Marvin Hagler Vs Dick Tiger

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Havoctka, Dec 29, 2016.

1. crixus85

crixus85 Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 18, 2014
    Africa's greatest was nearly 40 when he had his only inside the distance loss to Foster as well as being at least 7" shorter. A year later he beat undisputed world champion, Nino Benvenuti.
    Like Hagler, he had to wait awhile before getting his chance at the title. unlike Marvin, he won a second undisputed world title at an advanced age. He lost fights after he emigrated to the UK, many of them due to adjusting to his new life in 50's Britain.
    Many of his subsequent losses in America were controversial, but he fought the very best in a great era.
    After 4 fights with the great Giardello , it was 2 apiece, a likely outcome of a similar series with Hagler.
    This is mostly what I said in a similar thread within the last year.
    How about a great pairing between Tiger v John Mugabi?

2. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    Tiger v the Beast?
    Could be a real war, don't think we see past the sixth here. And Mugabi for all his fault s could really hit, so Tiger s going to maybe shaken. I've got him stopping Mugabi in a mini classic.

3. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Hagler would box moving laterally like he done against Sibson and stick the jab out to build points imo.

So I think Tiger would draw Hagler inside and make a real war out of it, but I think Hagler's boxing in-between exchanges wins more rounds.
    So I'm going Hagler on points, quite comfortably.

Hagler UD15, 10-5.

roughdiamond likes this.
  4. kjillomene2029

kjillomene2029 New Member banned Full Member

Mar 10, 2023
    Dick Tiger would definitely pressure Hagler and make him very uncomfortable, he was a pretty large 160-pounder and fought better Middleweight opposition than Hagler did. He beat Nino Benvenuti (better than any natural MW Hagler fought) when he was 40 years old, washed-up and probably suffering symptoms of his cancer. If Hagler wants to win this fight he's going to have to get on his bike and box for 15 rounds like Emile Griffith and Joey Giardello did, he's not going to be able to out-tough Tiger. I lean 55-45 towards Tiger.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2023
    Richard M Murrieta likes this.