Marciano versus Tyson. Who Would Win?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Bonecrusher, Jun 30, 2010.

1. RockysSplitNose

RockysSplitNose Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 15, 2007
    Nice one Seamus - you just owned his ass completely there :good - and Ken808 go lose yourself under the wheels of a truck - people died in WWII trying to rid the world of scum like you :hi:

2. SuzieQ49

SuzieQ49 Officer Full Member

Sep 14, 2005
    Everything is a mismatch with Marciano isn't it? I bet u wouldnt pick dempsey or frazier to get knocked out in first round by tyson.

3. cuchulain

cuchulain VIP Member Full Member

Jan 6, 2007
    And why would that be ?

That just means that not everyone sees this hypothetical in the same light as you do.

Again, opinion. And reasonable opinion.

But Tyson, in his short prime never faced a fighter of Marciano's calibre.
    (Holmes was well past it). Marciano had a very good chin and was difficult to land on flush. He had an awkward crouching style, and he hit a lot harder than any of prime Tyson's opponents.

Not sure what you're trying to say here, but the jist seems to be that picking Rocky to win, is as ridiculous as picking Mike to get the KO in one.

That's preposterous.

Mike by KO in one is almost certainly not going to happen. While Marciano winning by late stoppage is a distinct possibility.

Others have explained how. Absorb Mike's early onslaught (in the manner of Biggs, Tucker, Thomas and Smith, all lesser fighters than Marciano) and wear Mike out in the later rounds.

While I would pick Marciano here, I realize that this is anybody's guess, and I wouldn't be shocked if Mike pulled off an early KO.

But if it goes past 6 or 7, as many of prime Mike's fights did, Marciano begins to look better and better.

4. PowerPuncher

PowerPuncher VIP Member Full Member

Jul 22, 2004
    I remember a past prime Ezzard Charles and Walcott both landing combinations on Marciano. Tyson is faster and better in combination than both of those men

The reason Tyson didn't go life and death with his opponents, is because he completely dominated them, something he would likely do with Rocky.

Its a myth Tyson didn't overcome adversity, he did against Bruno 1, Rudduck, Botha. Post prison though he was past prime and never recaptured the stamina to go 12rounds without being stopped.

He was also regularly fighting men 230-250lb men who had 5-7inches in height on him, Marciano had no such strength/size advantages.

5. PowerPuncher

PowerPuncher VIP Member Full Member

Jul 22, 2004
    I wouldn't be suprised for him to KO all 3 in the 1st, more than likely within the first 3rounds though. Tyson is possibly the best of all time at scoring early KOs against elite opponents

6. johnmaff36

johnmaff36 Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 5, 2009
    Mate, im not having a pop at you but it took you long enough to say that! Why do you almost always bring colour into it. I havent been here long myself but ive seen some real heavy debates and a lot of schoolboy name-calling but ive never once seen colour mentioned, nor have i read a post and thought 'That guy must be black/white/green because hes bigging up Ali/Dempsey/the hulk'. I dont know if your aware your doing it, or why you feel the need to do it, but its got nothing to do with a boxing forum or boxing.

Anyways, im kinda split here. 80% tyson blasts him out very early and 20% marciano on a late stoppage if he goes past 6 rounds.

Peace.

7. he grant

he grant Historian/Film Maker Full Member

Jul 15, 2008
    SQ, grown up . I started an entire thread last week to memorialize my exact thoughts on Marciano so there is no question on my position ... you write like a two year old when you respond like this. I simply feel it is a stylistic nightmare for Rocky against Tyson. Tyson was much faster, bigger, stronger, harder hitting and faster starting. Marciano was a slow starter. I see Tyson storming out and doing a number on him, hitting harder and faster than anyone he ever saw let alone fought. How many shots do you feel this 187 pound man is going to absorb ? How is he going to avoid the shots ? How is he going to keep him off?

