Marciano v Vingo where’s the tape?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Gazelle Punch, Dec 15, 2018.

1. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Good little attrition fighter. Brought his lunch pail and hard hat to the ring.

Not sure I would rank him as a heavyweight, tho. Good little fighter. Go, Rudy!

2. Gazelle Punch

Gazelle Punch Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 15, 2018
    That’s unfortunate was hoping for a different answer. But I’m glad I got to see the tiny amount that was posted

3. Cojimar 1946

Cojimar 1946 Well-Known Member Full Member

Nov 23, 2014
    Oh sure H2H he is probably outside the top ten but I thought we were talking accomplishments.

4. dinovelvet

dinovelvet Antifanboi Full Member

Jul 21, 2012
    Rocky could be rated higher H2H if more footage of him was available. Perhaps he performs better against big hocks then he does against slick movers like Walcot and Charles. Big man Vingo looks like he was ran over by Jack Dempsey in that short grainy footage and we know how good Jack was against the big boys.

5. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    "Big Man Vingo" weighed less than 190lbs.Seven of his previous 17 opponents had losing records and the one prior to the Marciano fight was having his first outing! He was an untested and untried string -bean novice.

JC40 likes this.
  6. reznick

reznick In the 7.2% Full Member

Mar 17, 2010
    A very nice memory for 50's small America where ideas, the economy, and hearts were small.
    But among small, very good.
    Great stamina, for the small.
    In SmallVille, he'd be king.
    Small.

7. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    You wanted a reason why someone did not rank Marciano in their top ten.I gave you mine.

8. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Great fighter ,great champ, a fine man who doesn't need any mythological embellishments.

JC40 likes this.
  9. The Undefeated Lachbuster

The Undefeated Lachbuster I check this every now and then Full Member

Jul 18, 2018
    He wasn't a string bean, here's a picture of him before the Marciano fight

http://www.sportenote.com/img.aspx?img=/public/foto_pugili/49451/carmine vingo.jpg&s=600

Calling Vingo a nobody because he didn't weight alot is asinine. Is Deontay Wilder a lesser fighter for being 212 at 6'7"? Both were in great condition, lean and game. Apparently I'm the only person on this forum who doesn't buy into fatness giving boxers superpowers

Vingo was considered a great promise and up and coming hopeful. Also fighting 7 people with losing records in your first 17 fights is understandable, every fighter builds their records on bums in the beginning. If he was untested, so was Marciano.

Your points are moot at best and disrespectful at worse. Vingo was a fine fighter, and it was a terrific win for Marciano

10. Gazelle Punch

Aug 15, 2018
    You’re not alone. Automtically gaining fat doesn’t make you a superior fighter. It doesn’t help your chin, technique, power nor stamina. It’s also ridiculous to think Rocky would fight at 188 today or that AJ would be 250 back then. It’s been proven plenty that LOADS of great fighters have proven to not only gain weight to compete but win. Ali was a string bean when he started his career by the way. Joe Luis Holyfield Byrd Tooney RJJ Archie Moore Sphinx exc all proved u can move to HW and properly bang w the bigs. Marciano made short work of his larger opponents I see no reason why others wouldn’t meet the same fate. He’s also a top 5 h2h imo 3-5 range and to call him an attrition puncher is ridiculous especially trying to cite LaStarza who was never stopped at the time. Rocky has what 16 first round KOs? That’s an attrition puncher? He was an inaccurate puncher and a slow starter which probably delayed the inevitable in many fights. Seems others have a strange agenda hear

11. The Undefeated Lachbuster

The Undefeated Lachbuster I check this every now and then Full Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Marciano, in the 12 round era, would probably weigh around 195-200. Less focus on conditioning. His ridiculous roadwork and other conditioning methods prevented to much bulk for an otherwise stocky highschool wrestler and football player.

https://static.boxrec.com/7/7e/Simmons_vs_Rocky.jpg

^Marciano at 192lbs against Keene Simmons

About AJ, I'm of the opinion that he's on steroids, but if he was around in Marciano's time, I think he'd still weigh in the 240s, maybe 230s for extra conditioning (AJ's gastank is already pretty bad for 12 rounds lol)

Primo Carnera was 6'6" 260lbs and looked just as lean, muscular and stocky, though he was a circus strongman, and weightlifting was frowned upon in boxing.

Fighters obviously need time to flesh out their physiques and build solid mass, I agree.

The claim that Marciano is an attention puncher is stupid revisionist garbage that would be laughed at in the 50s. Marciano was considered the most destructive puncher with 1 blow of all time at that point. Walcott, Matthews, etc would highly object to the claim

Marciano has 11 first round knockouts, and 7 2nd round knockouts. His average knockout round was 4.04, faster than Joe Louis himself. Which fits considering Dempsey and Louis seemed to be of the opinion that Marciano hit harder than themselves

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
  12. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Marciano had 24 fights under his belt.He was more experienced than Vingo who had already lost a fight to a non- entity.
    Vingo was 6'4" and just 189lbs.Foreman for example was 6'3"224lbs without any fat,that is 35 lbs heavier.Liston was 6'1", 212/218lbs without any fat.You are spouting nonsense.Show me any part of my post that can be construed as disrespectful .Show me where I called him a"nobody".

Who had Vingo beaten that meant he could be ranked as a"fine fighter"?Name them!

13. Gazelle Punch

Aug 15, 2018
    Believe it was a four round decision. Marciano fight was his first 10 rounder. But the kid was taughted as special unless you disagree with the newspaper men of the time?

14. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    I'd need to see those reports got them?

15. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    To hear you talk every fighter of 6'4" Vingo's height who weighed 212+lbs must be fat.Total nonsense !
    Thomas 6'3"220lbs
    Weaver 6'1" 222lbs
    Smith 6'3"227lbs
    Snipes6'2"215lbs
    Williams 6'3"215lbs
    Foreman 6'3" 226lbs
    Lyle 6'3" 220lbs
    Norton6'3" 2213lbs
    All shorter than Vingo. All outweigh him, some by up to38lbs !
    Any fat on them?lol

JC40 likes this.