Matchroom Boxing leaving Sky?

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by BXNG101, Apr 8, 2021.

1. Scissors

Scissors Posts are sponsored by Matchroom Full Member

Feb 11, 2018
    I think Eddie will retain Sky PPV for some fights/fighters.

2. syldave

syldave Member Full Member

Apr 11, 2011
    I think that will all depend on how much money DAZN are prepared to throw at Joshua in particular, remember they are worldwide they do not have to balance the books just on U.K. subscriptions.

3. Bob Flaps

Bob Flaps Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 30, 2019
    I think people need to read between the lines on things Hearn has been saying. He's been clear that Matchroom Media would be producing the shows from now on, with content all week rather than just fight nights. It's fair to say that Sky maybe gave him a platform to test this stuff out, with social media shows, Gloves Are Off, etc, and there's bound to be a lot more. The "Born Fighter" stuff in the lead-up to DAZN shows is decent too.

It's all about retention for streaming companies and the more content you throw at it, the more likely they'll just get into the habit of paying and watching something each day / week / month. Sky built its football model the same way 30 years ago, with games on Sunday and Monday and other content the rest of the week - Goals on Sunday, Boot Room, Soccer AM, Hold the Back Page, etc. Something to watch between the actual events.

Assume Hearn will get a bit more choosy what he says to the YouTube channels (clearly he's saying the same thing to all of them this week about AJ+Fury, but you can see the pecking order in who he spoke to first) - and from that point on he and DAZN are in a content production partnership rather than focusing solely on fights. Anyone watching Matchroom's model with minority sports for the last 10-15 years will see the same pattern.

im sparticus likes this.
  4. Trafford

Trafford Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 29, 2018
    Franks just let slip that Sky are going to be appointing John Wischhusen to essentially fill the Eddie Hearn role and manage their boxing content. They will not have a promotional tie and will essentially work with any promoter to bring in the boxing content.

This content is protected

5. granth

granth Well-Known Member Full Member

Nov 12, 2010
    Well there goes my Sky sub. 5 year deal with DAZN. All UK Shows on DAZN.

6. Riordo

Riordo New Member Full Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Now it's official just watch DAZN try and charge us £4 a month.
    If they do that's over a 100% increase.
    Makes you think.

granth likes this.
  7. granth

granth Well-Known Member Full Member

Nov 12, 2010
    Better value than a Sky sports sub tbh. Compare Sky today to 5 or 10 years back. Less top premier league matches, no European football, boxing future questionable (don't see how they can fill the Matchroom gap given the only viable alternative has a BT deal).

Gatekeeper likes this.
  8. Scissors

Scissors Posts are sponsored by Matchroom Full Member

Feb 11, 2018

With this much money there’s no excuse to not put on good shows.

hopefully it goes well.

9. bladesman

bladesman Active Member Full Member

May 31, 2015
    Won't be leaving sky. I watch it for football, cricket, golf and boxing and share sub with F1 fans. Now matchroom is gone someone will eventually replace the boxing portion

This is bad news for the majority of boxing fans. Sure it's £1.99 for the fight camp fights but they are not hiding the price goes up. If you were a diehard boxing fan and still want to keep sky for football or anything else you are paying more. Further to that you won't get a new Anthony Joshua household name from a boxing only platform

ButeTheBeast and DramaShow like this.
  10. TBC-ASAP

TBC-ASAP Boxing Junkie Full Member

Sep 7, 2017
    Great for boxing fans. But I just don't see how the numbers will add up. Subs surely will need to be close to a tenner?

Which i would prefer to pay than Sky subs.

The them creating all narrative concerns me a little. Go to be like North Korean production

11. syldave

syldave Member Full Member

Apr 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2021
  12. TBC-ASAP

Sep 7, 2017

Dancoyr likes this.
  13. Trafford

Trafford Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 29, 2018
    The subs will be going up. They will wait until they have enough subs that the number make sense. My guess is after AJ vs Usyk. AJ will sign a deal with DAZN and the sub will go up similar to the Canelo deal in US.

The thing with DAZN that people keep missing is that they are looking for global subscriber numbers. They will sign AJ and screen his fights globally to recoup the costs.

syldave likes this.
  14. bladesman

bladesman Active Member Full Member

May 31, 2015
    Outside of the UK is there really a gigantic boxing market out there? The us fanbase already factored into previous deals so is there enough to replace 700k+ at £25+ for a ppv Joshua card?

15. TBC-ASAP

Sep 7, 2017
    But AJs fights have already been on DAZN global? So wouldn't they have picked up the amount of subs from abroad already