All the fantasies of Rocky out gutting him are crap in my book. There is a ton about Tyson I don't like. He was a piece of garbage for most of his life. However up though the Lewis fight, in his losses to Douglas and the first Holyfield fight, he took tremendous beatings without ever quitting. Against Lewis he took many bombs, round after round, that made the shots Marciano took from Lowry, Vingo, Walcott and Moore look like love taps and he kept fighting. All the Teddy Atlas rap about the bully is b.s. His performances proved otherwise.

YOu could not pick a worse match up for Marciano that Tyson. AS far as other Tyson match ups, it is not on this thread.

8. Bummy Davis

Bummy Davis Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 26, 2004
    Tyson appeared to be a steamroller but I recall even in fights vs Tony Tucker, Razor Rudduck when he himself thought he was invincible when he got tapped in the jaw he because less aggressive. When Tyson was in against an opponent with no fear he became a different man. I recall the fight Evander had vs Bobby Czyz,a tko in 5,Czyz a former middleweight and light-heavyweight. Based off that fight Evander looked like he had zero heavyweight power and Czyz was KO'd in his next fight vs Corrie Sanders in 2. Prior to the fight I really did not think Evander had the right style to beat Mike and I thought Mike would win. However Evander showed confidence before that fight and when Tyson tried his best but I think Evanders heart and lack of fear bothered Mike in that fight and the subsequent battle .

I saw this folded tent attitude in Tyson later in the Danny Williams fight and McBride and Lennox Lewis but Evander was a pleasant surprise.

Tyson did take some shot from Buster Douglas but to be honest with you that was the 1st fight that Douglas did not fold his tent with adversary. Many felt Douglas could have gotten up vs Evander like many felt Tyson could have gotten up vs McBride, Williams and Evander.

There was a mental weakness in Tyson and it came out when he was in with a dog with no quit. I also thought Tyson was a force and thought so until I saw how he handled serious adversity. I think Tyson's biggest weakness was Marciano's strength. A humble confidence and lack of fear not lack of respect. Tyson had a lack of respect but a strong fear of those who did fear him and it came out when he was in with a determined ballsy foe. This is a strong factor in a fight vs Marciano and Tyson. Marciano by KO

9. red cobra

red cobra VIP Member Full Member

Jul 28, 2004
    I couldn't possibly have said it any better B.D.:thumbsup

10. tommygun711

tommygun711 The Future Full Member

Dec 26, 2009
    not brain dead. But you missed my point. Marciano wouldn't be hit with clean combinations, yeah, I know. Neither would Tyson, especially considering how slow Marciano hits? So I'm countering the your claim that Tyson wouldn't be able to hit marciano with clean combinations. neither would marciano. especially considering Tyson is so accurate and fast that you would think that HE would hit Marciano.
    So I think you should go back to sleep Rocky. You obviously missed my point that Tyson wouldn't be hit with combinations-slow combinations-in his prime. So get it right.

11. PetethePrince

PetethePrince Slick & Redheaded Full Member

May 30, 2009
    I know Marciano is a special fighter. He's my favorite fighter. No fighters has more of an effect on me when I watch his film. But we're talking about a 188 lb swarmer-slugger vs a 218 lb mid-range bomber. I know weight isn't everything, but Tyson has advantages in speed, power, and defense (Somewhat arguably for the matchup). Chin are probably equals, while Marciano is superior big time in heart and stamina.

Tyson fought big punchers like Ruddock and Bruno. He also knocked out one of the best LHWs in 1 round. At the same time, Tyson is difficult to hit as well. And Tyson has faced punchers that are arguably just as big if not bigger than Marciano, while Marciano has not tasted the same type of power Tyson has. Old Louis didn't have it, couldn't fire it.

I'm saying the odds of Rocky winning are close to the odds of a Tyson KO1. Maybe an exaggeration, but for those that think that people picking Tyson by early KO are crazy are basically calling the kettle black.

