Marciano's Body Frame could easily be Tua and Tyson

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by SuzieQ49, Apr 8, 2009.

1. choklab

choklab cocoon of horror Full Member

Dec 31, 2009
    I can't get the weights up on boxrec at the moment but I know from the last time I checked Norris packed a colossal amount of poundage on his frame that appeared to match many of Tuas big weights.

I can't remember the last time I checked, Perhaps I mentioned it on this very thread so many pages earlier?

The fascinating part though was that Orlin could drop back down for his next fight and balloon up again to order.

2. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    Wrong about what? You asked two questions.

3. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    Were you implying here Tua isn't fat ?

His body resembles an 8 month year old baby, covered in baby fat.

Yes, he had a decent right hand. Power in both hands.

4. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    I would not call him fat in that clip.
    This is fat!

This content is protected

5. Unforgiven

Nov 24, 2005
    Tua is definitely fat against Bell.
    Of course, there's always someone fatter !

6. choklab

Dec 31, 2009
    Oh sorry, yes I asked two questions. It does seem confusing. I should have explained it better.

You quoted the second question (Do we know for absolute certain that any recent champions were as good as Carnera) and you suggested the thread go would go "ultra surreal" without answering it.

To which I asked "tell me I am wrong then". As in "we don't know" for absolute certainty that Recent title holders were even as good as Carnera. So when I said "tell me I am Wrong" I am asking do you think recent title holders like Charles Martin, Parker were really any better than Carnera?

So what I would like to know (from anybody) is one, Does anybody think Rocky could not beat Carnera, and number two, (a second question) if so, do we even know for absolute certainty recent title holders, like say Charles Martin, are as good as Carnera was?

7. choklab

Dec 31, 2009
    I saw that fight, what did you think of it?

I don't think heavyweight has really evolved into a better spectacle since the guys became Super Sized.

The other guy was so fat he couldn't keep his own butt cheeks in his shorts!

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
  8. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    Well it was more about who was asking it...

I think Carnera was better than Martin and Parker. I also don't care that they held belts.

As to your angle, i've already said predicting a win for Marciano over one of the beltholders isn't unreasonable.

9. choklab

Dec 31, 2009
    Thank you.

10. Unforgiven

Nov 24, 2005
    I'm not sure he even did that much though. Not in his prime days anyway.
    Orlin Norris was one of those guys who was known to weigh in for heavyweight wearing clothes and chains, boots, track suit whatever. I remember seeing him weighing in for some fights wearing just those combat shorts, the ones with loads of pockets. God knows what he had in there.

I'm guessing he was lighter than advertised in a lot of heavyweight fights.
    Some little guys like to do that to lessen the bigger guy's perceived advantage/confidence.

11. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    I thought it was a disgrace. Joyce is 32 years old punches about as hard as my partner ,is slow predictable with a limited assortment of arm punches and his defence is porous. I was on a site week- end where posters were seriously suggesting he would beat Stiverne and Whyte right now.The only positive I saw with him was he has a decent engine on him.

12. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    I didn't know that ,that would explain a lot of his fluctuations on the scales.Good info, thanks!

13. Unforgiven

Nov 24, 2005
    This is a good example :

This content is protected

Listen to (Pacheco's?) comments right at the beginning of the video, commenting on Norris's "213".
    Who knows what he really weighed. I thought he deserved the win against Tucker too.

choklab and mcvey like this.
  14. Unforgiven

Nov 24, 2005
    Later on in his career though, I think Norris was just hog fat.

15. choklab

Dec 31, 2009
    But he finished his career at cruiser didn't he? I cannot get his weights up on boxrec anymore but I know I did once and there was some yoyo stuff going on.

When he dropped to cruiser initially I think he went as low as 183 after being 200lb plus for most of the previous 5 years.

After fighting Tucker at 213lb 8 weeks later he was 190lb in his next fight.

He weighed high for Nielsen and then went back to cruiser again. But there were other occasions wher he was up and down. Wish I could see those weights.

His last fight was against a cruiser.