Marciano vs Dempsey

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by DaveTheWave, Jul 10, 2007.

1. Maxmomer

Maxmomer Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 28, 2007
    Dempsey by TKO, late.

2. fists of fury

fists of fury Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 25, 2006
    I personally feel Rocky's imense stamina and ruggedness would be the deciding factors here. He'd look like a train hit him, but he'd be the winner on points over 15, maybe even by late stoppage.

3. Duodenum

Duodenum Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 18, 2007
    Dempsey could be a pretty modest fellow, and he was always dedicated to the promotion of the sport which made him famous (as has been Ali). It can sometimes be useful to "read between the lines" of a self-effacing quote like Jack's about Marciano's power. One reason Dempsey sometimes had to score multiple knockdowns is because so many of his shots were knockdown punches, indicating tremendous punch-for-punch power.

Dempsey fractured the ribs of Willard and George Godfrey (in sparring). The final knockdown he scored in the first Brennan fight caused KO's legs to lock up and break. Dempsey was the first boxer to floor or knock out many of his opponents (and the only one to ever drop Tunney). Marciano pretty much picked on people his own size, but Jack was a giant killer.

Rocky certainly needed only one solid smash twice against Walcott, and against Layne, and for my money, the double hook kayo he coldcocked Mathews with was the finest single performance instant of his career.

It bears repeating that Tunney stated he was only able to get three or four clear openings against a badly shot Dempsey, and even at his best, the Rock missed a lot of punches. Against Toledo Jack, the Blockbuster would be missing even more than usual. Most of the damage Tunney did to Dempsey was with his jab, not one of Marciano's more useful weapons.

Dempsey would not be attempting to bull Marciano backwards as Layne tried to do, and Rocky would not have enjoyed the enormous handspeed advantage against Jack that he had over Rex.

I've already picked Dempsey, but a key element of this matchup might be who is able to fight shorter. Jack would be spending more time than usual shadowboxing in his four foot cage, to try getting under the Blockbuster's overhand right. If he found that he couldn't get under the shorter Marciano, he could revert to using his superior reach and mobility from longer range, a boxing style he was perfectly capable of employing against an opponent of Rocky's stature.

4. Maxmomer

Jun 28, 2007
    Duodenum, love reading your posts on Dempsey. Very informative.

5. rekcutnevets

rekcutnevets Black Sash Full Member

May 25, 2007
    I think this fight would sort of resemble a heavyweight version of Hatton vs. Tszyu. Hatton being played by Marciano.

I've picked against Rocky in a few head to heads lately, but this time is different. I think Dempsey was the better athlete, was faster, and may have even been more vicious at times. I still think Dempsey would be the one that has to give ground to Marciano. I believe Dempsey faster hands would win him the first 4-6 rounds, but he would begin to tire after that. I think Rocky would bull him to the ropes, this is when the reference to the aforementioned Hatton vs. Tszyu type fight begins.

If the fight were schelduled for 10 rounds, I'd make it close to pick 'em and favor a draw.

12 rounds, Marciano by decision.

I am assuming this is 15, and I don't see Jack making it that far. Marciano by tko 13th or 14th round.

6. Maxmomer

Jun 28, 2007
    Most people seem to think Dempsey would tire over a 15 round war. What do people base this on? Did Dempsey have poor stamina? Looking at his record I see he only went the full 15 rounds once and won by decision. Are people just assuming?

7. Duodenum

Duodenum Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 18, 2007
    Dempsey and Marciano both went the 15 round distance only once, and both finished strongly, with their Hall of Fame opponents fading at the end. Jack was far more dominant in his defense against Gibbons than Rocky was in his initial scrape with Charles (Ezzard was reportedly ahead of Marciano after 12, while a past peak Dempsey with two years of ring rust took 12 of 15 from Gibbons, who like Charles was a seasoned 15 round veteran).

The latest round in which Marciano stopped an opponent was when he took the title with his one punch kayo of Walcott in round 13. The latest round that Dempsey took out an opponent in was round 12 of his unexpectedly tough title defense rematch against Brennan, when he put KO Bill down for the count with a flurry of bodyshots (indicating excellent late round power).

This match would not be decided because one of them tired out before the other, not over 15 rounds.

8. JIm Broughton

JIm Broughton Active Member Full Member

Feb 24, 2007
    In perhaps the greatest HW brawl of all time I see Dempsey stopping the Rock somewhere around the third or fourth round. This fight will not go the distance that much is certain. Dempsey's philosophy was end it quick before you get hurt. He would pounce on Rocky from the opening bell and would'nt stop until either he or Rocky was knocked out. Dempsey was faster both in feet and hands and his reach was considerably longer. This would allow him to get his shots in first even though the fight would be fought at close range. Rocky's reach, or lack of it would be his achilles heel. He would land some vicious swipes himself to be sure, maybe even drop Jack but Jack would get up and continue to hammer the smaller Marciano until either the ref jumps in or Rocky is ko'ed. A brutal contest no question but Jack was too primal a fighting force for even the stalwart Marciano who would fight valiantly until the bitter end.

9. Luigi1985

Luigi1985 Cane Corso Full Member

Feb 23, 2006
    IMO Dempsey is a bit overrated, the resume speaks 100 % for Marciano, he had more power, a bit better stamina, better chin. Dempsey´s only advantages would be speed (hand- and footspeed) and skills (combination boxing for example), I see a spectacular and equal fight until the middle rounds, where Marciano TKO´s Jack...

10. Maxmomer

Jun 28, 2007
    Took you a while to find this thread.

11. Luigi1985

Luigi1985 Cane Corso Full Member

Feb 23, 2006

Well, but I found it now... :D

12. Guido

Guido ESB Addict Full Member

Nov 19, 2004
    Yeah, what Duodenum said.

13. Dempsey1238

Dempsey1238 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 10, 2005
    All Gibbions did in the Dempsey fight was hold, and allow Dempsey to hit him with body and rabbit punchings. Charles did a lot more. He fought back.

14. Little_Mac

Little_Mac Active Member Full Member

May 18, 2007
    If I could pick one fight that never happened to actually happen, this would be the fight. Hands down nothing else comes close. That being said, I think Dempsey would knock Marciano's teeth out.

Dempsey KO later rounds