Margaritos wraps

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Dannymita, Apr 4, 2021.

1. UltimateDestroyer

UltimateDestroyer Member Full Member

Nov 25, 2020
    The board in general doesn't seem to like Margarito but loves Trinidad, bit weird.

2. Maidanas Gun Tattoo

Maidanas Gun Tattoo Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 29, 2017
    So why can’t Margarito damage a face when he hits it over and over again?

3. Dementia Pugulistica

Dementia Pugulistica Well-Known Member Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    No opinion either way but everybody knows polygraphs are bull**** right? Pen and Teller have shown how to defeat the polygraph.

From the net:
    "Except in very rare (and often worrisome) circumstances, the results of a polygraph are not admissible in court in the United States. And the test's overall uselessness has been publicly revealed time and again: Green River Killer Gary Ridgway passed a lie detector test in 1987, delaying justice for almost two decades."

Just pucker you a-hole like a bunny's nose!

sasto likes this.
  4. Drew101

Drew101 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    The answer is "harder than the normal surface area of the glove would be if covered by a fresh knuckle wrap". For a volume puncher like Margo, that means that it could be easier to damage an opponent more quickly if enough contact was made. Just how much easier is difficult to quantify, especially since there's padding in the glove, but the padding in the glove isn't enough to mitigate the impact of a harder knuckle surface completely...especially as a fight progresses. If you're gonna cheat, it's better to cheat in a manner that's subtle and plays to a fighter's strengths.

Anyway, Margarito claimed no knowledge of the fact that it was being used; and "plausible deniability" allowed him to emerge with a lighter sentence, while his trainer's punishment was more harsh, iirc.

5. Dempsey Gibbons

Dempsey Gibbons Member Full Member

Jun 25, 2005
    Robert Garcia was filmed wrapping Tony's hands with a hard substance. LOL
    This content is protected

sasto and Dannymita like this.
  6. Dannymita

Dannymita Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 21, 2019
    Never heard that before..that's really interesting

Jpreisser likes this.
  7. WhataRock

WhataRock VIP Member Full Member

Jul 29, 2004
    They were harder than the tortillas at the back of my cupboard I opened in 2017.

8. 22JM

22JM Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 10, 2016
    Cheato Trinidad is on the same boat he never won a big fight after getting caught

9. 22JM

Sep 10, 2016
    Since that fight Pacquiao was never the same even tho he won

10. 22JM

Sep 10, 2016
    You are one of the last of the old school classic forum members, Sweet pea, Sweet Scientists, Sanchez fan, JMP and others are MIA wonder what happened to them

11. WhataRock

WhataRock VIP Member Full Member

Jul 29, 2004
    I often wonder mate.

I used to love that forum, it was a big part of my life for a little while. Learnt so much but I guess I lost interest and when I came back so many were gone.
    Some changed names my man and hung around for a while longer.

Sweet Pea I think was El Bujia
    Mantequilla turned into lora.

12. Ph33rknot

Ph33rknot Momento mori Full Member

Mar 5, 2012
  13. Jpreisser

Jpreisser Well-Known Member Full Member

Jan 29, 2015
    Thanks for listening. I followed up with Fischer personally last year about this. He directed me to a number of people who could confirm what he is saying here, namely Gabriel Montoya, who was apparently one of the few boxing writers who sat in on every commission hearing about Margarito's wraps. In a nutshell: the Margarito thing is overblown; it was little more than an old wrap.

Finkel, C.J. and Dannymita like this.
  14. thanosone

thanosone Love Your Brother Man Full Member

Sep 23, 2007
    He beat the living **** out of Cotto.

15. Serge

Serge Ginger Dracula Staff Member

Jul 21, 2009
    IJE ie. Iron Jaw Envy. Most non-Brits are packing glass in their mandible sections and a sizable percentage of them quite rightly feel deeply ashamed they were cursed with old lady punch resistance and instead of withdrawing from society and becoming recluses and directing their anger at their parents for passing down their defective genes to them they direct it towards iron-jawed fighters like Margarito instead.