Matchroom Spain

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by rezzer, Feb 12, 2019.

1. PaddyGarcia

PaddyGarcia Trivial Annoyance Gold Medalist Full Member

Feb 13, 2014
    I'm in Spain in April, wonder if their talent scouts will tap me up when I'm shadow boxing around Valencia and making Ms Paddy Garcia throw out a lazy jab across the table for me to slip

2. dryzer

dryzer Active Member Full Member

Sep 12, 2017
    how can he fill all these shows? the quality must be absolutely diabolical on most of them.

Brixton Bomber likes this.
  3. BigStiffIdiot

BigStiffIdiot Safer than Adam Smith's laptop password. Full Member

Sep 4, 2018
    I think this DAZN deal is going to dilute the good work he has done - the UK shows will become awful and he will be setting our fighters up to fight in the US. The glory of days the UK boxing scene will be no more. We had 8 fighters lose world titles last year or maybe more, this number will increase.

4. Security Service

Security Service New Member banned Full Member

Jan 12, 2019
    I’ve got a feeling once old Barry is in his Grave, Eddie will try and sell the Company. He was talking about it on a IFL Interview recently.

Still can’t believe that Eddie said Matchroom Sport is
    worth 1Billion.
    I see no future for Matchroom after AJ. Eddie Hearn dosen’t even have a natural replacement. And please don’t say Frank Smith..

Maybe he’s just positioning the company and laying the foundations for a sell off.

5. Trafford

Trafford Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 29, 2018
    They were trading very profitably prior to AJ and have grown their business into multiple territories. If there have lucrative TV deaks in all of these markets and DAZN are happy with cards featuring local fighters. Matchroom could easily be worth 1 Billion if the UFC was worth 4 billion, then they are certainly heading in th right direction.

6. BXNG101

BXNG101 Active Member Full Member

Jun 9, 2018
    I honestly think Eddie doesnt realise what he's letting himself in for here.

I think he underestimates the role of Sky Sports in the success of Matchroom. Of course he has had his role to play but without a well oiled machine like Sky Sports, you cannot appeal to the masses. Just like he is finding out in the states

He talks about how Matchroom will provide Danny Jacobs a platform to show his backstory to the world and that's all he needs to become a huge star, is just nonsense. He's just as popular as he was without Eddie. ie not very well known. The problem Eddie is having is he doesnt have Fox, or ESPN to push his fighters on and that's where he's at a disadvantage.

Also these Matchroom subsidaries he's opening up in every big european country wont last. He just hasn't got the tools/resources over there required to make the shows a success

I suggest he focuses back on the UK and understand that his bread is buttered on this side of the pond.

7. Jurgen

Jurgen Pay Per Pudding Advisor banned Full Member

Sep 30, 2016
    Expensive Anchor butter at that mate

BXNG101 likes this.
  8. AlFrancis

AlFrancis Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 25, 2008
    I don't see fighters losing titles as a problem. "World" titles are there to be lost to someone better than you. They've got no value if you can't defend them against anyone decent.

dryzer likes this.
  9. Security Service

Security Service New Member banned Full Member

Jan 12, 2019
    Hearn’s main asset is Joshua. Their won’t be another PPV Fighter like Joshua who does 1M+ Every fight. The PPV Days are going to come to an end in the UK once AJ is done.

Sky Sports came back into Boxing because of Joshua and London 2012. Dont believe the Adam Smith Propoganda of Sky have been backing Boxing for 25 Years. They haven’t...

They wait for a Potential PPV Pretty Boy (Khan, Haye, Hatton, Joshua) and then start fully investing.

Just like in the past, once the damage is done from all these PPV’s. They get out of the sport faster than Usain Bolt and wait patiently until a Pretty Boy comes up

stittyb likes this.
  10. dryzer

dryzer Active Member Full Member

Sep 12, 2017
    That's the first and likely only time I'll ever see Hatton called a pretty boy

11. BigStiffIdiot

BigStiffIdiot Safer than Adam Smith's laptop password. Full Member

Sep 4, 2018
    No but I do see it a problem but when the main fights in the UK are being billed as PPV when in reality it is just a UK fighter in a mismatch against an elite level athlete, it becomes an issue.

12. AlFrancis

AlFrancis Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Well I'd agree with that about the ppv. If we're talking about our "world" champions though losing to elite level fighters it makes a mockery of being a world title claimant.

BigStiffIdiot likes this.
  13. Stand by soldier F

Stand by soldier F New Member Full Member

May 25, 2019
    Anybody heard news of first Matchroom show in Spain? When? Where? whos on the card?

14. Tyson Furry

Tyson Furry Member Full Member

Nov 27, 2017
    Just come back from my hols in Torremolinos - I think I saw it scheduled for next Tuesday, just after the Cher tribute act.

Jurgen likes this.
  15. Jurgen

Jurgen Pay Per Pudding Advisor banned Full Member

Sep 30, 2016
    The first card is from the City of Pamplona in the El Monumental Bull Fighting Arena on 1 April 2020

Headlining this El Classico PPV card is El Matador complete with Black Moustache v Derek Chisora