Marciano vs. Morrison

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by KobeIsGod, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Dempsey1238

Dempsey1238 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 10, 2005
    See the common Marciano haters, lol.

Who wins Marciano vs your Grandma. MY Grandma because 1 punch and she will ko that glass chin Marciano.

2. Sweet Science

Sweet Science Peaceful Muslim Warrior Full Member

Jun 20, 2007
    Marciano would kill Morrison. It wouldn't even be close.

Anyway, we know Tommy doesn't like fighting white men.
    As he says "Blacks are only tough till you hurt em once then you own em" Just like he owned Mercer :yep

3. KobeIsGod

KobeIsGod Who Necks?!? Full Member

Jan 7, 2007
    Why? One of the major criticisms of Marciano was the size of his opponents. Supposedly, he never faced any "big" skilled heavyweights. This is not the case w/Louis and Dempsey where it is argued they faced modern-sized heavyweights.

Morrison would have a 35 pound advantage and while not a great fighter at his best, he was at least decent to good. The Foreman fight tells me it was more his conditioning than chin contributing to his downfall.

Marciano would win, nevertheless, it is an interesting matchup since Morrison has a unique size and style when it comes to Rock's opponents. A very exciting fight w/multiple knockdowns. Sounds good to me.

4. Ramon Rojo

Ramon Rojo Active Member Full Member

Dec 5, 2005
    Morrison by brutal KO

ascended likes this.
  5. Dempsey1238

Dempsey1238 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 10, 2005
    Dempsey never fought a "BIG SKILL" man either, and no Fred Fulton and Jess Willard dont count. Same goes for Louis. Marciano would have destory Willard, Buddy Baer, Primo Carnea and Fulton.

ascended likes this.
  6. red cobra

red cobra VIP Member Full Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Morrison may have had a few moments early on like he did against Mercer, but the relentless pressure would have caught up with him and Rocky would have literally beat him to a pulp. When you consider that Rocky was so much mentally tougher than Tommy, and soooo much better as a fighter than Ray Mercer, you have to realize that it wouldn't be much different than the ending of that Mercer fight. Morrison would be on the ropes, cross-eyed with his head looking up at the lights when that final right would hit him, I think he would have been pulverized.

7. Executioner

Executioner Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Marciano would murder him

8. Ted Stickles

Ted Stickles Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 24, 2007
    Definately Rocky by KO!!!!!

9. JIm Broughton

JIm Broughton Active Member Full Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Call me a heretic but I think Tommy stands a good chance in this one. He has a considerable size advantage as well as speed advantage. His hands traveled a lot faster than Rocky's and he hit just as hard. When Tommy chose to he employed a hard fast jab as well and his considerable reach advantage would be a big asset. As far as the chin goes did Rocky ever get hit by the likes of a Mercer or a Foreman or a Morrison for that matter? If Moore could deck him and Walcott as well are we to believe that a much bigger and faster Morrison who hit alot harder than either man could'nt do it as well? Sure Marciano had the punch to hurt or stop Morrison but with a 68" reach how the hell is he going to land it? This is a big modern HW we're talking about. not Don Cockell or Ted Lowry or even Rex Layne for that matter. All these men fought at a time when the pace of a fight was a lot slower than it is now. Kind of like a one and a two beat to a Lawrence Welk tune. Don't get me wrong. I'm not putting down fighters of that or previous eras. Relatively speaking they were every bit as good as todays fighters and better than some. But the considerable size and speed advantage of the modern fighter and athlete in general would probably too much even for a warrior like Marciano who is an all time great no matter what. It's just hard for me to envision a 5'11" fighter witha 68" reach beating a fighter with Morrison's size and ability. Make them both the same size and it's a different story but otherwise I'd go with Tommy, at least a well trained focus Tommy.

10. Slothrop

Slothrop Boxing Junkie banned

Nov 25, 2004
    Marciano by K muthaf'kin O.

11. Luigi1985

Luigi1985 Cane Corso Full Member

Feb 23, 2006

Sorry for sounding disrespectful, but look at this matchup: Morrison´s chin was really shaky, was KO´d by mediocre punchers like Bent, or against Mercer, and now you put him in the ring against one of the hardest punchers ever... that can´t last long, because of Marciano´s iron chin, if Rocky would also be shaky, than it would be interesting, but it isn´t so...

12. Luigi1985

Luigi1985 Cane Corso Full Member

Feb 23, 2006

Some people must stop with that **** like "If fighter A can KD Fighter B, can you immagine what fighter C would do?", after this sentence, Ali for example wouldn´t have a chance against Liston, Frazier, Foreman, etc., and I could go on with 100 examples...

13. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    A more sensible match up would be Tommy Morrison vs Rex Layne.

That one isnt looking good for Morrison either.

14. Bummy Davis

Bummy Davis Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 26, 2004
    GOOD POINT:good :good

15. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006