Marvellous Marvin Hagler Vs James Toney at Middleweight/Super Middleweight?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by DS Phil Hunter, Mar 15, 2023.

Hagler Vs Toney?

1. Marvellous Marvin Hagler unequivocally.

25 vote(s)
    62.5%
  2. James Toney unanimously.

6 vote(s)
    15.0%
  3. Split Decision.

1 vote(s)
    2.5%
  4. Draw.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I think we're going to need a rematch and a rubbermatch to settle this.

7 vote(s)
    17.5%
  6. You what? this thread is inane how could you match these two!

1 vote(s)
    2.5%
  1. DS Phil Hunter

DS Phil Hunter Active Member Full Member

Jun 11, 2022
    Who wins this one. If James Toney is motivated , prepared and sharp against a disciplined and on form Marvin Hagler what's your evaluation?

Stevie G and Fergy like this.
  2. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    Hard fight for both. At middle, it's Hagler by dec. Been Intresting to have seen Marvin at the higher weight, thats a great division for Toney, so potentially Hagler s tougher ones.

DS Phil Hunter likes this.
  3. Journeyman92

Journeyman92 I’m become seeker of milk Full Member

Sep 22, 2021
    I think Toney would be one of the worst match ups you could give Hagler.

4. Showstopper97

Showstopper97 The Icon Full Member

Oct 7, 2020
    Hagler W via UD. Hagler outjabs, outworks & outfights Toney. Toney has his best moments early with his speed, defence & counter-punching, but doesn't have the stamina or work-rate to fight 3 minutes of a round - like Hagler will.

RockyJim, Salty Dog and Smokin Bert like this.
  5. Apollo GOAT

Apollo GOAT Member banned Full Member

Mar 11, 2023
    I just can't see Hagler getting in much work against a certified G like Toney.
    I think Toney would make it an ugly affair, would frustrate Hagler, and make him pay when he would miss.
    Toney would be far more aggressive as well, more so than Leonard was in their epic final battle.

I'm calling Toney w15 Hagler, with a few moments of Hagler excitement sprinkled in to keep the crowd engaged.
    But it would be too little too late.

Toney wins 9-6

Journeyman92 likes this.
  6. THE BLADE 2

THE BLADE 2 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 14, 2009
    At middleweight Hagler by close decision.At super middleweight, Toney by close decision.

surfinghb likes this.
  7. Melankomas

Melankomas Prime Jeffries would demolish a grizzly in 2 Full Member

Dec 18, 2022
  8. GoldenHulk

GoldenHulk Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 7, 2007
    Toney by decision. Watched the Hearns, Mugabi, and Leonard fights recently. Hagler was a tough SOB and he was so sharp against Hearns, against Mugabi, I think Mugabi was clearly the harder puncher but Hagler just wore him down. I heard after that fight that he was urinating blood, and he definitely left a big piece of himself in the ring that night. Against Leonard, he appeared ring rusty and tentative, against a guy who only had one fight in the past 5 years.

9. Themessiah

Themessiah El Jefe Full Member

Feb 1, 2021
    Could be one of those fights where Hagler throws lots of volume and Toney lands the cleaner shots. Close decision either way

10. Smokin Bert

Smokin Bert Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 8, 2013
    Hagler is just too good, too busy, too tough, and too determined to lose to Toney at Middleweight. At Super Middleweight Toney's chances are a little better. But, I might still make Marvin a slight favorite.

Levook, RockyJim, surfinghb and 3 others like this.
  11. slash

slash Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 15, 2012
    Hagler did NOT do that clowning around thing

RockyJim likes this.
  12. greynotsoold

greynotsoold Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Hagler is the better middleweight, especially if you are talking about Toney before the first McCallum fight; in my opinion that fight made him a much better fighter.
    The issue that Hagler would have is how right hand dependent he was. This is something that I have only noticed recently, after years of watching Hagler fight. Certainly his left hand was useful- he was a pro and worked hard at it- but it wasn't a fluent, natural weapon for him, especially as he aged. (The exception being the left hand he landed on Hearns just over a minute in that took Tommy's legs and effectively ended that fight.)

Pat M likes this.
  13. Boxing GOAT

Boxing GOAT Active Member Full Member

Apr 2, 2020
    I’d favor Hagler by unanimous decision at 160. Since he never fought at 168, I might have to go with Toney by split decision.

surfinghb likes this.
  14. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    Hagler would absolutely beat Toney. 9-6 i'd say best 160 for best 160. I don't think 8 pounds on toney would make enough difference either.

RockyJim, Flash24 and Clinton like this.
  15. Clinton

Clinton Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 22, 2009
    No knockout here, my friends.