Marciano v Vingo where’s the tape?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Gazelle Punch, Dec 15, 2018.

1. Gazelle Punch

Gazelle Punch Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 15, 2018
    im not sure if there ever was video of the Marciano Vingo fight but I’ve seen many links for it that say video not available. Anyone have any insight into this? Or where I may be able to get a link?

2. The Undefeated Lachbuster

The Undefeated Lachbuster I check this every now and then Full Member

Jul 18, 2018
    This content is protected

At 0:29 there's a very short glimpse of the footage of Marciano vs Vingo. There's a brief moment of fighting and Vingo being carried out on a stretcher at the end.

I have searched for this fight forever, but to no avail (minus the segment I linked). I believe someone has it hidden away in some basement or attic somewhere, as what many great fight films are subjected to.

Gazelle Punch likes this.
  3. Gazelle Punch

Aug 15, 2018
    Man that was a tease lol thanks for the thread I know it’s out there somewhere!

4. KasimirKid

KasimirKid Well-Known Member Full Member

Jun 1, 2018
    That's all there is. There isn't any more.

And a miracle it is, that we have any at all.

RockyJim and Gazelle Punch like this.
  5. Farooq

Farooq Member banned Full Member

Nov 13, 2018
    Here is a better question. Where is the footage of 160 pound journeyman Ted Lowry beating the tar out of Marciano and holding back to avoid knocking Marciano out.

6. The Undefeated Lachbuster

Jul 18, 2018
    That's interesting, you're interesting

Also minor point here, but Lowry weighed 181lbs, Marciano beat him like a dog in the 2nd fight, and the "robbery" you refer to is one newspaper which had it 6 rounds to 4.

RockyJim likes this.
  7. Gazelle Punch

Aug 15, 2018
    Fake news. No one of any real significance what so ever thought he actually lost that fight. Many thought it was an easy victory. Marciano camp never even mentions a hint of worry about that fight. Regardless he was still learning the craft and wasn’t even close to prime yet. Many greats had close calls or even loses in their early primes so who really cares anyway unless u have an agenda?

8. reznick

reznick In the 7.2% Full Member

Mar 17, 2010
    Is it true that Vingo was partially paralyzed from this match?

@mcvey

9. Gazelle Punch

Aug 15, 2018
    Sounds like more made up Marciano fairy tales...next you’ll say he had the highest KO percentage amongst lineal champs which would be impossible for a 5 foot 2 midget weighing 150 pounds sigh

10. reznick

reznick In the 7.2% Full Member

Mar 17, 2010
    His arms were shorter than the list of SHWs he fought.

RockyJim likes this.
  11. Gazelle Punch

Aug 15, 2018
    That’s a short list. The fights he did have w “shw” lasted shorter then his arm length. I must say love the videos u put out and only teasing @mcvey guy forgot more about boxing then I’ll know. He just doesn’t have a fond opinion of Marciano for some reason if which I whole heartedly disagree.

Mendoza likes this.
  12. The Undefeated Lachbuster

Jul 18, 2018
    Pssh, next thing you'll tell me is that he destroyed Rex Layne's front row of teeth

RockyJim and Gazelle Punch like this.
  13. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    No,you are wrong,I have a very high opinion of Rocky,he ducked no one, and was a truly great champion and a fine man.That does not get him into my top ten of alltime great heavyweights.I think he would struggle mightily against the present breed of super heavies but,in that he would not be alone among the heavyweight champs of the past!

JC40 and Pat M like this.
  14. Gazelle Punch

Aug 15, 2018
    Should have clarified in HW h2h

15. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    1949-10-10 : Rocky Marciano 180¼ lbs beat Ted Lowry 177¾ lbs by UD in round 10 of 10
    • Location: Rhode Island Auditorium, Providence, Rhode Island, USA
    • Referee: Ben Maculan
    Michael J. Thomas of the Providence Journal wrote, "Marciano did not win the fight. This reporter gave it to Lowry, six rounds to four.”

The crowd of 3,696 booed the decision and some wondered if Lowry had thrown the fight. "There were some questions as to whether Lowry, who had come close to knocking out Marciano in the second, third and fourth rounds, deliberately bogged down in his attack after the fourth stanza," Thomas wrote. "Lowry stopped using his uppercut after the fourth. He went into a shell and only occasionally landed power shots. He seemed to be carrying Marciano."

In his book Rocky Marciano: The Rock of His Times, Russell Sullivan wrote the following:

"It was Lowry, not Marciano, who was on the verge of scoring an early knockout, stinging Marciano with two terrific rights in the first round and then rocking him with two mighty uppercuts in the second. By the fourth, a staggered Marciano seemed just one punch away from being knocked out. But then, inexplicably, Lowry stopped fighting and retreated into a shell despite warnings from the referee to open up and a cascade of boos from the crowd. To many, it appeared that Lowry was deliberately carrying Marciano. Was foul play afoot? Was Lowry getting paid to lose? Or was he merely tiring? Whatever the reason, a revived Marciano managed to rally in the late rounds even though many of his punches missed their mark or lacked force. On the basis of his aggressiveness and constant punching, Marciano won a unanimous decision from the judges. Most observers felt, however, that Lowry should have won."
    Lowry, who earned $2,500 for the fight, denied he threw the fight. "I beat Rocky that night and that’s it," he said. "He changed his strategy in the fifth round and made a fight of it, but I won two of the last six rounds after winning the first four. It was a hometown decision."

1950-11-13 : Rocky Marciano 186 lbs beat Ted Lowry 180¾ lbs by UD in round 10 of 10
    • Location: Rhode Island Auditorium, Providence, Rhode Island, USA
    • Referee: Sharkey Buonanno
    "I still think I won the first fight and so do a lot of other people," the 86-year-old Lowry told writer Robert Mladinich for a 2006 article. "I feel as if I was cheated out of my little piece of history."

Lowry conceded that Marciano beat him fairly in their rematch. "I realize I still have a piece of history," he said. "Here it is, all these years later and reporters still come around and ask about the Marciano fights."