Marvin Hagler vs Roy Jones, Jr @ 160

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by InMemoryofJakeLamotta, Mar 18, 2020.

Who wins and how

1. Hagler KO

25.7%
  2. Hagler TKO

4.3%
  3. Hagler UD

8.6%
  4. Hagler SD

5.7%
  5. Draw

2.9%
  6. Jones KO

1.4%
  7. Jones TKO

2.9%
  8. Jones UD

41.4%
  9. Jones SD

7.1%
  1. InMemoryofJakeLamotta

InMemoryofJakeLamotta I have defeated the great Seamus Full Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I don't think that Hagler would haggle with Roy Jones but would Jones speed and reflexes be too much??

ikrasevic and Richard M Murrieta like this.
  2. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    Hagler had better fundamentals and his jab and reach would be a problem for Roy, I feel Hagler was better than Roy and would stop him.

3. InMemoryofJakeLamotta

InMemoryofJakeLamotta I have defeated the great Seamus Full Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Some feel that Roy was nigh unbeatable at 160

4. THE BLADE 2

THE BLADE 2 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 14, 2009
  5. THE BLADE 2

THE BLADE 2 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 14, 2009
    To me Roy peaked ta 168

6. Charlietf

Charlietf Well-Known Member Full Member

Feb 25, 2020
    Jones would have to make the perfect fight to outwork hagler but if marvin lands on the chin good night

7. The Morlocks

The Morlocks Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Some idiots felt the same way about Hillary Clinton in 2016. How did that work out for them?

8. DavidBarnes

DavidBarnes Member banned Full Member

Dec 8, 2019
  9. Saad54

Saad54 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Dec 10, 2014
    Jones UD

Hagler was a bad ass but educated movement was his achilees heel.

10. Flash24

Flash24 Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 22, 2015
    12 rds I'll lean slightly to Jones Jr. But 15rds, something Jones never did, but we know Hagler could do, Hagler all day.
    Prime vs prime Jones Jr was a phenomenal athlete disguised as a boxer. Where Hagler was a child of hard training, hard work, Jones was a gifted athlete with dedication.
    Hagler would need to go in with "WAR" in his head as he did with Hearns , that turned out to be his best way to win. He didn't let Hearns get his jab going, didn't get lulled to sleep walking as he did with Duran and Leonard.
    Hagler had the tools to beat convincingly a fighter like Jones Jr. He was a great combination puncher, hit hard enough, had the foot speed and counter ability to keep Jones honest plus, he had a great chin.
    I can see Jones winning a 12 rd fight, it would be difficult for Hagler to get on track in time , and as I noted earlier he could be lulled to thinking to much "Sleep walking ". Especially if his opponent isn't coming at him .
    In a 15rd fight, or if Hagler came out in attack mode, realizing he can't let Jones get comfortable, Make Jones do what we never saw him do in his prime, fight through serious adversity, I see Hagler stopping Jones whithin 10rds. I know Hagler have the ability to press Jones unlike ANYONE Jones faced.
    And judging by what happened to him after he slowed a little, Jones wouldn't be able to stand that onslaught. Even in his prime.

11. Jamal Perkins

Jamal Perkins Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 19, 2012
    Haglers reflexes at 160 in his prime were pretty exceptional i dont think jones has a huge edge.haglers reach was extraordinary his slashing sharp punching would imo nullify jones speed...a 10th rd ko

Silly billy, Oddone, RockyJim and 4 others like this.
  12. blackfella96

blackfella96 Active Member Full Member

Jul 10, 2019
    I'd have to go with Jones, too much of a slick mover, with decent power. Hagler can take a punch but he'd have to respect the power and be smart. I see a competitive fight though so RJJ by SD or MD

13. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    I disagree, Hagler was something else, Jones opposition wan`t that great.

14. greynotsoold

greynotsoold Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 17, 2011
    The Roy Jones that fought Hopkins is not beating Marvin Hagler.

15. Richard M Murrieta

Richard M Murrieta Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 16, 2019
    Marvelous Marvin Hagler was not going to give u his World Middleweight Title to anyone without a fight, that includes such a gifted athlete like Roy Jones Jr. Hagler in the beginning would be out slicked by Roy, but as this 15 rounder goes on, Marvelous at the direction of the Petronelli's, his corner, begins to cut off the ring, forcing Jones into some fiery exchanges. Hagler's strong lefts would cause Jones some discomfort to his fight plan. Marvin also begins to use his stiff right jab forcing Roy into retreat mode, causing fears of further exchanges with Hagler, thus causing the appointed boxing officials to award Hagler the rounds based on effective aggressiveness. Hagler is awarded a close but unanimous decision to retain his title. This prime Marvelous Marvin, not April 6 1987, when Hagler was defeated by Sugar Ray Leonard for the WBC World Middleweight Title by split decision.