That really takes such a leap of faith. A very high belief, and supreme confidence. I have confidence in Marciano, he's my favorite fighter. But this is a very troubling style matchup. Almost as bad as Foreman-Marciano would be... perhaps worse.

12. RockysSplitNose

Jul 15, 2007
    :lol: Oh Tommygun so many glaring errors - you were insisting earlier that Tyson's combinations would be dangerous against Marciano and now you're admitting that Marciano in reality wouldn't be hit with combinations????

:huhps - when did I ever suggest combinations punching was even a strong suit of Marciano's???? Marciano virtually never used combinations??? The only one i ever saw him put together was in the finishing of LaStarza - so no Marciano wouldn't use combinations against Tyson - but when did I suggest this?? Is that something you dreampt I said while you were asleep earlier??

13. RockysSplitNose

Jul 15, 2007
    You REMEMBER Ez Charles and Walcott both landing combinations on Marciano??? Well you're memory is deceiving you methinks becasue it didn't happen - go back and check the films and come back to me when you've found these mysterious combinations that I missed????? :lol:

LOve the way in the space of two paragraphs you go from saying Tyson didn't go life and death with opponents because he dominated them.....to saying that he did go life and death with them!!??? :lol: And then you quote the Bruno I match - can't think of a more one sided fight - that was simply the very limited lumberous and scared to death Bruno being slowly pummelled - the Ruddock II match is a good shout though I'll give you that and well the Botha match?? Tyson looked absolutely awful in that and Botha really was not a world class fighter - Tyson made him look good in that one - better than anyone else made him look anyhow :lol:

Plus in Tyson's peak he wasn't generally fighting men who were 230-250 - Berbick 218 (against Tyson's 221), Pinky 217 (against Tyson's 218 ), TNT Tucker 221 (matching Tyson at 221), Spinks 212 (against Tyson's 218 ), The Truth Williams 218 (against Tyson's 219) - so no in general it was usually Tyson who was the bigger (and far stronger) against most of the limited guys he faced while in his heyday - do kind of agree with you on the height thing although thats because I'm of the opinion that Tyson's true height is more in the region of 5'8"/5'9" on the grounds that a mate of mine who is 5'11 met him in an all night clothes store while out in Vegas on holiday and Tyson was substantially shorter than my 5'11" mate. keep punching though - even if they don't carry much weight :bbb

14. hobgoblin

hobgoblin Active Member Full Member

Jul 31, 2004
    all right, fair enough. i have not watched enough marciano save for a few fights long time ago. if you say he has the skill to strategically fight and deal with tyson...then if that is true...he has a chance.

marciano knew what he was doing even when hurt against skilled boxers...but i don't know if that would remain true when he was badly hurt against a guy who hit much harder than archie moore and ezzard charles (if i recall, someone died in the ring against ezzard charles and i know that tyson's power is indeed very overrated so i guess there's the argument).

i agree that if tyson went the way of fouling he would definitely lose his focus and crumbed. however, i've only seen tyson lose his focus when he's been outboxed. the question is ...can marciano outbox tyson? that takes us to point #1. if it's a slugfest of even some moderate skill...i see tyson winning but from point #1 you suggest marciano is a more capable strategic boxer than the highlight reels suggest

15. choklab

choklab cocoon of horror Full Member

Dec 31, 2009
    if tyson hit marciano, no doubt he would feel it. tyson was a destructive, fast explosive fighter and even beter when things went his way. marciano was incredibly resiliant and intimidated by nobody. thats bad for tyson.

ok i know its a copout saying tyson was a buly but i think his record speaks for itself. the guys who gave tyson competative fights did not make him look like a superstar. surly if furguson, ribalta, green, bonecrusher, tillis, tucker, botha, neilson, douglas made tson look human then marciano would too.

Tysons record and films prove that if the fight is competative after 6 rounds the other guy is in with a shout since tyson ALWAYS got frustrated AFTER THAT POINT. . isnt marciano good enough to last as long as jese ferguson? Remember he bit ferguson.