Marvelous Marvin Hagler appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by dmt, Oct 3, 2007.

1. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    :good

2. Luigi1985

Luigi1985 Cane Corso Full Member

Feb 23, 2006

I simply meant, that now in 2007, when we look back on boxing history and how competive Duran could have been at 160 lbs even at a high age, we know that Hagler did everything right, and his win is a good one. That´s why I said to you you can´t compare Hopkins win over DLH (who lost normally against Sturm, who is worse than Barkley) with Hagler´s win over Duran...

3. Luigi1985

Feb 23, 2006

Informate completely before you post. You know why he fought Tiger Flowers that often? Becaue after his win against him, he was robbed (he floored him 2 or 3 times also), that´s why he got another chance. In their 3rd fight he was completely shot, I have fight reports from some of their fights, and after the 2nd Bogash was really completely shot, Loughran and Walker were both near peak, both had over 30 fights at that point, that´s not green. Bogash was at least three times better than a protected fighter than Nunn. Fighters like Yarosz, Gorilla Jones, Thil, Cerdan, Benvenuti, O´Dowd, etc. were also much better than Nunn, sorry to say that, but you seem to be very biased. And you criticize me because I probably don´t have Hopkins in my Top 10 ATG at MW, don´t forget, at 160 lbs there´s a deep and talented- rich era...

4. brownpimp88

brownpimp88 Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 26, 2007
    Who did walker and loughran beat prior to fighting bogash, o yeah nobody. Nunn was far more talented than all of those fighters you just listed, old school nuthuggery at its finest. Nunn accomplished more at middleweight than benvenuti did, god stop showing bias towards italian fighters. Not only is nunn more talented than nino, hes much bigger and faster, he would have kicked his ass with relative ease.

5. dmille

dmille We knew, about Tszyu, before you. Full Member

Aug 1, 2004
    It might be considered his best fight, but his best win?

Ever see Hagler's late stoppages of Monroe and Colbert? Or his crushing of Seales, Watts and Minter?

Middleweights have always defended against moving up welters, so that criticism doesn't fly against anyone.

Reasons to appreciate Hagler?

Hagler became the legit number one contender in 1977. He was being throughly out boxed by the unbeaten Mike Colbert, until he landed the bomb that broke his jaw.

It took him two years to get his shot. Valdez should have been losing his belt to Marvleous in early 78.

Corro, Minter and Antuofermo should have only been challengers who lost and the number of defense would have been closer to 18 instead of 12.

You can forget the revisionist history surrounding that draw with Antuofermo. Marvin was flat out robbed. 10-5 was being generous to Vito. Then he had to wait almost another year.

Many are talking about the Hearns fight. Let's not forget that Hagler's face was ripped to shreds. Tommy opened up 60+ fights worth of scar tissue in less than 3 minutes. The ref had already called up the doctor to take a look. Marvin was minutes from being stopped himself when he landed those three monster shots.

6. Luigi1985

Feb 23, 2006

What´s that for a ****? Shall I say Nunn is better than Benvenuti legacy-wise (and head-to-head) although it isn´t so, only because I´m Italian? I could also say you just say Nunn is better because you´re black...

nothing new on this forum, when somebody doesn´t know anymore how he can answer, he use this tactic ("You´re a hater!" or "You just say that because you´re from that country!", etc.), find something better, kiddie...

7. brownpimp88

Feb 26, 2007
    I'm not black and legacy wise nunn beat the better fighters too. All of ninos top wins are blown up welterweights, he never beat a legit middleweight like kalambay, barkely or tate, not even close. Nunn has more skill, hes bigger and hes taller, only way nino would win is by ko and stopping nunn isnt exactly that easy to do. Nunn would box his ears off and put a paintjob on him.

8. Luigi1985

Feb 23, 2006

:lol:

Benvenuti beat fighters like Mazzinghi, Griffith, Rodriguez, etc....

create a thread and ask who wins, some posters like you, Clay II, Groove, etc. pick perhaps Nunn, but the good posters will pick Nino...

9. brownpimp88

Feb 26, 2007
    2 blown up welterweights and a junior middleweight. Tell me, how would nino win this fight, hes the less talented fighter, hes the smaller fighter, hes the slower fighter.

10. Luigi1985

Feb 23, 2006

But Griffith for example won more at 160 lbs than Nunn ever, that alone should answer your stupid question...

11. brownpimp88

Feb 26, 2007
    How the **** is it a stupid question you moron. Tate, Roldan, Kalambay, Barkley, Curry, Starling. That is a much better title run that beating griffith, bums like scott and bethea, rodriguez and don fullmer. Like i said before, tell me how the **** nino would win the fight?

12. redrooster

redrooster Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 29, 2005
    Correction Robbi. That doesn't apply to me. I saw Hagler in sparring which I told you in the PM earlier. In the sparring he showed no life and something looked drastically wrong with him. He was matched up with the Weaver tripplets, three guys I never heard of wo were used to prepare Hagler for the speedy opponent. and Hagler couldn't cope with the speed of the tripplets so what does that tell you? Is it any wonder why leonard did as well as he did? And since I am wise to what happend, I hesitate to put leonard at the top as so many people want me to do-which I won't.

13. dmille

Aug 1, 2004
    Are you really calling former world welterweight champion Luis Rodriguez, a bum?

14. brownpimp88

Feb 26, 2007
    no i called scott and betha bums. Nunn has a better resume than benventui anyways. When nunn was champ, he was top 5 p4p. Nino was never at any point in his career given that type of praise becuase he was never that great and he isnt an ATG.

15. dmille

Aug 1, 2004
    You are making two separate points here.

One is that IYO Nino Benvenuti was not an ATG. I agree.

The other is that IYO Michael Nunn is one of the top 10 middleweights of all-time. I disagree. IMO Nunn is not even one of the top 25.

Ability is only part of the quotient. Heart and chin count too.

Nunn fought one proven great fighter. He was knocked out.