Marvin Haler Vs Gennnady Golvkin Who would win?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Austinboxing, Jul 13, 2021.

1. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    Hagler wins a unanimous and drops him along the way.

RockyJim likes this.
  2. Blaxx

Blaxx Member Full Member

Feb 8, 2018
    Hagler by UD as has been said.
    I think there's some similarities in their styles with Hagler just being a bit better in everything, being able to switch stances and also the more proven fighter of the two.

RockyJim likes this.
  3. Flash24

Flash24 Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 22, 2015
    He wouldn't beat Hagler prime vs prime. I think he realized that . Retired.

Roughhouse likes this.
  4. Jel

Jel Obsessive list maker Full Member

Oct 20, 2017
    Hagler wins - better in almost every department. Size won't matter here.

Roughhouse and George Crowcroft like this.
  5. Cobra33

Cobra33 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 2, 2006
    People forget but Hagler was a very good boxer in his prime who could shift back and forth from southpaw to Orthodox.
    Think Hagler stops him late.

6. BCS8

BCS8 VIP Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Golovkin is significantly bigger than Hagler. This isn't an apples to oranges comparison.

That said they are quite similar fighters in many ways, both basing their game of a great jab and being able to fight close or at a distance. Honestly for me it's a tossup. Hagler has a lot of tricks up his sleeve and so does Golovkin. Their chins are both A++. I think GGG is more powerful, but Hagler is faster. If Hagler can cope with Golovkin's jab then he might outbox GGG. If he can't then he'd have to turn it into a brawl which might well favour the more powerful Khazak.

In my opinion it would be even better than GGG/Canelo which were two epic fights in their own right.

Jackman65 and Bumnard_Hopkins like this.
  7. Reinhardt

Reinhardt Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 4, 2016
    Stunning isn't it? People seem to think Hagler fought every fight like he did Tommy Hearns. Marvin pumped that stunning right jab into his opponents face to set up combinations. He had great footwork , strength, and knew how to create punching distance. Hagler's jab would dominate this fight and if Gennady got inside Marvin is I believe the stronger man. GGG is a very good fighter but he's not slick enough to avoid Marvin's punches. I think it goes the distance with Golovkin's face showing extreme wear and tear after 15 rounds. Score it 145 - 141

joe brown and Roughhouse like this.
  8. Bumnard_Hopkins

Bumnard_Hopkins Burger King banned Full Member

Jul 13, 2021
    Hagler would be an average to small junior middleweight today. Hell, there are big welterweights the size of Hagler.

Golovkin would have size and power over Hagler. Hagler could UD him but GGG will not be stopped.

Jackman65 and BCS8 like this.
  9. robert ungurean

robert ungurean Богдан Philadelphia Full Member

Jun 9, 2007
    Hagler in a hard earned UD. Tough fight

Jackstraw likes this.
  10. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Bye for now! banned Full Member

Oct 12, 2020
    No, no, no.

BCS8 likes this.
  11. Jel

Jel Obsessive list maker Full Member

Oct 20, 2017
    Yeah, if people have only ever seen Hagler's fight with Tommy Hearns then they would have a completely misguided view of his fighting style. Hagler doesn't need to get into an inside battle with Golovkin. I'd actually say that the two areas that Marvin wouldn't have an obvious advantage are strength and chin (not that Hagler didn't have a great chin - he had one of the best ever - but Golovkin has a really strong one himself). But he does have an obvious edge in terms of his all-round boxing ability so he'd keep this fight on the outside. He still has the power to discourage Golovkin from just wading in so I think he could keep him honest whenever Golovkin managed to close distance. I think 145-140 or 141 sounds about right. A clear, it not completely comfortable, win for Hagler.

Reinhardt likes this.
  12. Oddone

Oddone Bermane Stiverne's life coach. Full Member

Aug 18, 2019
    Nothing. It’s always had autistics.

Roughhouse likes this.
  13. Oddone

Oddone Bermane Stiverne's life coach. Full Member

Aug 18, 2019
    Haglers leaping southpaw jab would land on GGG all night but I don’t think either man gets stopped.
    Hagler UD 115-113

Jel likes this.
  14. Roughhouse

Roughhouse Active Member Full Member

Sep 15, 2012
    This made my morning. Owe you for this one.

Oddone likes this.
  15. Bulldog24

Bulldog24 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 2, 2013
    GGG is far too big for Hagler. It’s unfair.

BCS8 likes this.