Marvin Johnson vs Dwight Muammad Qawi

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Titan1, Jun 28, 2007.

1. Titan1

Titan1 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 18, 2004
    In this war, who survives?

2. Smith

Smith Monzon-like Full Member

Mar 8, 2007
    Qawi, its gotta be, man i loved that guy

3. Sonny Carson

Sonny Carson Well-Known Member Full Member

Jan 7, 2007
    Quawi by 10th round KO.

4. Pat_Lowe

Pat_Lowe Active Member Full Member

Feb 26, 2006
    Marvin Johnsons lack of defence would cost him. He Gets knocked out here sometime in the middle rounds. His offence could be neutralised by Qawi's excellent defence and then countered

5. salsanchezfan

salsanchezfan Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 22, 2004
    As much as I would root for Marvin, Qawi wins this every time.

6. AREA 53

AREA 53 Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 10, 2006
    Marvin did not take it too well when Mustafa Muhummed was bending his ribs, The Camden Buzzsaw would Fillet Marvin, Marvin may of caught a Shpworn Galindez with a Big Shot, with dramatic effect, but Qawi is much more compact, his Dip-Slip-An-Rip on the inside would i feel leave Marvin Checkmated. exciting, but when i recall how Qwai ripped apart Jerry the Bull Martin, I think Marvin got little hope here and it may be a bit brutal before the end.

7. robert ungurean

robert ungurean Богдан Philadelphia Full Member

Jun 9, 2007
    Qawi grinds Johnson down in about 8.

8. la-califa

la-califa Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 12, 2007
    Marvin's southpaw style would score points & buy time, but Qawi's style is too hard to overcome, he goes into that crouch, then gets inside & delivers damaging punches. Johnson's straight punches would go over the top of Qawi's head & Quawi would grind him down. Ninth or tenth round stoppage. ( That far because Johnson was all heart).

9. Longhhorn71

Longhhorn71 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Good post & analyses my boxing friends.

Wow....the seventies & early 80's...the Golden age of Lightheavyweights.
    Watching them on Saturdays for free on CBS Spectacular & Wide World of Sports here in the States.

Bob Foster, Saad Muhammed, Marvin Johnson, Eddie Gregory, Mike Quarry, Yaqui Lopez, Mike Rossman, John Conteh, Victor Gallindez, Jorge Ahumada,
    Chris Finnegan, Michael Spinks, Leslie Stewart, Dwight Qawi, etc. just to name a few.

In fact, Bob Foster said last nite on ESPN FNF that he always want to fight Spinks.

The 2 wars between Johnson & Saad were classics.

But, Qawi, at his prime would beat them both, most of the time, with his style and ruggedness.

I was most proud of Marvin Johnson because I watched him on USA boxing for several fights at an advanced age to come back and beat Leslie Stewart (I believe it was) to regain a title for the 3rd time.

10. Sardu

Sardu RIP Mr. Bun: 2007-2012 Full Member

Jan 22, 2008
    Great matchup! In a vicious fight I see Qawi systematically taking Johnson apart.

Qawi KO 10 Johnson

11. WhataRock

WhataRock VIP Member Full Member

Jul 29, 2004
    I actually think Marvin's fast starts could discourage Qawi enough early for this fight to go deep into the late rounds.

But its there I see Dwight taking over and stopping Johnson quite brutally.

12. frankenfrank

frankenfrank Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 18, 2009
    +1