Matchroom to move to DAZN from SKY for UK fights in historic 5 year deal

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by granth, Jun 3, 2021.

1. gmurphy

gmurphy Land of the corrupt, home of the robbery! banned Full Member

Oct 30, 2013
    agreed, there isnt much football i want to watch but if i do i just go next door to the pub.
    sky subscriptions are outdated, over priced and no longer have the monopoly they used to have

alangjk likes this.
  2. senpai

senpai Member Full Member

May 18, 2021
    Same

also undercards are very bad

N17 likes this.
  3. granth

granth Well-Known Member Full Member

Nov 12, 2010
    Nowadays if there's a big event or match on, you can just buy a day or week NowTV pass. I will be cancelling my Sky subscription next time my contract comes around as there's literally no reason for me to keep it.

alangjk likes this.
  4. Puroresu_Fan

Puroresu_Fan Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 6, 2016
    Entitled? Again to reiterate a fighter being on ppv isn't no guarantee. Benn may feel his now a ppv fighter and what would determine that would be the numbers a ppv generates. The consumer isn't forced to buy any ppv.

Not forgetting the network would be the ones who decide if they think Benn was going to PPV. They would look at his numbers on a fight night among other things.

Moot point now anyway as Benn will be on DAZN and likely his purses will be going up.

5. Puroresu_Fan

Apr 6, 2016
    They got Golden Boy and then Canelo got out of the contract. For Canelo it's freelance which probably suits both as DAZN can see the opponent fight by fight and then work out what they feel it would be worth rather than multi fight deal as original guaranteeing huge amounts no matter the opponent.

AJ I don't think is looking for a fight by fight deal. He already has a great deal with Sky and if DAZN want to stop him extending with sky it is going to have to be multi fight deal with huge guarantees. That's a big commitment as well as there are other things to get around.

I don't see how AJ v Fury or AJ vs Wilder happens if AJ is on DAZN. How could ESPN and Fox in America do PPV on there side of the deal when AJ would be on DAZN. Nobody would buy the PPV.

Same as UK BT box office would run AJ v Fury as PPV but who would buy it when DAZN is avaliable.

I'm not sure how they work that out.

6. tee_birch

tee_birch Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 6, 2014
    I did the think RE: AJ Fury. Makes the tv split easier with Sky/BT than the DAZN model

7. Puroresu_Fan

Apr 6, 2016
    Na sky did well out of it. The ppv revenue generated was worth it alone.

Boxing on Sky with multiple promoters wasn't great. Cards in leisure centres just wasn't cutting it.

The budget given to matchroom wasn't even super high so I don't see how they could of continued to split the budget among multiple
    Promoters while trying to get quality shows.

Trafford likes this.
  8. Bubba

Bubba Rematch Clause!! Full Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Who is gonna be Sky's new boxing promoter?

9. Trafford

Trafford Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 29, 2018
    Although I think Team AJ will push for it to be on DAZN. Frank Warren would kick off big time.

my understanding is that DAZN would be willing to do PPV for that fight and give a package as part of it. For instance you buy the PPV you get 3 months free subscription

10. Puroresu_Fan

Apr 6, 2016
    Yeah that kind of offering seems more likely.