Marciano vs Foreman... What Can The Rock Do?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by PetethePrince, Sep 4, 2009.

1. MRBILL

MRBILL Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 9, 2008
    I say Marciano CANNOT take Foreman's early blows............. Marciano praised old farts like Louis and Walcott as being hard punchers in the early 1950s, and Marciano even added dudes like LaStarza, Cockell and Moore in the mix as well...... Well, fine..... I can respect that....... But let's not fool ourselves into thinking that any of them dudes at the time they fought Marciano were anywhere near as strong or as powerful as a '73 version of Foreman...............
    :yep:bbb

MR.BILL

2. MRBILL

Oct 9, 2008
    ALSO! The 1990 version of Foreman at age 41 when he was 253 pounds facing Gerry Cooney in Atlantic City is prolly the most wicked and powerful 40+ fighter I have ever seen with gloves laced up............... Nuff said.....

MR.BILL

3. PetethePrince

PetethePrince Slick & Redheaded Full Member

May 30, 2009
    First, Rocky was modest. Secondly, Walcott did hit hard. Third, someone said Marciano didn't think Louis hit hard. Was that Hegrant who said that? I believe he commented that Joe's left wasn't the same but his right still had something... I can't remember. I don't ever remember Marciano propping up LaStarza, Cockell as punchers or as fighters. He thought Cockell was a bum. He said that Moore hit him with the hardest right hand. Low and behold he got up at 2-3. Marciano was also off balance and didn't see it. Moore could punch, too.

4. OBCboxer

OBCboxer Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jun 2, 2007
    There really isn't much the Rock can do except try and bury himself against Foreman's chest. But even if he gets past Foreman's reach then he'll just get shoved off into Foreman's range. Foreman by early to mid rounds KO/TKO.

5. SuzieQ49

SuzieQ49 Officer Full Member

Sep 14, 2005
    Rex Layne was compared to the Manassa Mauler by experts at the time. He was 34-1 with 25 knockouts and had the reputation of a dangerous slugger with a great beard.

"Throw out the record book on Layne, he was a rugged brawler with a quick, very heavy right. As he got shopworn and discouraged, more and more, he got outworked and beaten down.

But, when he first raged out of Utah -- full of **** and vinegar -- he'd have been a handful for anybody. He could crack with that right."- Boxing Historian Joe Rein

"Layne looms as the outstanding prospect west of the
    Mississippi. He is a hard hitter... Layne has what it takes to be developed
    into the next world heavyweight king. He can hit and has an abundance of
    courage." - Nat Fleischer wrote in 1951

6. SuzieQ49

Sep 14, 2005
    I will say without question I disagree. What top 10 contender did ron lyle ever knockout with one right hand? Rocky knocked Jersey joe Walcott and Rex layne out cold with 1 right hand, and toppled Joe Louis through the ropes. Lyle never demonstrated this kind of power against rated opposition.

7. MRBILL

Oct 9, 2008
    Marciano can come in on Foreman, but, he must pay the Piper in doing so...... Foreman actually has / had a pretty good and often over-looked LEFT & RIGHT uppercut......

MR.BILL

8. SuzieQ49

Sep 14, 2005

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::rofl:rofl:rofl

9. Bokaj

Bokaj Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 4, 2008
    How many more "wicked and powerful" 40+ year olds have you seen? I can't see any 40+ fighter beat that Foreman.

10. rm36

rm36 Active Member Full Member

Jun 26, 2009
    What's so laughable about that statement ?

11. MRBILL

Oct 9, 2008

Good post by Bokaj......:good

Suzie Q...... WTF?:huh

What other former fighter between 1887 to 2009 was stronger and more powerful than 41 year old George Foreman in 1990????:twisted:

MR.BILL

12. MRBILL

Oct 9, 2008
    I thought James "Bonecrusher" Smith was pretty buffed and muscular in the 1980s and early 90s............ Smith was solid and looked stout between 228 to 245 pounds during the frame from 1983 to 1993....... The last time I was glad or happy to see Smith fight was when he dropped a decision to Michael Moorer in 1993 at age 40...... Smith came to fight, but was too slow to press Moorer long or hard enough to win..

However, while Smith is a former WBA paper champion, he is NOWHERE near the caliber of George Foreman......... And, what I am trying to get at is, after age 40, James Smith went to hell as a ringer..... And his 1999 rematch effort against Larry Holmes at 275 gross looking pounds of sagging tits and ass, just utterly turned me off........ What killed me the most was when Smith and his team went on record saying that Smith lost 30 pounds while training hard for Holmes in '99............. GEZUS!!!

The worst I ever saw Foreman was in his 1987 return in California at 267 pounds for Steven Zouski....... That was his initial comeback fight, so I'll cut Foreman some slack since he later proved himself serious.........

MR.BILL

13. PetethePrince

PetethePrince Slick & Redheaded Full Member

May 30, 2009
    Boxrec is fun but it's wrong. Foreman actually dieted down all the way to 220 or so pounds. Obviously you didn't see that fight, though. :D

Foreman said he would knock on the guy but he came forward. He thought the more weight gave him just enough of that power.

14. MRBILL

Oct 9, 2008

The hell? I have the "Foreman-Zouski" fight on tape....... Foreman was indeed 267 pounds for his March of '87 comeback in Calif....... Foreman was at his heaviest weight ever---in the ring...........
    :deal

Foreman's lightest weight during his comeback yrs was against Dwight M. Qawi in 1988 at 235 pounds.............. Foreman claimed that he eventually hit 229, but he felt weak and drained, so he started eating and pumping weights to bulk up and settle between 250 to 260 pounds for much of his later career in boxing.....
    :bbb

Myself, I thought Foreman was excellent at 244 pounds for his ESPN fight at the end of '87 for Rocky Sekorski...... I wish Foreman could've kept his weight between 243 to 245 pounds.... He was big and strong with some spryness there......
    :yep

MR.BILL:rasta

15. essexboy

essexboy The Cat Full Member

Jul 12, 2009
    Rocky gets knocked out, probably not as quick as Frazier but hes gonna take too much punishment and get finished off.