very hard puncher, but the volume in which he throws also helps.
    I don't think he would be P4P #1 puncher during any year of boxing.

2. reznick

reznick In the 7.2% Full Member

Mar 17, 2010
    He knocked Kovalev down with a body shot. And according to his sparring partners, you're wrong.

This content is protected

Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
  3. reznick

Mar 17, 2010
  4. mostobviousalt

Jun 4, 2016
  5. reznick

Mar 17, 2010
  6. mostobviousalt

Jun 4, 2016
    Do you have any source confirming that he knocked down Kovalev?

Also I don't care what those sparring partners say because they may have an agenda or they're just trying to hype him up.
    He hasn't knocked out a heavyweight, he isn't knocking out heavyweights.

If he hit so hard, then why couldn't he fight Ward at 168?

Besides Zuri Lawrence which heavyweight wouldn't have dropped Brook with ease?
    How many rounds would Murray last against a top 10 heavyweight contender?

Is this the power of a heavyweight?

7. mostobviousalt

Jun 4, 2016
    You are denying that those punches are looped?

8. FrankieinTexas

FrankieinTexas the Bronx to Texas Full Member

Apr 16, 2016
    None of them. Too big, too strong. Rocky's best assets were strength and tenacity.
    He would be weaker against all of them. I'd give him a shot against Liston, but no
    one else. Remember that he was a small guy...no way he could bulk up, with or
    without PEDS, to a 210lb HW.

Dempsey would be a different story. He had the frame to bulk up to 210 at least.
    He'd be competitive against all of them, but would probably lose to every one
    in super action bouts.

9. reznick

Mar 17, 2010
    Source:

Of course you don't care what sparring partners say. Because your ego is more important than the truth, which is why you would take liberties to discredit the guys who actually stepped in the ring with him. How self righteous can you be?

Why has Golovkin not fought Ward? I'm not his manager, I can't tell you the exact reasons. But it seems like Golovkin wants to unify the middleweight belts, and hopefully a bout with Canelo, before moving up. He's basically said it every fight.

You are the worst kind of boxing fan.

Nighttrain likes this.
  10. Absolutely!

Absolutely! Fabulous, darling! Full Member

Jul 8, 2010
    I don't know why anyone would seriously consider a 185lber to have any success against 200+ quality heavyweights. There's just too much weight to give away, not to mention Marciano possesses none of the required attributes for a smaller fighter to succeed (speed, explosiveness, quick feet, excellent defence). Everything he did well in his own career came as a result of being tougher, stronger, more tenacious than his opponents, two of which categories he'd be badly outgunned against all the above. Not to mention his low crouching style and bad back would see him get murdered against any of the big men who'd try to impose their weight on him in the clinch.

Liston and Bowe I see as being his best shots, Liston for the fact that he wouldn't be giving such a ludicrous amount of weight away, Bowe for his sloppy defence and propensity to give up his height. But those are outside shots. The others all destroy him in a multitude of ways.

11. reznick

Mar 17, 2010
    ydksab because you think those are bad punches.

Those are incredible, world class long distance power punches. You couldn't dream of teaching that form on the overhand right.

Look at his arm. His shoulder and elbow are cocked, and his body weight delivers the punch. To me, that is not a looping punch. I don't know what your definition is. For instance, do you think Wilder is a looping puncher? If so, do you think he is a bad puncher?

12. reznick

Mar 17, 2010
    Again, the answer is punching. Rocky's punching can overcome the weight disparity. Well, thats my argument anyways.

Rocky had no explosiveness? lol I'm assuming thats a mistake. Do you really think he lacked that? Have you seen Rocky fights with good quality? I ask because personally, he looks like one of the most explosive boxers to ever lace them up.

I do agree that Bowe would be the least challenging of all these really tough opponents. Him or Vitali. Lewis and Foreman would be his hardest.

13. mostobviousalt

Jun 4, 2016
    Wilder has windmilled on more than a few occassions.

"incredible world class long distance power punchers"
    Can't make this **** up.

They're looped as ****, put off your rose tinted glasses.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
  14. mostobviousalt

Jun 4, 2016
    So no confirmation it happened, good.

I don't care about the sparring partners because he has knocked down exactly 0 heavyweights.
    He has knocked down 0 cruiserweights.

Murray took a tremendous amount of punches before being stopped standing. If it was Wilder or Parker hitting him he would have been scrambled early.

Let's see how his power carries over to SMW.

Gennady doesn't hit as hard as any of the heavyweight contenders and fringe guys.

15. reznick

Mar 17, 2010
    Rocky leverages his entire body into the trajectory of those punches. Again, do you consider Foreman to be a loopy puncher? Under that context, yeah those are looping punches, and they are some of the best punches you will see thrown.

Do you think those punches I posted clips of are bad punches?