Marciano vs. Norton

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by laxpdx, Apr 29, 2009.

1. SuzieQ49

SuzieQ49 Officer Full Member

Sep 14, 2005
    Earl Walls: A Career To Short

17.11.03 - By Keith Terceira: I began this article with the intentions of giving a cliquey on the boxing career of Canadian Champion Earl Walls, but became intrigued by the entire Walls family. One can only imagine the trials and tribulations endured by the Walls family founder Jon Freeman Walls. I highly recommend readers to take a moment and explore the Walls Family History located at www.undergroundrailroadmuseum.com

It is not often I add links and such to my work but this is a special occasion for a unique fighter.

Earl Walls was born in 1928 the second eldest of ten children in the Township of Maidstone. He attended Essex District High School leaving to work at Ford's with father Frank. At 19 Earl Walls came under the wing of Jimmy Jones a Toronto fight promoter. Training took him eventually to Stillman's Gym in New York City. A two fisted fighter Earl displayed a great left hook and powerful right.

May 5, 1948 in his pro debut Earl took on Dick Lee and it ended in a 1st round KO. In fact 17 of Walls 43 fights ended in one round. More 1st round knockouts than the great Joe Louis who was going strong at the onset of Walls career.

Some victims of the Earls Power were Kurt Schiegl, Rex Layne (twice), George Parmentier, Vern Escoe, Joe Kahut, Tommy Harrison, Bernie Reynolds . Earl had wins over Freddie Beshore, Henry Hall, Billy Gilliam. Just as things were coming together for Walls, at age 27, on November 2, 1955 he retires from the ring.

Nicknamed the "Hooded Terror" Walls blinded sided the sport by his announced departure while in training to Ewart "ED" Potgieter the South African gargantuan who demolished and dismantled opponents. 1957 Bruce Olson died as a result of injuries sustained in match bout with the 7 foot 2 inch 325 pound giant. This had nothing to do with Earls retirement. I suspect injuries and the birth of his first child led to the decision.

Perhaps it was the frustration of not receiving a shot at the title from Rocky Marciano, though plans were attempted by former world champion Henry Armstrong and promoter Vic Tanny. It was even reported in the L.A. Times as headline read "L.A. Scribe Says Armstrong Trying to Promote Marciano-Walls Fight".

Archie Moore considerd Walls as he started his run at Rocky but used the excuse that Walls didn't have the drawing power. More likely that Walls power was such that Moore couldn't gamble on being stopped short of his goal to meet Marciano. What resulted was the undignified suspect match-up of Valdez-Moore.

In 1954 when Harrison vs. Walls II occurred Walls was running a streak of 13 wins by KO before the sixth round and 2 losses on points to Joe Kahut and Tommy Harrison. He would avenge the loss to Joe six months later with a second round KO. April of 54 he walked into the ring and crushed Harrison in the first round.

It was also the last KO Earl would ever have. Injury could have possible stopped the power display that fans were used to from Walls. When he fought Edgardo Romero of Argentina ,a man who managed only a 6-12 career record the power had left. Edgardo pulled out a points win in 10 in Canada. Four months later Walls would return the favor, but Romero was notorious for having a weak chin, why either fight would go the distance is perplexing. Fact is that the last seven fights of his life, Earl went to the scorecards.

Points wins over Jimmy Slade . James J. Parker, Henry Hall and Billy Giliam put Earl in the #5 spot in the division . Maybe it was divine intervention. Perhaps the lure of family life that lead to the end of the beginning. Earl Walls after boxing became a force in real estate, a force in life, and an contributing bard on the Walls Family and the Underground Railroad.

2. hhascup

hhascup Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 27, 2006

Skhor was rated from May 1947 to August 1947, a total of 4 months and his highest rating was #8.

3. SuzieQ49

Sep 14, 2005
    Awesome Thanx alot!!! I figured that huge win over mauriello boosted him in there. Skhor also had a very nice win over borderline top 10 Rusty Payne in 1950 shortly before fighting Walcott and Marciano.

4. SuzieQ49

Sep 14, 2005
    This content is protected

This content is protected

5. groove

groove Well-Known Member Full Member

May 16, 2006
    that's a pretty sad report if they were scared of fighting marciano. shows that these so-called big 50s heavies are overrated - that's why light heavy Patterson (182 pounds) could smash the no.1 contenders like Moore. you think a ron lyle was afraid of facing george foreman or he would be afraid of fighting a marciano. i don't think so. if norton could choose - to fight foreman or marciano - i can guess which one he would pick :)

6. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    You can find a fight from any era where two of the top contenders fought a snorefest and were acused of being timid.

It should be noted that some contenders of this period like Harold Johnson did better against common oponents than Sonny Liston or Muhamad Ali.

To be honest with you I think the 50s contenders were somewhat better than those of the 60s excluding Liston and Ali.

7. MRBILL

MRBILL Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 9, 2008
    ****, I recall two champs named "Tyson" and "Bonecrusher Smith" were suppose to clash in the ring in 1987 and start a fire..... I was foaming at the mouth for that fight on FREE / Regular HBO.......... It was a wet dream made in heaven on paper..... Then the fight began, and after a few rds, I became bummed that the fire was a dud....... By round 10, Larry Merchant was questioning how the ringsiders who had paid 750 dollars per seat were feeling.... I have the fight on tape, but I rarely ever review the tape...... The fight / event stunk........

MR.BILL

8. MRBILL

Oct 9, 2008
    Contenders / Champions...... It's the same ol' song and dance........ What about the recent "Holy-Valuev" WBA title fight in Europe last December?? That has to be ONE of the all-time title fight stinkers the boxing world has ever seen before........

I must add that I am NOT impressed with the recent efforts by title challengers like DaVarryl Williamson or Tony Thompson....... Nobody is really screaming for their return...... I know I am NOT in any hurry to see them fight again......

And, Hasim Rahman is more shot than a target at a Police firing-line....

MR.BILL

9. MRBILL

Oct 9, 2008
    Going back to 1960.... I have "Liston vs. Ed Machen" on tape........ A slow-paced heavyweight bout that Liston wins, but fails to impress....... ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzz....... I hardly ever look that fight over.... Way too boring...... Peace...

MR.BILL

10. SuzieQ49

Sep 14, 2005
    Cus Damato turned down fights with bob baker in 1955 and Nino Valdez in 1958. He was afraid of sending patterson in the ring with them because he didnt feel patterson matched up well with skilled big heavyweights. Baker and Valdez did have skills and Power

11. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Furthermore:

While the 70s is a marvelous era, IT IS NOT THE ONLY ERA!!!!!

12. MRBILL

Oct 9, 2008
    The 70s and the 90s were the BEST era / days though.......

MR.BILL