Marvin Hagler vs Iran Barkely

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by OP_TheJawBreaker, Sep 6, 2021.

1. young griffo

young griffo Boxing Addict Full Member

May 18, 2006
    As night follows day.

Hagler would break down and beat up the always courageous Barkley. Hagler had solid power to go with the huge skill disparity and Iran would eventually wilt in the mid to late rounds.

I admire Iran but he’s on a hiding to nothing against as complete a fighter as it gets in Marvellous Marvin. MMH was a beast!

2. mr. magoo

mr. magoo VIP Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    Probably a short fight with Hagler winning, but also a fun slug fest while it lasts

Fergy and Richard M Murrieta like this.
  3. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
  4. THE BLADE 2

THE BLADE 2 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 14, 2009
    I think it is more of a case of Hagler breaking him down over a number of rounds. Better technique. Do not underestimate Iran, he has the heart and chin to hang in there.

5. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    Would have being a good fight, a real war. Barkley would give Marvin a lot tougher fight that some imagine.
    We know what Hagler liked to do, get stuck in, he'd love this fight and respect Iran.
    Both men would show signs of the battle and both would be shaken up.
    By around the tenth, Iran is looking the worst for wear and finally gets stopped, due to injury s.

6. Conteh'sLeft

Conteh'sLeft Active Member Full Member

May 23, 2021
    Barkley would see the final bell imo but his face would be grotesquely swollen by the end of the ordeal, the skill gap between the two is high and Barkley can't bridge it by being the stronger man .

Richard M Murrieta likes this.
  7. PernellSweetPea

PernellSweetPea Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Marvin is all bad for Barkley.. He would almost love the fight with Barkley. He would have an open target who cuts up, and yet I think Marvin's reach is just as long yet he is shorter. I think Marvin wins by TKO in about 8 or 9

8. Jel

Jel Obsessive list maker Full Member

Oct 20, 2017
    It would never work. Hagler was too disciplined to fall for the old ref-distracts-fighter-with-Belgian-chocolates routine. Now, Duran on the other hand...

9. Titan1

Titan1 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 18, 2004
    Hagler by 5th round TKO. 2 different levels in play here.

10. Bill1234

Bill1234 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Terrible matchup for Barkley. Hagler was the much better fighter and wouldn’t have much difficulty landing his hard punches while minimizing Barkley’s attacks. Fight would probably be stopped between 9 and 12

LoadedGlove likes this.
  11. Flash24

Flash24 Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 22, 2015
    Barkley is just the type of fighter Hagler shined against and feasted on.
    A big strong brawler, with limited ability to change from what he did best.
    If a natural light/ welterweight who was far past his best years could school Barkley like Duran did, Hagler totally Destructs and destroys him . This fight would resemble Haglers destructions of Sibson, Obejeimas, or Hamsho.
    Hagler beats the hell out of Barkley, fights over in 9rds or less.

LoadedGlove and JohnThomas1 like this.
  12. LoadedGlove

LoadedGlove Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 6, 2019
    Bad fight for Barkley. I really don't see how he has a hope. Brave and tough but dreadfully ragged. Flinging wild hooks with his chin up in the air.
    Hagler could do a Nigel Benn here.

13. Dynamicpuncher

Dynamicpuncher Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 14, 2022
    I know this may sound crazy, but i don't think Barkley would necessarily stand toe to toe with Hagler like some people believe. Barkley at times actually had underrated boxing skills, he boxed primarily on the outside vs Wilford Scypion and boxed well.

I think Barkley may actually do the same vs Hagler, it might not be the toe the toe slugfest people think. Although at times Barkley would get lured into trading punches with Hagler, because that's just Barkley's nature.

Overall i see Hagler eventually breaking Barkley down though, maybe in 9 or 10 rounds ? But Barkley may have some success early on.

14. Matt Bargas

Matt Bargas Member Full Member

Mar 17, 2018
    Well, as Clubber Lang would say, "Barkley is taylor-made for me"
    I agree that it would be a war. Barkley though is unable to hurt Hagler, and let's not forget that Barkley was knocked down by an aging Duran.
    After several grueling rounds, Hagler wins by TKO.

15. TBooze

TBooze Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 22, 2006
    Barkley in the corner instead of Leonard in April 87, I see a competitive fight for eight rounds until facial damage causes The Blade problems, but sheer heart gets him to the final bell and a unanimous points defeat.