Marvin Hagler vs Gennady Golovkin who'd win?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by SmokinJoe10, Jul 17, 2015.

1. Thread Stealer

Thread Stealer VIP Member Full Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Most likely.

People always commenting in mythical matchups with Hagler saying stuff like "Hagler in a war", "it'll be a brutal war", "Hagler walks thru him".

Hagler had 64 pro fights before 1985, it might be a good idea to actually watch some of them to see how he actually fought.

2. Salty Dog

Salty Dog My name is Buck and I'm here to... Full Member

Sep 5, 2008
    And so that makes GGG comparable to Hagler? 'Cause he beat....

Martin Murray?

:rofl

3. BCS8

BCS8 VIP Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    I really like Golovkin and think that he is the real deal ... but I also like Hagler.

It's a bit difficult to compare because GGG doesn't have the few signature wins that would push him to his limits and show us what he is really capable of. At the moment he's cruising on autopilot, crushing whoever is thrown under the wheels.

Hagler on the other hand was pushed in a lot of his fights and we have seen as a result what he is capable of - which is a heck of a lot.

Honestly, going only by what we have seen from GGG so far, I think the likely outcome is a Hagler points win. Golovkin has a so-far impenetrable beard, so I don't think Hagler is going to knock him out. But I do think that Hagler may well be able to take Golovkin's best shot and keep fighting. He proved to be a powerful infighter, smashing guys up with short powerful shots, and working the body over as well. Golovkin doesn't seem to fight so well off the back foot and seems to have trouble (relatively speaking, that is) with a crowding infighter. Imho the fight would be Hagler's to lose. If he tried to outbox Gennady at range he would lose. Golovkin is a very skilled, intelligent fighter who can play games with footwork and range that few others can. If the Marvellous One crowded him and bust him up close, I think he would win.

My 2c, for what its worth.

Theon likes this.
  4. slender4

slender4 Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Apr 26, 2006
    Hagler wins 3/5. But it's a great fight, I like GGG's chances against Hagler over others.

Robinson: Too talented
    Monzon: To big, rangy
    Jones: Too good.
    I think GGG would probably beat Toney more often than not and Hopkins 50% of the time.

5. BCS8

Aug 21, 2012
    If GGG had crushing wins over folks like Ward, Froch, Cotto and Canelo, then I'd start to say that I'd favour him over Hagler. At the moment, I would call most of Golovkin's resume "solid but not spectacular". It's the manner in which he wins that impresses. Maybe he ought to take Popkins up on that offer?

Salty Dog likes this.
  6. Warwick Hunt

Warwick Hunt Active Member Full Member

Aug 27, 2014
    Great post,but I disagree that Hagler couldn't beat him at range. Hagler was a chameleon of a fighter, he could fight equally as good on the outside as at close quarters,in fact i'd go as far as saying Hagler at heart was a boxer more than a fighter,and he was a great switch hitter which he did seamlessly.
    He would go into the trenches if he had to but he largely liked to keep control from the outside or mid range.

Salty Dog likes this.
  7. BCS8

Aug 21, 2012
    I agree that Hagler could fight well from a distance, but looking at Gennady, he seems to specialize in this. Marvin would, imho, do better from close quarters, where GGG won't be able to load up on his punches so much. Hagler took Mugabi apart close up, not to mention Hearns. Golovkin on the other hand seemed to struggle a bit against Ouma inside - although many say that Golovkin was sick or jet-lagged for that one.

8. victor879

victor879 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Dec 1, 2007

:hey

9. Thread Stealer

Thread Stealer VIP Member Full Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Correct..Hagler was first and foremost a boxer who broke guys down methodically at long and mid-range. Although he wasn't especially tall at 5'8, 5'9, he had very long arms, an ATG jab, and a wingspan of 74".

He had to close the distance on Hearns since Hearns was so tall, rangy, difficult to outbox from the outside, and was most dangerous with his right hand when he had distance so he could get leverage on it. I think it's perhaps the best display ever of a fighter switching from his usual style, because Hagler didn't just fight in a different style against anyone, but he did it against a fighter the caliber of Tommy Hearns.

10. tinman

tinman VIP Member Full Member

Feb 25, 2015
    Marvin Hagler is the worst possible style matchup for Golovkin. Hagler's chin won't crack under the pressure of GGG's bombs.

And Hagler's stamina and skill would be too much for GGG.

11. glovesofcrimson

glovesofcrimson Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 14, 2013
    Pretty much agree with this.

BCS8 likes this.
  12. boxing_master

boxing_master VIP Member banned

Jul 21, 2013
  13. timeout

timeout Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 15, 2010
    GGG too big too strong

14. OC IRISHMAN

OC IRISHMAN Member Full Member

Apr 25, 2014
    Hagler would steadily pound for five rounds GGG's guts till he was breathing heavily . Then he would would catch GGG with his terrible defense and " Out goes the lights " . GGG would loose all his glittery hype as his pumpkin head hit the canvas. Cotto, Alvarez, Mosley, Froch and Ward can do it also but are not willing to risk their records.

15. mirkofilipovic

mirkofilipovic ESB Management Full Member

Jan 7, 2014
    :nut

:lol: